Posted By: northern_dave what is this? - 07/19/11
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: what is this? - 07/19/11
guess I'm calling it a drum.
Posted By: ingwe Re: what is this? - 07/19/11
No dummy....its a fish! grin
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: what is this? - 07/19/11
Definitely looks like a freshwater drum.
Really blue on the head. Dorsal fin was folded in these pics.

Posted By: rattler Re: what is this? - 07/19/11
yep its a drum.....lil bastards actually have alot of fight in them.....i catch them in the lake every once in a while, when i hook one i usually think ive got a real good walleye or northern and am disappointed to discover a lil drum usually only a pound or two....state record is north of 20 pounds, prolly be real sporty to hook into one that size.....
Pam cought this one last night in a river trolling a spoon.

I guess they have some kind of fish ivory rock things in their heads, earbones... supposed to be good luck, indians and early traders made jewelry out of them.

Posted By: tedthorn Re: what is this? - 07/19/11
Freshwater redfish.....drum

They are rubbery textured meat....I don't keep them.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: what is this? - 07/19/11
Sheep'shead or fresh water drum.
Posted By: BGunn Re: what is this? - 07/20/11
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Sheep'shead or fresh water drum.

Correct, Lake Erie is full of them, we catch them all the time when perch & walleye fishing.
They will hit on anything, worms, minnows, trolled worm harnesses, stick baits.....

I never ate one myself, but I've been told their not bad to eat. I think I remember someone saying they are boney.
Posted By: BwanaND Re: what is this? - 07/21/11
Some around here refer to them as Jesus fish as the story goes it was supposed to be the fish Jesus fed the crowds with.

If you look at the bones you mentioned N.D. you will see they have the letter "J" scribed on them though one is the mirror image.
Posted By: yukonal Re: what is this? - 07/22/11
sheephead...
Posted By: digger44 Re: what is this? - 07/22/11
It's a freshwater drum.. sheep's head is a salt water fish that looks similar but has black vertical stripes.

In Louisiana, I've seen 'em as large as 50 pounds.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: what is this? - 07/23/11
Drum....thats it.
Posted By: coyo Re: what is this? - 07/23/11
a drum would be my answere and isnt that amazing as I had a walleye fisherman here in kansas told me that where ever you catch drum the walleye will be there also.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: what is this? - 07/23/11
Oh it is a good walleye river, no doubt about it.

Posted By: tedthorn Re: what is this? - 07/25/11
I see you your drum and raise you one small grinnle

[Linked Image]

Bowfin

[Linked Image]

Reelfoot Lake....mouth of Donaldson Ditch
Posted By: northern_dave Re: what is this? - 07/25/11
Damn those bowfins are ugly!

Posted By: 5sdad Re: what is this? - 07/25/11
We always used the term sheephead, so that is, of course, correct. One time when I was 9 or 10, I got to go with Dad to a FELCO gathering at one of the resorts on West Lake. During the day, there were meetings for the men and the families (Mom had to stay home to go to summer school) ran free. One kid was fishing with a handline for bluegills down through the slats of the boat ramps. The bluegills would come right up between the slats. The big, old sheephead that came out of the depths to bite didn't fit. Can't remember how it got resolved. Another kid pulled off an impressive feat when a bullhead came up to hover with his mouth just breaking the surface. From a distance of about ten feet, the kid stunned it with a well-pitched rock.
Posted By: cal74 Re: what is this? - 07/25/11
Doesn't look like what I was told was a sheephead (many years ago)? Used to catch them from time to time in the Minnesota River. Friend who told me about them cut one open and showed me the bones in their head(s)???
Posted By: tedthorn Re: what is this? - 07/25/11
I called my old buddy from just south of Green Bay and he said....

Sheepshead is a Drum....simple, it's a regional (up north) nick-name
Posted By: LouisB Re: what is this? - 07/26/11
Common names for mammals, fish, plants can get interesting as you will see for the common names listed for this fish.

The look for the Bowfin on the net as shown by tedhorn.

Try this for a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_drum
Posted By: MWR7SM Re: what is this? - 07/26/11
we call them sheephead in lake erie catch them all the time when trolling for walleye.
Posted By: tzone Re: what is this? - 07/28/11
Originally Posted by northern_dave
guess I'm calling it a drum.

Yep...Sheepshead if you live in WI.
Posted By: BareBack_Jack Re: what is this? - 08/01/11
don't forget the Ivory in their head.
Posted By: dadof4 Re: what is this? - 08/02/11
Fresh water drum, in W. Texas they call them Gaspergoo, ?? Drum seems simple enough. Caught one this week on a slab fishing for White bass.
Posted By: Mesa Re: what is this? - 08/03/11
Don't know about the freshwater variety, but salt water drums are prime eating.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: what is this? - 08/04/11
gaspergoo
Posted By: northern_dave Re: what is this? - 08/04/11
henway
Posted By: ingwe Re: what is this? - 08/04/11
about 3 pounds... grin
Posted By: 5sdad Re: what is this? - 08/04/11
penfore
writing...
And then there is the sad case of the missing mattabaybee.
nothing.....

