Home
Posted By: Tarkio Flourocarbon line - 07/21/22
Boy had a baitcaster respooled. Ended up getting flouro on it.

What is the deal with this stuff?

What is it supposed to do better than mono? What is the selling point? Downside?
Posted By: efw Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/22/22
Selling point is the way it refracts light makes it virtually invisible under water.

I could be wrong but I think it’s supposed to be more abrasion-resistant than mono also.

Downside is it has a high degree of memory and if you don’t spoil it properly it can make for pretty serious birds nests.

I went for the half-way; I run braid (which is super strong for its diameter and resistant to abrasion) with a fluro leader.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/22/22
+1 on the braid with a fluro leader. Got it on all my spinning stuff. Tried the fluro on a baitcaster but went back to mono. Like efw said, "pretty serious birds nests".
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/22/22
I have 30 lb berkley shield on a casting reel. So far no birdsnests
Posted By: hardway Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/23/22
Less visible and it sinks.... hard to manage compared to mono or braid and crappy knot strength... if you get a kink in it you are done....s it will break at that kink.

I only use it (whole spool) on my deep jig rods because it transmits vibration better on semi slack line. Other than that I only use it as a leader with braid.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/23/22
We only use flouro for leaders.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/23/22
Best use for fluro IME other than leaders or as hardway said, jigging, is trolling in clear water. YMMV.

I know flurocarbon line's recommended for various uses in magazines & by some of the pros on you tube & fishing channels but they're a considerable step up in casting ability and overall knowledge using fishing gear compared to most recreational fishermen.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/23/22
Only downside I've heard is that mono will tolerate a bit more stretch that Flouro. Flouro's more likely to break from heavy shock. I went back to mono leaders when fly fishing for steelhead. Typically swinging flies on a near straight line, and some of those fish hit like freight trains. Add in ones "set the hook" response to a hit, and I was breaking off fish.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/24/22
Floro is absolutely invisible underwater.
It's more abrasion resistant than mono or braid.
Because it's invisible, you can use a heavier line and the fish don't see it.

I troll high mountain lakes mostly for trout.
Rocks and toothy Browns and Cutthroats can be tough on mono.
My standard set up is braid mainline, barrel swivel with a Floro leader.

I have no problems with knots
With Floro I use the Trilene knot.
With braid, nanofil knot.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/24/22
Good advice from above. It is generally stiffer and less malleable making it also more abrasion resistant. It also is much less forgiving than regular or co-polymer mono when it comes to stretch. Those are the major reasons we use it offshore trolling as we get a good solid hookup when we lines way out. Unless fishing in tuna waters, the visibility factor isn't as important. I love the stuff but use it only for leaders or as a topshot over braided mainline. On light tackle with braided line, I do use it for my leader. If visibility is important to you, they do make 'hybrid' lines of a sort that I think have fluorocarbon outer layer or coating with regular mono inside and performs like regular mono. I know they make 100% fluorocarbon line that is advertised for use as mainline but I don't know anyone who is using it. I would think that if the new stuff works well, some outdoor writer would do an article on it.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/24/22
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/25/22
Most of my leaders are fluorocarbon. If I need my lure/bait to float, I use mono.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/25/22
For leaders only... knot strength is not an issue I only use Segar fluorocarbon IMO no others compare
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/30/22
I spooled up flouro once to fish and it broke twice on good fish. I was fishing for Brown Trout with a big plastic minnow with 3 trebles. They were rolling and the hook cut the line. Never had that problem with mono so I went back to mono.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
For leaders only... knot strength is not an issue I only use Segar fluorocarbon IMO no others compare
Segar is what I use, it's the good stuff.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/31/22
I like fluorocarbon coated copolymer line like P-Line CX for my mainline. Best of both worlds IMO.
Posted By: Osky Re: Flourocarbon line - 07/31/22
Guiding north of the border I have had many clients using floro while I used mono. On walleyes or pike I have not seen them catch any more than I do when my line is in the water.
Granted fish in the remote lakes always seem hungry and not fussy.

When running lines for lake trout I have made long floro leaders and mono leaders and run them at the same time. Wether on Superior or northern remote lakes I have seen no difference.

Tarpon fishing I’ve not seen floro outfish mono.

Maybe in the states where fish are pressured more they are sharper and more observant and the floro makes sense?

Nothing scientific, just my personal observations.

Osky
Posted By: efw Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/11/22
I have to add that I’ve habitually run Berkley Fireline to a fluro leader as I said earlier in this thread.

I picked up a heavier rod/reel combo recently and decided to try Berkley Vanish which is 100% fluro.

I followed the tips that Randy Blauwkat (sp?) made on his “Intuitive Angling” YouTube channel for spooling fluro.

I also tied a sinker that has a swivel through it onto the end of my line, set the drag really loose, and had my son walk it down the street. When I got near the end of the spool I had him stop, I tightened down the drag and reeled him back. I told him it was the best fight I’d ever had from a sucker… wink

All those steps seemed to have saved me some trouble as I’ve had a couple trips, including much casting of inline spinners for northern, and no birds nests.

It is nice not to have to worry so much about leaders, and to feel freer to retie after a tough fight in which my line is drug across rocks and lumber and such.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/14/22
Anyone use a Polymar knot on the Fluro line?
Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/14/22
Anyone use a Polymar knot on the Fluro line?
Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: hardway Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/14/22
I do not.... unless you keep the lines perfectly parallel when you tie it, it will cause a weak spot..... I prefer an improved clinch knot or a San Diego jam knot. I only use a palomar with mono or braid.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/14/22
San Diego or Spangler on flouro to terminal tackle here.

FG for spectra to flouro (or mono).

4-turn Surgeon for mono to flouro.
Posted By: efw Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/14/22
This is very helpful fellas I have always used a palomar on everything I guess I gotta change up!

San Diego jam looks simple enough… tho nothing can beat palomar for simplicity….

Posted By: logger Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/14/22
For those of you who use heavier fluoro (i.e. 40 lb) to terminal tackle (think trolling for chinook) how many wraps would you use of a San Diego jam knot?
Posted By: RickBin Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by logger
For those of you who use heavier fluoro (i.e. 40 lb) to terminal tackle (think trolling for chinook) how many wraps would you use of a San Diego jam knot?

40 lb flouro I use 7 wraps.

60 gets 6.

80 gets 5

Edited to add:

Caught this tuna:

[Linked Image]

On this 80-lb flouro leader, San Diego jam knot:

[Linked Image]

Closeup of San Diego jam:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: efw Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/14/22
Bro dat sushi doe
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/15/22
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
We only use flouro for leaders.

Yeah. I replaced mono with it and found it 'stronger' in some ways but it feels 'starched', less pliable. compared to mono. Did save some lures mono would have lost me in reeds.
I think it is best used for a leader tied to mono.

Of course I am too lazy for any such fancy rigging but if I were serious about my fishing would go that route.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/15/22
You know why they named it "vanish" don't you?
Because as soon as a fish hits your bait, the line snaps and your gear vanishes.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/16/22
I fish spinners for trout in rivers pretty often. Spool up 4lb mono, tie to an inline swivel, then 10-12" of 6lb flouro.

No line twist, and no breakoffs.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Flourocarbon line - 08/16/22
On light leaders can't see fluorocarbon to tie it on !!!!
© 24hourcampfire