Home
Posted By: ihookem raising nightcrawlers - 01/10/22
I started trying to raise nightcrawlers this fall. I use 2 20 gal. totes , put in a bunch of dead grass, a bunch of good dirt , leaves and a steady supply of coffee grounds and old veggies from the kitchen. I put about 75 crawlers in one and about a month ago I put a dozen in another . Does anyone else do this?
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: raising nightcrawlers - 01/10/22
I haven't in a very long time
I'd have to do a lot of rigging to keep the fireants
out of the bed now. My grandpa used to have some big
wormbeds when I was a kid. We put loaves of
old bread and a gallon bucket of lake water in
and stirred up the bedding once a week or so.
The beds were always brimming full of good worms
and the little yellow eggs. We never had a problem
loading up the fish using those worms
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: raising nightcrawlers - 01/10/22
I should have also added that we used peat moss
and sphagnum moss in the beds with sand
Posted By: MOGC Re: raising nightcrawlers - 01/10/22
My grandpa loved to bluegill fish and had a worm bed about 3'x8' in one corner of his carport. That thing had a gozillion worms in it. Red wigglers were grandpa's specialty and a swipe of a little three pronged garden tool would turn up hundreds of fat wigglers. It was an art and a labor of love for grandpa. I took having plenty of worms for bluegill fishing for granted until grandpa passed on and his worm bed died with him. Paying $3.50 for 25 nearly dead worms in a cup to take my grandson bluegill fishing has made me want to start a worm bed of my own. Maybe when I retire...
Posted By: ihookem Re: raising nightcrawlers - 01/10/22
Cool grandpa that liked " bluegillin" . My grandpa didnt fish much but grandpa had a chicken coup. After 50 yrs. I remembered that. Funny how memories come back. As for me, I am doing nightcrawlers, they take longer that worms . I have seen on Youtube just MOGC said when there are thousands of worms and it is amazing how many worms can be raised.
Posted By: rodman Re: raising nightcrawlers - 01/15/22
been doing it for 50 years when I lived in Minnesota used them for Walleye
© 24hourcampfire