Home
My son is always wanting to go fishing now but isn't big on the canoe so I decided to pick up a small bass boat for us to use and ended up with a Pelican Bass Raider from Dick's Sporting Goods. It's only 10' 2" long, narrow enough to fit in my F-150 with the tailgate down, and light enough we could put in solo if necessary. I need to pick up a nice trolling motor a good battery or two so any input there on brands/specs would be appreciated. Also, if you have any tips/mods for these types of boats, those would be appreciated as well......thanks!
You don't need to go to big for this. A simple Minn Kota should work just fine. If money's a budget hit Craig's List. I bought an older Motor Guide a few years back for my 14' Lund that worked great, and is still going strong.
Fished on one a couple of times with my uncle. As gophergunner said, doesn't take much.. I think we were using a small Minn Kota and a 5 year old marine battery and it scooted us around the lake just perfectly for hours. And we're not small guys. grin

Suggestions... life jackets mandatory, obviously. They are more stable than you would think, but they aren't that big. Doesn't take much of an anchor to keep you in place, at least it didn't with us. Keep one or two oars inside for pushing off rocks/mud, and just in case you forget to charge the battery. Being stuck in the middle of a small lake on those without power would be very depressing. Other than that was pretty straightforward.
© 24hourcampfire