Home
I need a new net, the cable ties holding the bag together on the old one are getting worn and the gorilla tape over the cracks in the handle is pulling away. Otherwise a small amount of spinner components and maybe some bottom bouncers is all. I figure I got enough rods to get me through this year. How about you?
Need a new wire reel. Always buying new spoons/flashers/flies
I actually bought a Bass Tracker Classic XL today. I needed something smaller to get into the strip pits I normally fish. Some are tight enough I have to use my Gator to launch the boat. Boat inventory is in a bad way around here….
I may pick up a spare prop for the outboard soon. Mine is already fairly chewed up, so a few more good whacks on the river and it'll be about shot.

Other than that, I'm already pretty well set for this year.
I'm planning on buying a new triton 18 footer with a 150 merc this year. Ofcorse, I've had the same plan for the last 5 years too though lol.
Thinking about a little 12 foot vbottom. I have a 6hp
sitting in the shop that looks lonely
Have a Minn Kota Terrova on order and looking at an addition to the Garmin df
From the factory outlet store good luck on that.... you be 5 months out that's what happened to me
I wanted a smaller boat so I have a Polarcraft 178 Frontier on order putting a 115 Merc Pro XS

I sold my 1625 Lund Rebel
Ironically wanted something larger than my small boat but also something smaller than my large boat

I also ordered a Merc 20hp efi for my duck boat
These new 20s are only 99lbs and I hear they run very well

Hank
Boat boy what was the tag price on the 20hp merc?
Was out to Fleet & Farm the other day they marked down some Berkley, Daiwa and Shimano rods pretty cheap. When I can buy a new fishing rod for $7.50/12 each I get right after it. Bought 7 for $71.36 . I keep some fishing rods in my camper as well as both trucks. It's nice to keep several in each boat that way you don't have to move alot a stuff around to go....mb
Originally Posted by atvalaska
From the factory outlet store good luck on that.... you be 5 months out that's what happened to me
Reeds in MN
Well. I sold my LT10
Gheenoe. Used the funds to pay for a new 13' model and a 12'9 square stern GoldenHawk canoe. The extra size and weight of the LT10 made creek fishing more of a headache than it should have. Happy to be going back to a 13' model and the golden hawk will let me tap into some really off the path places.

Nothing new as far as tackle, rods, etc though.

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Boat boy what was the tag price on the 20hp merc?
mb

I don’t recall exact but I bought a 14ft used Grizzly and I like the little boat it has a 9.9 Merc 4 stoke and it moves it but just ain’t enough for me, if I was on a frog pond it would be fine but I am on a small river off the Saginaw Bay Lake Huron and I can run a ways. What caught me is the 99lbs but I blew that by a couple I added power trim and tilt. The 411 I am getting is these run very well

So efi /power to weight ratio
I think and hope it will be a winner
I have a mud motor for this boat also so at times I will want the Go Devil and spring etc the outboard
Hank

MB when is enough ammo or Rods enough
I have no idea that’s why I also seem to keep adding

When I post I think it’s worthy to note
I think Merc,Yamaha and Suzuki make GREAT outboards
But I work for Merc
Thanks for the info. On the what is enough ammo? The answer is you have enough after you die or your trying to swim to shore. But fishing rods and reels wgf it's only your business. My 73 Evinrude is 49 years old I want newer 25hp with electric start and 4 stroke . A alternator for battery charging and my partially torn rotator cuff says electric start
Trying to find a new small motor is a bitch...mb
Bob it sure is tough finding OBs today

There is a bunch of factors but man when you find your 25 4 stroke you will love it

But ironically I don’t follow the small ones that much and before I ordered the 20 I was talking to a dealer friend and I didn’t realize how common tilt and trim is currently on the tiller motors and it makes sense guys of my age and more mature twisting around and tilting the motor is just a pain
If your going to have a battery for electric start may as just use it for the trim
Hank
Boat boy I got ruined back in 1980 I bought a 16' Alumacraft with a 20" transom and a 40hp tiller Merc. I didn't get the electric start so no alternator or trim and tilt. 2nd notch up on the trim and gas tank as far forward as I could get it. It would run on the last 4.5' of hull at 37-38 mph. Paid 2150 for it new. That won't buy a 9.9 merc these days never mind the boat or trailer. Yeah I just like the ease and portability of 14-16' v hull aluminum fishing boats, don't get any simpler. Mb
What the [bleep] are you talking about
Originally Posted by blanket
What the [bleep] are you talking about

Well blanket the topic of the thread is new.purchases and boat boy and I were talking about getting new smaller outboards that allright with you?...mb
Not really planned. Old VHF radio on the groupa slaya kicked the bucket. Replaced it with a new standard horizon.
Re-inventing my old boat this year. Every 20 yrs I give it a makeover. Around the turn of the millennium I decked it over, this time it will be just pods on the back, a shooting deck(removeable) for archery carp and I'm building a surface drive motor from a kit.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Hopefully a fish finder. I want one that can be portable and also has GPS. The big factor is power draw. I use them so much on flyins that recharging batteries in remote locations becomes an issue.
Show me fish down below, mapping on the side, hold all the other bells and whistles please.