How am I doin'...? grin
Great! smile

Are you sure that you weren't in one of my classes somewhere along the line?
No...but I teach too....... wink
Posted By: rattler Re: what is this? - 08/06/11
thought your dogs were the teachers?
Posted By: ingwe Re: what is this? - 08/06/11
They taught me everything I know.... grin
Posted By: 5sdad Re: what is this? - 08/06/11
hoarse A
Posted By: ingwe Re: what is this? - 08/06/11
"Why didn't you pay me?" or words to that effect.....
Posted By: milespatton Re: what is this? - 08/06/11

I used to catch a few back when I crappie fished. I usually threw them back but one day I caught one about the size of the one in the picture and put him on the stringer with the crappie and when cleaning fileted him right along with the rest. My fishing buddy was over when we ate the fish that had the drum in and I gave him one of the filets. He was adamant that we would throw no more of them back. miles
Posted By: 5sdad Re: what is this? - 08/06/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
"Why didn't you pay me?" or words to that effect.....

You're good. smile
Posted By: tedthorn Re: what is this? - 08/06/11
Originally Posted by milespatton
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I used to catch a few back when I crappie fished. I usually threw them back but one day I caught one about the size of the one in the picture and put him on the stringer with the crappie and when cleaning fileted him right along with the rest. My fishing buddy was over when we ate the fish that had the drum in and I gave him one of the filets. He was adamant that we would throw no more of them back. miles

He must have been bad hungry.....was beer involved?
Posted By: milespatton Re: what is this? - 08/07/11
No beer, just fileted and fried. I ate the other filet and it was good. Not as good as crappie, but good. Better than grinnel. Reminded me of bream. miles
Posted By: Whelenman Re: what is this? - 08/07/11
Originally Posted by digger44
It's a freshwater drum.. sheep's head is a salt water fish that looks similar but has black vertical stripes.

In Louisiana, I've seen 'em as large as 50 pounds.

In Meeeeechigan it is a sheepshead!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: what is this? - 08/07/11
The "ivory" is the ear bone, otolith is the proper term for them. They sit a little aft of the brain, and the brain stem comes up between them. Using a butcher knife with some heft to it you chop down and back at a little less than 45 degrees. If the blade is heavy enough you can likely cut deep enough with a single whack.

A tweezer will help you find one down in the liquid in the cavities on each side uncovered by the cut. If there are no cavities showing you need to cut a little deeper until they do show.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: what is this? - 08/08/11
Originally Posted by milespatton
Better than grinnel. miles

Thats easy to say.....they are the worst.
Posted By: DrHJH Re: what is this? - 08/10/11
There's nothing more spoiled nor opinionated than fishermen, except maybe hunters. We've got a lot of drum in Grayrocks Reservoir here in Wyoming. They fight a hell of a lot better than walleye(try a 5 pounder), bite when walleye won't, love lead-headed jigs with half a crawler, and taste just as good as redfish, bass, northerns, and most trout. If you can fillet a crappie, you can fillet a drum.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: what is this? - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by DrHJH
There's nothing more spoiled nor opinionated than fishermen, except maybe hunters. We've got a lot of drum in Grayrocks Reservoir here in Wyoming. They fight a hell of a lot better than walleye(try a 5 pounder), bite when walleye won't, love lead-headed jigs with half a crawler, and taste just as good as redfish, bass, northerns, and most trout. If you can fillet a crappie, you can fillet a drum.

You mean their rib bones are like steel girders? smile
Posted By: northern_dave Re: what is this? - 08/10/11
That'd be a large yellow perch.

click, click, click, click..
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: what is this? - 08/12/11
It's a couple underexposed photographs...

Of fish.

Do I win? grin
Posted By: kciH Re: what is this? - 09/19/11
I've not eaten a lot of them, but they eat just fine.
Posted By: tack Re: what is this? - 09/21/11
Fresh water Drum. Cut the reddish brown meat out from the white and they are fair to eat.
Posted By: cat Re: what is this? - 09/28/11
Never seen this before, but it is beautiful.
Posted By: slg888 Re: what is this? - 09/28/11
I've caught some big Drum over the yrs....yap it's a Drum.
Posted By: SSB Re: what is this? - 09/29/11
Sheepshead where I come from. We catch them all the time while walleye trolling. Biggest one I ever encountered was just over 16 lbs. An attempt was made to get the lucky stones out of that one. After a knife and then a hatchett failed...a call went out for a chainsaw.........If I remember right Boatboy on here may have been a witness to that. As we say in Quanicassee....it wasn't pretty........
Posted By: eyeball Re: what is this? - 10/14/11
Originally Posted by cal74
Doesn't look like what I was told was a sheephead (many years ago)? Used to catch them from time to time in the Minnesota River. Friend who told me about them cut one open and showed me the bones in their head(s)???
sheepshead are saltwater with black vertical stripes, and I'm not askin
© 24hourcampfire