Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Book on Fishing. - 07/29/17
Ever find the fish have never read the book? They may, or may not bite where, or when the book says?
They certainly don't read the local newspaper to know what time their supposed to bite.
Posted By: walt501 Re: The Book on Fishing. - 07/29/17
I'm about to divulge all my knowledge on fishing walleye on Canadian Shield lakes - food shelf, food shelf, food shelf, a food shelf being a large generally flat underwater area with deep water nearby. Both components need to be present, so you need 40-50 foot water over one shoulders and 12 to 15 feet of water over your other shoulder. This allows the walleyes to easily slide down into deeper water during mid-day and slide back up onto the shallower food shelf in the late afternoon to "get the groceries". The larger the food shelf, the more walleyes it will hold.

The greatest advice I ever read on fish and wild game is that they have to be lazy. For walleyes, with the short summers of the north they can't be swimming all over the lake in search of a meal as that would burn too many calories. They need to set up in an area that provides the most nourishment for the least amount of effort. Find a large food shelf adjacent to deep water and you've found the grocery store. Also, unlike past years I'm not finding walleyes all that active in low light periods. Perhaps it has something to do with the very cool temps in June, but for me the best bite is between 3:00pm and 6:00pm.

Finally, anchor the boat and use a slip bobber and a veeery small hook and a leech or part of a crawler. If the hook is about the size of your little finger nail, that's about right. Metallic Green and Pink Gamakatsu hooks have been working best for me.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: The Book on Fishing. - 08/07/17
Fish bite when ready.
© 24hourcampfire