Osky
Originally Posted by Osky
Hopefully a fish finder. I want one that can be portable and also has GPS. The big factor is power draw. I use them so much on flyins that recharging batteries in remote locations becomes an issue.
Show me fish down below, mapping on the side, hold all the other bells and whistles please.

Osky

Please post your data on how to save battery life I am very interested I assume the first and largest factor would be screen size
I am very curious
Hank
Originally Posted by boatboy

Osky

Please post your data on how to save battery life I am very interested I assume the first and largest factor would be screen size
I am very curious
Hank

I said mapping, what I actually meant was GPS not underwater mapping. I was corrected on that by a tech today.
I contacted Humminbird, Lawrence, and Garman this morning and posed the simple questions. No reply’s yet.
How many amps per hour do the units draw ?
What percentage does increased screen size bump that up?
What does going to more complex transducers change things if at all?
Osky
Humming bird tech
1 (800) 633-1468

Lowrance Simrad tech
1 (800) 728-4487

Garmin tech
1 (800) 800-1420

Maybe that will help
Hank
Thanks Boat… I called them all this morning and was machine informed to text instead so I did.

Osky
Traded my 2012 electric start 20 hp Yamaha four stroke in on a new 2022 25 hp fuel injected Yamaha electric start this morning $1800 and trade. Waiting on a new minnkota terrovo and Garmin side view plus.
Just ordered a new garmin, a 94SV. Will be fun to play with.
Originally Posted by FishinHank

I am very curious your thoughts on this unit after you play with it

Hank
I have the 94 hd Garmin, love it. The Panoptik is an additional transducer
Originally Posted by FishinHank

I am very curious your thoughts on this unit after you play with it

Hank

I'm actually going to be using it in saltwater. Sidescan and clear vue is useless to me here so I went with a medium chirp ducer. Going to use it for trolling and deep water jigging. The transducer I really wanted to use isn't compatible with the UHd 94sv so I had to settle for the one I got. Should work ok. If I go ice fishing on a vacation I might get the panoptic ducer.
I would really like to try Pan optics transducer
Glad these are compatible so I can

I am sure I will at some point
The transducer is pricey as you all know

Hank
I just bought 2 new 12lb downrigger pancake weights...
[quote=Osky]Hopefully a fish finder. I want one that can be portable and also has GPS. The big factor is power draw. I use them so much on flyins that recharging batteries in remote locations becomes an issue.

Osky

I am very curious
Hank
[/quote

So here we go..
I use 7.5ah batteries made by Dakota for remote fly in guiding. Chosen for weight concerns.
A Garmin striker 4 or similar will run 14hrs per charge. The striker 5 drops that number to 11 hours or 10 if you are using all the mapping functions. The same size units in Humminbird models were nearly the same except the Helix 5 with mapping and all will run around 7-8 hours to that battery charged.
I broke it down to the “4” models use about .4 amps per hour, the 5” screens .5 amps per hour and the 7” screens Nearly 1 amp per hour. Color screens, Bells and whistles add to the draw.
I did not search larger screens as I don’t use them.
By comparison I have an older Lawrence black and white 5”, no other bells and whistles on it to speak of and it runs 4 solid days of at least 8 hours per before the battery is down.

Osky
Originally Posted by blanket
Traded my 2012 electric start 20 hp Yamaha four stroke in on a new 2022 25 hp fuel injected Yamaha electric start this morning $1800 and trade. Waiting on a new minnkota terrovo and Garmin side view plus.

First day on the water with the new Yamaha first 2 hours break in
How did it do with the new upgrade?
I ordered a new Ranger VS 1782 SC aluminum deep V last October. It came into the dealership in late March but the sales guy mistakenly ordered the 1682 instead of the 1782.
Long story but they re- ordered but it will have to be a 2023 build which goes into production on June 1. I am glad I didn't sell my 16 foot Lund. .
Dang, hope they treated you right on that deal!
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Dang, hope they treated you right on that deal!

