Home
Posted By: woodson Gulp alive minnow experience? - 01/18/23
Cheat code is throwing a beetle spin with a 1” gulp alive minnow with the slowest retrieve possible. Just incredible how much they produce.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
They do work well. Fish definitely hang onto the lure longer than most other plastics. I use the 2 1/2" a lot for trout. Caught this 8 lb rainbow on one a while back
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I use them ice fishing sometimes... dinged a few catfish, crappies, and bass deadsticking with them.

The Gulp Alive Waxies have been my go-to ice fishing panfish bait the past few seasons. I catch just as well as with live waxies or maggots, and you don't have the bother of trying to keep them alive. Overall, they're a pretty good product line. I have some of the nightcrawlers to try for suckers and redhorse from the boat too, but I haven't used them yet.
Got them in 3” one time fish them on a plain jig head. Bass would come out from nowhere and crush them.
Thanks for the tips!
Posted By: efw Re: Gulp alive minnow experience? - 01/19/23
Yep these things work as well as live bait for me.

Similar to the OP I run a 2.5-3” minnow on a jig head with a large Colorado spinner blade (beetle spin style from Cabela’s) nice and slow and it kills big smallies, largemouth, and northern.

Gonna try em on little trout magnet jig heads for trout.

I’ve run the waxies on a jog for steelhead too…
Originally Posted by efw

Similar to the OP I run a 2.5-3” minnow on a jig head with a large Colorado spinner blade (beetle spin style from Cabela’s) nice and slow and it kills big smallies, largemouth, and northern.

Try the 2 1/2" on a 1/32" oz long shank jig head. They flat out kill the trout here in VA and Wva .
Posted By: efw Re: Gulp alive minnow experience? - 01/19/23
Thanks for the tip I’ll try that!
Originally Posted by efw
Thanks for the tip I’ll try that!
ditto
Wife and I prefer live minnows, but they have become all but impossible to find at all the local bait shops.

Looking forward to giving these a try.
Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: rong Re: Gulp alive minnow experience? - 01/20/23
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by efw

Try the 2 1/2" on a 1/32" oz long shank jig head. They flat out kill the trout here in VA and Wva .

What color head have you found to be better,or does it depend on clarity?
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by efw

What color head have you found to be better,or does it depend on clarity?
I haven't seen much difference. Normally use unpainted to go for a natural look.
Posted By: rong Re: Gulp alive minnow experience? - 01/21/23
Thanks
Gulp! minnows are awesome. I use the 2” on trout and crappies, the 3” for smallmouth and walleye, the 4” in saltwater.
Posted By: Sako Re: Gulp alive minnow experience? - 01/22/23
I use them with trout Magnet jig heads and wear out fish... everything from small mouth, Large mouth and a ton of bream, crappie and strangely a 28 pound flathead on ultralight gear... all with 4 pound test... If fishing is low, I can always catch something on the gulp minnow in either 1 inch or 3 inch
Posted By: efw Re: Gulp alive minnow experience? - 01/22/23
Man these threads get me super excited for the upcoming season I’m so ready
How are you guys presenting these things for trout? Do you jig it or just slowly reel in or let it sit? Do they work in lakes or mostly for stream fishing?

I'm anxious to give them a try.
Originally Posted by Dude270
How are you guys presenting these things for trout? Do you jig it or just slowly reel in or let it sit? Do they work in lakes or mostly for stream fishing?

We probably fish some of the same areas
I try to just keep it moving. Twitch it some . But keep it moving. Long shank 1/32oz jug head is what I use most . All trout will eat them but they seem like candy to Brooks and Browns
Originally Posted by efw
Man these threads get me super excited for the upcoming season I’m so ready
C'mon up and I'll get you on some ice!

I try to just keep it moving. Twitch it some . But keep it moving. Long shank 1/32oz jug head is what I use most . All trout will eat them but they seem like candy to Brooks and Browns

We probably do. I had the kiddo up at Elkhorn lake earlier in the week. I prefer stream fishing but north river was low and we couldn't catch a fish in it to save our lives. We did get a few at Elkhorn.

Thanks for the tips on the minnows!

We probably do. I had the kiddo up at Elkhorn lake earlier in the week. I prefer stream fishing but north river was low and we couldn't catch a fish in it to save our lives. We did get a few at Elkhorn.

Thanks for the tips on the minnows!
You're welcome. Yeah I'd rather fish streams too North river upper and the Gorge section are my closest favorites unless I go to Bullpasture or Jackson
© 24hourcampfire