Home
Posted By: SS336 Old fish skin mounts - 03/13/23
Old school fish skin mounts, anyone still have them?
My only one is this large mouth bass caught in 1972 in Ct. it has held up surprisingly well for its 50year old age.
Have 2 more, rainbow trout and a redfish, but they are replica mounts.
If you have a skin mounts post them up, tell us how old. Would like to see them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/13/23
No old mounts. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/13/23
48 inch 48 lb Alagnak King taken on a fly in 1993. Anthony Canova of Jonas Bros. in Denver did the skin mount with a molded head. Said you just couldn't get all the oil out of a real skull.

Attached picture IMG_6544.JPG
Posted By: 1minute Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23
Have a male and female Lahontan trout done in 1982. Will have to take a pick as they are in my office. Wife caught the larger male.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23
We had several around when I was a kid. A 7lb bass dad caught and a pair of 2lb bluegills my mom and her sister caught on the same day. The sun coming through the window of my dad’s gas station turned them to dust over about 20 years and they all went to the dump.

A buddy of mine had a skin mount of an 82lb King he caught hanging over his mantle. It was done by a taxidermist in Alaska and was a really great mount.

The cool thing about the replicas now is that you don’t have to do it right away. I have pictures and measurements of a 71lb King and a big Northern I caught that I’m going to get done someday.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23
Limapapa that is a beauty for sure and in nice condition. I have seen some skin mounts that are just ratty looking and some pass the test of time.

1minute, please take a picture of those two. Cool that you and your wife each caught one.

Kid, I like replica mounts for that reason also. Some times you just don’t have the money or you don’t want to kill the fish. Sometimes you just want to eat it. 😁
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23
I had a 6 lb 12 oz bass skin mounted 5 years ago. The taxi did a good job and it looks very realistic. I didn't want a repli fish. I caught a 31.5" walleye years ago that I still sometimes regret not getting mounted but I ate it.
Posted By: Big Sky Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23
This is my 30 year old brook trout.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

This second photo is just to give perspective to how big this brook actually is compared to the birds.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23
My wife has a 30 pounder fish skin mount and she's not afraid to point it out to me.

Posted By: Limapapa Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23
Nice Laker, Mick. Granby fish?
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by Big Sky

This second photo is just to give perspective to how big this brook actually is compared to the birds.

WOW nice Brookie Big Sky, where did you catch it, Labrador? How much did it weigh?

KB
Posted By: efw Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/14/23

Ho Lee [bleep]
Wow, that’s a huge brook trout!
Originally Posted by MickinColo
My wife has a 30 pounder fish skin mount and she's not afraid to point it out to me.

Wives are like that. 😂
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/15/23
At the cabin, there is a nice bass skin.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/15/23
A co-workder Isa Taxidermist, he still does skin mounts.
Prefers them actually.

Is that unusual?
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/15/23
Big Sky nice brook trout! Love those colors.

Here is my trio from the Madison River all caught between Hebgen and Earthquake lakes. It has been at least 25 years since I caught them. I still remember exactly where each was caught.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/15/23
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Nice Laker, Mick. Granby fish?

Taylor Park
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/15/23

Very nice brookie. I've got a 5 1/2 pound brook that was 22" caught in Wva years ago. It's a pretty mount but the size is nowhere close
5 1/2 pound 22" brookie from Wva about 15 years ago.
Posted By: Big Sky Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/15/23
Troutnut, it was in Utah. I wish I would have weighed it but I did not.
Troutnut, it was in Utah. I wish I would have weighed it but I did not.
Definitely a good one . That would be a state record in most places back east
Posted By: Big Sky Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/15/23
It wasn't far from the state record in Utah either, but it didn't quite make it. I lived in Montana most of my adult life and had I caught it there it would have easily been the state record. That fact crossed my mind often when I looked at it on my wall in Montana.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/17/23
As mentioned above: Lahontan Cutthroat Trout pair in spring breeding plumage. About a 21-inch male on top and a lesser female below. Captured in 1982 from Oregon's stocked Mann Lake with Nevada's Pyramid Lake being the original source.

Mann Lake was artificial tackle only and was mostly catch and release. From memory, there was a window where we were allowed a 2-fish daily limit. Virtually unknown out in the desert until we had some exceptional water years and the lake and fish expanded significantly. Some visiting writers published their experiences and it went from an essentially unused/unknown resource, even on holidays, to a spot with 5 or 6 planes landing on the road and a dozen Winnebago's with barking dogs and screaming kids about every weekend. With our extended drought over the past decade, it was reduced from about a square mile to a dust bowl about 2 years back.

Given this winter's precip, it may refill, but I don't know if it will be restocked or not. Speculation was its demise was due to extended drought and possibly a nearby pivot that lowered the water table sustaining the lake. The trout lived solely on insect life, did not have the chubs available in Pyramid, and could not attain the 30"+ dimensions found in the original source. In the early 2000's some bait fisherman inadvertently stocked the lake with goldfish that matured, reproduced, and stirred up the bottom such that vegetation ceased growing.

The trout turned into big headed snakes with few insects to forage upon. The entire lake was killed, and then restocked. Our dry decade started in about 2010 when both lake and fishery began shrinking.

It was one of those desert spots that we got to experience in the best of times and was one of those places where one could start out a child with toothy 18 to 20-inch fish being the average. Catches of up to 80 or 90 per day were possible mostly on wooly buggers and gold ribbed hares ears for us.

I do like the old skin mounts thinking that scale patterns etc are more evident and realistic.

Apologize for the picture quality, as this is the first image I've ever posted that was secured with a phone. Don't tell Cookie.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by Troutnut
5 1/2 pound 22" brookie from Wva about 15 years ago.
Loving the Remington Duplex loads. I remember trying some of those about 30 years ago. The 4x6 killed a few feathered critters for me.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/17/23
Very cool mounts on display. Thanks for the pictures 1minute, nice old mount. I won’t tell cookie but I think she knows. 😁
I have to say those brook trout make a very handsome presentation.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/18/23
48” 30# Musky from N. WI. Caught in 2008.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/18/23
Wow! That’s a big one. Great mount, very well done. I thought by 08 most taxidermists had gone to replica mounts.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Old fish skin mounts - 03/18/23
Yes Replica mounts were going strong by 2008. After releasing hundreds of smaller muskies over the last 30 or so years I decided to keep this one since it was my largest. Ron Lax Taxidermy did a great job.
Posted By: overmax Re: Old fish skin mounts - 04/06/23

Here are a couple of mounts my dad had done about 15 years ago, not trophies or the biggest he’d caught. Just decor for his man cave.
© 24hourcampfire