They did try to make me feel better so I'll give them that. Prices went up about 3500 22 to 23 model and they said they would honor the 22 price plus knock an additional 3 grand off. The fishfinder I upgraded to isn't an option on the new model so they bought one and said they would switch out the standard model with the upgraded hds live. It was a horrible screw up but I think they are doing alot more than many places to make it right.
Got WavePro pedestals for my seats. Hopefully no more sore back.
You were right ,Garmin side view plus from factory outlet now June delivery, what a bunch of liars
Not with the economy in recession as it is.
[quote=Osky]Hopefully a fish finder. I want one that can be portable and also has GPS. The big factor is power draw. I use them so much on flyins that recharging batteries in remote locations becomes an issue.

Osky

I am very curious
Hank
[/quote

So here we go..
I use 7.5ah batteries made by Dakota for remote fly in guiding. Chosen for weight concerns.
A Garmin striker 4 or similar will run 14hrs per charge. The striker 5 drops that number to 11 hours or 10 if you are using all the mapping functions. The same size units in Humminbird models were nearly the same except the Helix 5 with mapping and all will run around 7-8 hours to that battery charged.
I broke it down to the “4” models use about .4 amps per hour, the 5” screens .5 amps per hour and the 7” screens Nearly 1 amp per hour. Color screens, Bells and whistles add to the draw.
I did not search larger screens as I don’t use them.
By comparison I have an older Lawrence black and white 5”, no other bells and whistles on it to speak of and it runs 4 solid days of at least 8 hours per before the battery is down.

Osky

Results. I had a Garmin striker 4, a humminbird 5, and an older humminbird 561 along with my last group out.
The garmin 4 is color small screen and did run 14 hours on my 7.5ah Dakota battery.
The Humminbird 5 was the basic model, color, no sidescan or crazy stuff. 9 1/2 hours on the same battery.
The old humminbird 561 is a 5” black and white screen, basic no gps, mapping etc. this one ran 36 plus hours on the same 7.5ah battery.

The color feature and constant gps positioning were obviously the big draws.

Osky
Picking up a used Shimano Tekota 800. Have a roll of copper here that I'd like to put to use. Already have the carbon drag washers and will quickly swap out the O.E.M. washers, the carbon washers are great!
I broke down and picked up two new Mercury 50hp tiller 4 strokes. I was looking for the One for the 18’ Lund I’m reriveting and reconfiguring out-in the shop when I saw the two 50s at the dealership sitting side by side. I was given a great buy for taking the two, still in the crates.
I may pick up a jet lower unit for the other for my river boat but I’m thinking too much versatility lost.
I keep a lund 16’ deep V down on the Flaming Gorge where I’m going next week. That boat has a real nice older 40hp Johnson on it which I could replace with the 50 4 stroke. I’m bringing that boat back north with me when I come back and it may go down the road for something bigger so who knows.
Cross that bridge when I come to it.

Osky
Have the copper spooled up and the new carbon drag washers installed in the Tekota 800. Time to get back on the water! Found a Talora wire/leadcore trolling rod that will match up perfectly with the 800, going to look at it tonight. Also found a guy in Lake Geneva, WI selling a ton of salmon tackle and equipment, but he'll only sell as a package, won't sell stuff separately. Too bad, he's got some nice stuff, but his asking price of $4200 for it all is a little too rich for me right now! Lol!
Pretty sure I’ll replace the three trolling batteries for the Ulterra with lithiums this winter. It is a hefty expense, maybe $2k or so for batteries and chargers. But they should last 10 years and lighten up the boat by 100 pounds as well as other advantages. Also considering a Garmin live scope depth/fish finder.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Pretty sure I’ll replace the three trolling batteries for the Ulterra with lithiums this winter. It is a hefty expense, maybe $2k or so for batteries and chargers. But they should last 10 years and lighten up the boat by 100 pounds as well as other advantages. Also considering a Garmin live scope depth/fish finder.

Just curious, have you looked at the Dakota Lithium batteries?

Osky

Osky

Have not decided which brand to go with yet. Have not researched the Dakota. Plenty of boaters recommend the Ionic's.
I might base my decision on what the dealers around me carry so it will give me a leg up if I need customer service down the road.

Osky

Have not decided which brand to go with yet. Have not researched the Dakota. Plenty of boaters recommend the Ionic's.
I might base my decision on what the dealers around me carry so it will give me a leg up if I need customer service down the road.

