Home
Hi, Guys!

I need help with buying the best line for a spinning reel? Freshwater-light line. It seems most I have tried wants to curl up too much, esp. when retrieving it. I've been fishing a LONG time...

I use good Daiwa light reels. Any help would be appreciated as far as brands, etc. Thank you!

Brittman
Nanofil. Casts 1.8 kilometers. Actual break strength is about half again above the rating, but is about half the thickness of the same weight mono. I use 10# on my light to medium rods and 6# on my ultralight and my dedicated crappie rod. Tie on a section of fluorocarbon for leader and you're set. Nanofil looks like dental floss: limp, thin, slippery, and strong as heck.
ft mono I used to use Trilene XL, in the red package. It was limp and didn't have as much memory as other lines.
But the last few years I've used braid wit ha short mono leader.
Originally Posted by Brittman
Hi, Guys!

I need help with buying the best line for a spinning reel? Freshwater-light line. It seems most I have tried wants to curl up too much, esp. when retrieving it. I've been fishing a LONG time...

I use good Daiwa light reels. Any help would be appreciated as far as brands, etc. Thank you!

Brittman

What part of Ill eye noise you from?
I'm from the Chicago burbs transplanted to green hell, AKA Florida
Used Trilene XL for 30 years & for your type of fishing & have found no reason to change.

I switched to Sufix 832 this spring and love it. Using 10lb test on my walleye rods and crappie jig rods. Takes a knot very well and if you get snagged and can't straighten the hook or pull free you have to be careful to break it wrapping it around your bare hand. Have had no problem with wind knots either, a big plus casting jigs for walleye after dark.
I am a commercial pan fishermen and have found trilene sensation in solar (kind of a chartreuse color) works well for me. I use 4 pound on bluegill rods and 6 pound on perch and deep water sunfish and 8 pound on white perch. I use the same line on my winter ice rods too. The color is very visible for my old eyes and it doesn't bother the fish. Knot strength is good and it has fairly low memory.
Thank you, guys!

I appreciate you all taking your time to help me out! Due to your recommendations, I'm heading to my local bait shop and BPS this weekend. I WILL bring home some new line - better now than before.

GET THE NET...!
Brittman
Remember the line is only as good as the knot. I always start out each day with a fresh knot. Improved clinch knot works well for lite lines. Other good knots are the Trilene and Palomar knots which have a double loop on the hook eye.
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

I switched to Sufix 832 this spring and love it.

I just set a new ML spinning rig with 832.
Impressive so far, it could be my new 'go to" line.
Knots:
For all super braids, I use the palomar double loop, or Nanofil knot.
For just about everything else, the Trilene knot.
XL and 832 are good options, been using P-Line CX a lot for many years, not disappointed. Use 6 and 8# mostly. Caught alot of Crappie and other fish, including a 5.5# bass on the 6# on an UL rod/reel. Recently experimenting with light braid, ie. 10-15#......want to use a leader with P-Line - it disappears in the water.

Use the single X "CX" if you try it,

the Double X - "CXX" is stiff and not really for Spinning.

Good fishing!
Fireline for me. Super abrasion resistant.

I use 8# or 14# stuff is small diameter and sensitive as can be.
Mono I use trilene
Braided I use power pro
Posted By: efw Re: Best line for a spinning reel? - 08/31/18
I’ve always loved blue label Trilene but tried some fireline a few years ago and it’s fabtastic!
I am going to put some Nanofil on one reel and give it a go. I think it is a lot like Fireline but I am not sure of the differences.
Mono? If so, P-Line floro...
I may be the only guy that says this but... I use Berkley Fireline on almost everything I have except my slip bobber rods.

Spinning rods for walleye/northern I used Fireline Crystal, Black, or Chartreuse. I like the 14/6 pound test. I put piece of electrical tape on the spool so the line doesn't slip. on the end of the line I tie on a swivel and then about a 3-4' piece of mono, typically Berkley Triline XT or XL 6 or 8 pound test. 8 pound if I'm jig fishing and there is a chance of catching a pike.

