Home
Posted By: IA_fog Canada fishing gear question - 07/25/17
Ok guys I am going on my first fly in in a couple weeks
I've been advised to get a better rain gear than my frog toggs but wow that stuff is high
Any good suggestions for affordable gear?
Thanks going north of thunder bay
I'm directly west of Thunder Bay (4 hours). I don't have anything grossly expensive. Cheap Viking bib & brace & a decent rain jacket.

Don't know what frog toggs are, but betting if they normally keep you dry, that they'll be enough.

I think Dakota make a decent set & wet skinz are better, but $$$$.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My take - I wouldn't worry too much about it. The beginning of August is usually a drier period of the year here in NW Ontario. If I were you I'd just bring what you have and perhaps add one of those cheap plastic rain ponchos you can buy at any sporting goods store. If it looks like you're going to get into a real cloud burst, put the plastic rain poncho on over your frogg toggs. It'll feel a bit damp inside the poncho, but I've never had one leak and the rain usually passes quickly this time of year.

Look for the walleyes (if that's what you're going after) in shallower than usual. June was unseasonably cool and wet up here and the water temps have yet to warm up to where they should be. A lot of walleyes around my place are still holding in spring post spawn areas.

Hope you do well and have a great time!
Yep, good advice, I'm still catching them in 8-12', with the occasional one at 16 or 18.

Normally, at this time of July, I'd be concentrating around 16 - 24' !
Fog, these men know their stuff, have a safe trip, wear a PFD on the water, every time, all the time. Good fishin' to you!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Canada fishing gear question - 07/25/17
Fog - listen to Richard.
John, I am waiting for a real Canuck to warn Fog about all those hockey pucks flying about ! laugh Of course, if he has been in Canada before, he will know that's just an old gag.
Ha ha,
Where N Iowa are you located
Foggy,

How'd you go ?
© 24hourcampfire