Home
Posted By: wabigoon Corn, and marshmallows? - 02/01/23
Alternating on the hook, is it just carp bait, or do other fish bite on it to?
Posted By: blanket Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 02/01/23
trout
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 02/01/23
+1, trout for sure.

A small marshmallow up on the shank of a #6 hook with a small piece of nightcrawler threaded on below it with a little bit of the worm, about an 1/8th", hanging off the tip can work good for trout too.
Posted By: efw Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 02/01/23
STOCKED trout

Wild trout not so much
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 02/01/23
I have cleaned brown trout and burbot with canned corn in their stomachs.

I know Kokanee like white corn.

I use corn 4 chum in the ice holes
Can maybe get a catfish. I’ve caught some on my corn doughball for carp.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 02/02/23
Before all the synthetic powerbait and stuff like that corn , mini marshmallows , worms and cheese used to be the go to for stocked trout
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 02/08/23
I have caught literally thousands of stocker trout on canned corn.
I use white shoepeg corn when trolling for Kokanee and trout. I toughen it up with canning salt and drain the water as it seeps out. Then, I make five or six scent/color combinations.
We used the marshmallow worm combo when I was a kid.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 07/18/23
I was under the understanding that Colonel corn was not good for fish because they can't digest the shell then they get full but they ain't getting any nutrients maybe that was an internet rumor but there wasn't any internet in the 60s lol
I’ve heard that too. It was mostly trout. Also heard that about deer. So I guess it’s on who are you going to believe.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 07/18/23
my Dad was a bit of a outlaw. I remember when I was real little him throwing corn in the creek waiting on 12 o clock opening morning (trout). Then I would throw a corn baited hook in. According to the pictures I did pretty well
Posted By: Osky Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 07/19/23
Caught a lot of sunfish and bluegills over the years with corn. Not sure on the marshmallows.

Osky
Posted By: k22hornet Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 07/28/23
I've been using corn for carp for many years, and have caught exactly one stocker rainbow on it.

Buy a 1lb bag of frozen kernel corn, add 6-7 tablespoons of plain white sugar to it, and head to the lake. By the time you get there, the corn is starting to thaw and absorb the sugar. Throw 2-3 handfuls of this corn in the water. Use a slip sinker and circle hooks, drop your line into the center of the chum, and wait.

When a carp takes that bait, they usually hit it hard, there is no delicate nibbling. On many occasions, I've had to chase the rod as it was being pulled into the water.

Catching 12-15" trout on a mountain stream, with a flyrod, is fun, but, sometimes I just need to catch some really big, hard fighting fish. Carp are the only fish in Colorado that I can be confident of hooking several 10lb+ fish in a few hours.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 08/02/23
Corn is reliable trout bait.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 08/08/23
I have never got the first fish on corn. But lake just west of kalispell, Mont I used to use those little marshmellow's and a but we caught in the water there and got trout. Seems there was so much grass on the bottom the marshmello's floated the bait up where the troutcould get it. Those bugs we called itchy bugs. Walk along the shore and find them under rocks, lot of them around back then!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 09/11/23
Originally Posted by efw
STOCKED trout

Wild trout not so much

^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
Shore casting, out into Lake Michigan, in the fall, at the mouth of a creek, I've caught more than one trout putting a mini marshmallow on each hook of the treble hook on whatever spoon I was using. Not all the time, but enough times to keep trying it.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 09/12/23
Corn works on winter flounder in salt water as well. Both as bait and as chum. Used to fish Quincy in Massachusetts as a kid.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 09/12/23
Golden Nuggets…..deadly on browns and rainbows
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Corn, and marshmallows? - 09/13/23
When I was in my teens I read an article that mentioned that trout rely heavily on their sense of "smell", stating that cheese and garlic scents seemed especially appealing to them, so my younger brother an I raided Mom's Kraft singles and went brookie fishing. Those beautiful, northern Michigan native stream trout loved that stuff.
© 24hourcampfire