The mono leader is used so I can break off a jig if it's hung up in wood or rocks, tie back on quick and get the line back in. You simply won't break the fireline if your snagged.

The only reason mono is used on my slip bobber rigs is because the fire line is too slippery and the bobber stop won't stay in place.
PowerPro simply has no fhuqking equal,nor is anything else even close.

Only have caught 200+++ in the last coupla days,mainly because Hunting was the focus and Feeshin' on the back burner.

[Linked Image]

Pard broke a NIB rod I loaned him yesterday,on the second cast. It's easy to get the fever.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Every Mono mentioned,sucks heavy ass...but I'm not much into fhuqking around and tote GOOD Riggin' expressly and tend to use it a "smidge".

Hint.
Regular ol' Pline on my spinners and I usually keep trilene on my two boys. They are heck on line and it has seemed to hold up well to their limbhanging, etc. Make sure you load your line correctly and it will cut down on the issues...along with matching the correct line to reel to rod, etc,etc.

I did recently pick up some yo-zuri to give it a try.

I don't understand why some folks can't discuss line without dropping the F bomb. Classy.
Originally Posted by tzone
I may be the only guy that says this but... I use Berkley Fireline on almost everything I have except my slip bobber rods.

Spinning rods for walleye/northern I used Fireline Crystal, Black, or Chartreuse. I like the 14/6 pound test. I put piece of electrical tape on the spool so the line doesn't slip. on the end of the line I tie on a swivel and then about a 3-4' piece of mono, typically Berkley Triline XT or XL 6 or 8 pound test. 8 pound if I'm jig fishing and there is a chance of catching a pike.

The mono leader is used so I can break off a jig if it's hung up in wood or rocks, tie back on quick and get the line back in. You simply won't break the fireline if your snagged.

The only reason mono is used on my slip bobber rigs is because the fire line is too slippery and the bobber stop won't stay in place.

This is about EXACTLY how I do it too and once you get used to setting the hook while jigging or trolling with Fireline, it's really hard to go back to mono. Too much stretch for me.
tzone,

How do you attach the mono line to your Fireline? I understand putting a mono leader to a swivel which goes to your lure, bait, etc. Is there a 'special knot' you use to join them both? You stated you use 3' -4' of leader, correct?

I finally put on a spool of 832 on and love it! BUT, although you can really FEEL the fish, it WILL NOT break off if I need it to now. I do see the need for a mono leader to break. (I do like that it doesn't coil up coming off of my spinning reels.)

Thank you for your answer to my knot question - I appreciate it!

Good fishing!
Brittman
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Fireline for me. Super abrasion resistant.

I use 8# or 14# stuff is small diameter and sensitive as can be.

THIS
Britt, I use either a uni-uni or the Red Phillips knot to attach a leader to braid or fused lines. Both are simple to tie, unlike complicated knots that are impossible to tie while pitching around in a boat. Use more turns on the braid side of the uni, compared to the leader's turns. I like to use four or five mono and seven braid turns because the braid is "slickerier" and needs more turns to keep from pulling through under heavy load.

I also use more than a rod length of leader. Typically, 10 feet on a 7-foot rod. That gives me a couple turns of leader on the reel with the lure ready to cast, but more importantly gives me a lot of lure changes before I have to replace the leader. I do check often for leader abrasion, though, and cut back or replace it if there are any nicks.
Rocky,

Thanks for the tip! It's just the answer I need. I will tie a 10' piece of mono on tomorrow using a uni-uni knot.

I appreciate it!

Good fishing,
Brittman
Nanofil, fireline for super line. Leland SOS line is a flexible mono. Yozuri hybrid soft is good on spinning tackle, strong line and if you use 6# test drop down to 4# hybrid.
© 24hourcampfire