Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Skidoo is running. - 02/10/19
We are getting ready for an ice fishing trip in March to Wabigoon, Ontario, I understand there is lot's of snow all over.
Snow is deep. I plowed our cabin access road (about a mile of forest trail) yesterday, first time I've opened the trail this winter. I have a 3/4 ton and a V plow, it was tough going. I think there is close to 30" of standing snow in the forest areas. It should be an interesting trip for you!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Skidoo is running. - 02/11/19
Thanks Sir David, If it is bad enough, I understand we can trailer to the reserve at Dinorwic lake, pay five bucks, and use the ice road.

How thick is the ice in Lake of the Woods?
Pretty sure it's 3 ft in many places now. I had 30" last time I drilled which has been 2 weeks ago now and we've had some stupid cold weather since then.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: The Skidoo is running. - 02/11/19
Richard, I've got my 8" extension on !
Paul, I can do that as well. Will we need to scoop down to ice to use the lags screws to hold the shelter?
That's tough, I'd test that idea before doing it. When the snow gets deep on the lake, the weight of the snow pushes so hard on the ice. Flooding often occurs. If you shovel down, drill the holes and set the shelters, you may end up fishing in several inches of water. Shelter flaps laying in slush, they freeze down, then you are trying to get your shelter free with a chipper, trying hard to not rip the flaps.
Thanks David, I talked to a Wabigoon friend a bit ago, he talked about 3 feet of snow, and slush on the lake. It ain't sounding so good.
It sure makes it tough.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Skidoo is running. - 02/12/19
Yes Sir David, for me the idea is to have some fun. If it takes too much work, the fun goes out of it.

I just said that on the 'fire, I know that labels me as a woos, at the age of 75, I guess I don't care. blush
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: The Skidoo is running. - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Paul, I can do that as well. Will we need to scoop down to ice to use the lags screws to hold the shelter?

As Dave & your friend said, that'll be tough.

Probably better to shovel snow onto the flaps to hold her down.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: The Skidoo is running. - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Yes Sir David, for me the idea is to have some fun. If it takes too much work, the fun goes out of it.

I just said that on the 'fire, I know that labels me as a woos, at the age of 75, I guess I don't care. blush

Heck Richard, that takes the fun out of it for a young man too! We were just too dumb to really realize it.

If "woos" means "wise" than I would say your a "woos" lol
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Skidoo is running. - 02/26/19
The report I got last night is, the fish stopped biting, and there is two feet of snow over a foot of slush on the lakes.
© 24hourcampfire