Good points. I bought mine online and they were great to deal with. The batteries hold a ton of juice and are less than 1/4 the weight of lead acids. Then again maybe all lithiums are? These are the first I’ve tried out.

Osky
Garmin live scope has not been that impressive
New 14' Lews dipping rod should be here tomorrow.

Hit the lake again Friday to try ro get a few more crappie for thr freezer.
New boat I tore up my Penn yan hitting a submerged rock doing 25 mph too much damage to warrant the cost of trying to repair
Last night I just closed the deal on this a 2700 Tiara Pursuit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
New boat I tore up my Penn yan hitting a submerged rock doing 25 mph too much damage to warrant the cost of trying to repair

Nice boat. You will like it I’ve owned 2.

What were your thoughts on your Penn Yann? A guy I know wants me to back him on one for charter fishing.

Osky
I loved my Penn Yan and if I could have found another I would have bought one,I was looking for a 265 Pro Hunter or a 28'-29' Predator or Prowler and none to be found

Currently have 2700 Tiara. Previous owner has manual for everything on the boat from rear props to the Crusaders to bulbs in the nav lights. If you ever need info or have questions shoot me a pm. Also, if you don't have AP, the Raymarine EV200 is perfect and easy to install, just make sure you get the ruder sensor. I'm usually docked at Olcott or the Oak if you wanna check anything out.
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

Currently have 2700 Tiara. Previous owner has manual for everything on the boat from rear props to the Crusaders to bulbs in the nav lights. If you ever need info or have questions shoot me a pm. Also, if you don't have AP, the Raymarine EV200 is perfect and easy to install, just make sure you get the ruder sensor. I'm usually docked at Olcott or the Oak if you wanna check anything out.
Thank you appreciate it! Looks like I'm going with a Garmin AP so it with communicate with my other electronics when I upgrade them Rick(Yankee Troller) is hooking me up with my add on's
Main reason I went with the Raymarine....so I could network. We still think thr best thing on thr boat is thr microwave and coffee pot 😁. Hopefully next year fishes better than this year.
I loved my Penn Yan and if I could have found another I would have bought one,I was looking for a 265 Pro Hunter or a 28'-29' Predator or Prowler and none to be found

Thanks I appreciate the input. Your going to love your T… both of mine were beyond excellent floaters.

Osky

Is that a 33 open on the other side of yours?
Well I talked the local Cabelas manager into giving me all their trade ins from the March rod reel sale trade in days . There were about 70 rods and reels everything from the 202 zebco to Shimano spin reels. I had previously asked the GFP coordinator for their " becoming a outdoorsman program" like they teach kids and women or anybody who wants too, how to fish. If they needed any equipment and he replied they indeed took donations. So I told the manager at Cabelas I'd work them over( clean, lube, line etc ) and donate them to the GFP Outdoor campus. Got it done and put them to work. Will do the same next year too. It was something new for me I enjoyed it..mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well I talked the local Cabelas manager into giving me all their trade ins from the March rod reel sale trade in days . There were about 70 rods and reels everything from the 202 zebco to Shimano spin reels. I had previously asked the GFP coordinator for their " becoming a outdoorsman program" like they teach kids and women or anybody who wants too, how to fish. If they needed any equipment and he replied they indeed took donations. So I told the manager at Cabelas I'd work them over( clean, lube, line etc ) and donate them to the GFP Outdoor campus. Got it done and put them to work. Will do the same next year too. It was something new for me I enjoyed it..mb

WOW
What a great gesture!!!
Most fishing tackle, is meant to catch fishermen, not fish. laugh
Buy new? *NEVER*

All my stuff is from the 60's & 70's. 100% "old school" from my childhood years fishing with my dad. I think the most modern of all rod & reel combos I own is a Shakespeare Ugly Stick mated with a Garcia 230 spinning reel, both from the late 80's (my wife uses it).

I make my own inline spinners, crankbaits, spoons, etc... all from those "kits" that you can buy from Jann's Netcraft --- www.jannsnetcraft.com

Just added a Minn Kota bow mount Powerdrive V2 with iPilot to my little Gregor. Spot Lock is worth the price of admission.
I have a new lead mold that is LEWT certified if anyone needs some🤣
Just having fun guys
They fit in walleye belly and not come out?
I bought an old 1986 alumacraft bandit back in May. Seemed like gas prices jumped to about $5 a gallon and temps jumped up into the 90's the next week and I have yet to take it out.
© 24hourcampfire