Home
Posted By: Ella Little fish fishing - 06/16/16
Snaggy-ass water, but the bluegill were in full color.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Little fish fishing - 06/16/16
I love brim fishing!
Bait?
Posted By: Ella Re: Little fish fishing - 06/16/16
I was throwing a yellow and black beetlespin.
Posted By: Ella Re: Little fish fishing - 06/16/16
Just fried up the couple I brought back and made a sandwich. Meant to take a pic but forgot. Brim (sic) smile fishing makes me feel like a kid.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Little fish fishing - 06/16/16
Those 10" 'gills make a great meal!
Originally Posted by Ella
Just fried up the couple I brought back and made a sandwich. Meant to take a pic but forgot. Brim (sic) smile fishing makes me feel like a kid.

I've been catching a few with a chartruse(sp) 1/32 oz. Roadrunner.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Little fish fishing - 06/18/16
Great - but that's not a bluegill. It's a Longear Sunfish. Congrats, because that's a monster for that species!

Description LINK
Posted By: Ella Re: Little fish fishing - 06/18/16
MOGC, and so do the 8-inchers!

Webster, I like the Roadrunner for ponds but usually toss a beetlespin in any river I don’t know as they’re a little more snag-resistant. Still got hung up 4 out of 5 casts it seemed like. Lost two lures and found two.

Rocky, I’ll defer to your ID. I don’t discriminate between the interbreeding lil tasties. People call these “Redbreasts”: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbreast_sunfish.

Bream, perch, sunfish, bluegill, panfish—I like the chunky ones.
I call'em all bream. Whether Bluegill, Red Ear, Green sunfish...

Back in the '60 AWF introduced a sunfish in Lake Erling that was brown in color. We just called'em government bream.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Little fish fishing - 06/20/16
Bream is the universal Southern moniker for almost any kind of sunfish, I agree. I have no argument, as there are so many species of sunfish, not to mention hybrids, that positive ID can be next to impossible. It can literally come down to counting soft versus hard rays in the dorsal, if you get serious. That one is pretty clearly a longear, though.

Here in the West, we just call most of them sunfish.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Little fish fishing - 06/23/16
I'd never heard of bream until I spent a week in South Carolina. I don't know if they all run that size down there, or we were just fishing a pond with unusually big fish, but we caught lots of them that looked like small dinner plates and probably weighed over a pound each.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Little fish fishing - 06/24/16
I think its a blugillXredbreast. Its absolutly a redbreast cross, the red breast is a give away but the pale blue on the sides is also a give away. Longears have a lot of bright blue spots and that isnt on your fish. A redbreast has a longer ear flap so im thinking it is a bluegill/redbreast cross cause the lack of blue spots and the color of the back is bluegill colored, also the end of the tail is lighter, tjat is a common redbreast trait. Just my opinion but we have all of the sunfish species except the flier where I fish and I almost fish for them exclusively.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Little fish fishing - 06/26/16
Also, it has a bluegill eye. Redbreasts have red eyes.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Little fish fishing - 06/26/16
We call all of them bluegills, even when we have no idea what they are.
Posted By: powdr Re: Little fish fishing - 06/26/16
Best striper bait that ever swam. These orange bream swam like crazy w/a 7/0 hook thru the lips. Almost a guarnteed bite every time. My brother and I called 'em punkin seed because of the orange color. We knew they were long ears but still called 'em punkin seeds. powdr
© 24hourcampfire