Home
Posted By: Angus1895 Burbot eel pout - 01/06/22
Heading to Clark canyon resivoir they got burbot in the water does any body got any advice for catching the weird looking buggers?
Posted By: JDK Re: Burbot eel pout - 01/06/22
We icefish for them. During the day, stomp on a smelt or shiner and lay it on the bottom in 60-100 feet of water. You can also use an airplane jig with a piece of bait. Bounce on bottom and jig slowly.

At night. Stomp on a smelt or shiner and lay it on the bottom in 6-25 feet of water. We like gravel bottoms.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Burbot eel pout - 01/06/22
I here they are good eating.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Burbot eel pout - 01/06/22
We keep talking about it... In Lake Michigan, in the Sturgeon Bay area, they (the WI DNR) advice not to eat too much of it. We hear what good eating they are too and wouldn't mind trying one or two. They are on the bottom, along with all the other crap on the bottom.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Burbot eel pout - 01/06/22
My buddy who fished them over in MN. said that he would trade anyone two walleye for one eel pout and that's saying something. The guy lived for fishing, was a charter boat captain and owned a restaurant. The Indian guy on TV's Life Below Zero show showed them fishing for them with set lines and he acted disappointed when they caught northern pike instead instead of an eel pout.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Burbot eel pout - 01/07/22
I think most of those caught in MT are i9n the deep holes of the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers. So should be ok to consume.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Burbot eel pout - 01/07/22
I'd like to catch a few!
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Burbot eel pout - 01/07/22
I caught a burbot in Minnesota through the ice. It was in the 1980 s I had no idea what they were like having. So I turned it back .
This is a new deal for me and I am excited
Posted By: rodman Re: Burbot eel pout - 01/15/22
sucker minnows are what worked in Minnesota for us Ice fishing
© 24hourcampfire