Home
Posted By: woodson Go to bass lure? - 04/24/19
No reasonable person doesn’t adjust their tactics based on conditions but if you needed to commit to one lure? What would it be and how would it be rigged?

I go full retard far too often using a weightless 5” senko. Full disclosure.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/24/19
Usually a spinner bait. Or a TX rigged plastic worm.
Tough choice for me.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/24/19
If I had to catch a bass or nothing else was working I'll agree with you on the Senko but I'll try topwaters or crank baits first.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/25/19
Creature / crawfish type plastic texas rigged.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/26/19
I catch more bass on 5" Senko's than anything else. Sure wouldn't like giving up the Booyah pad crasher frogs and spinner baits though.
Posted By: powdr Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/26/19
3inch watermelon tube. powdr
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/26/19
A watermelon "Wacky" worm.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/26/19
When I was a kid it was the black licorice worms with the built-in 3 hooks. Cleaned up many a farm pond/lake with those things. Nowadays the main go to is a Zoom 8" lizard in Junebug.
Posted By: jdollar Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/27/19
Wacky rigged 4” Senko in most darker colors.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/27/19

Does anyone still use Slug-Gos?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/27/19
How many of y’all remember the Original Creme brand plastic worms ?

They had a weed less hook and a little propeller type spinner rigged on them. Caught a lot of fish with them as a kid.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/27/19
Shaky head rigged worm...
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/27/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

They had a weed less hook and a little propeller type spinner rigged on them. Caught a lot of fish with them as a kid.

I remember the Cream worm you describe very well. My high school fishing buddy of mine were fishing ponds at his local country club and I asked him to borrow the Cream worm still in the package in his tackle box which I did. I caught so many fish on that purple cream worm he asked for the worm back in short order.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/27/19

I remember the Creme worms (not the rigged ones) as being very stiff.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/27/19
Right after spawn, floating rapala twitched. If that doesnt work, a leech on a plain hook or jig head
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/28/19
Jerk bait. I catch 85% of my bass on the silver #6 Rapala X-rap. I fish a Western impoundment in Az with lots of shad. This lure will get reaction strikes when other lures won't work. 6 lb fireline with a lightweight 6' rod and the Pflueger arbor reel make for a setup that minimizes fatigue.

The silver #3 countdown reeled in slowly with no action, with either 4 lb or 6 lb fireline, is another lure that catches them when other lures fail.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/28/19
6" Purple plastic worm, Texas rigged.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/28/19
I've never fished a plastic worm, but reading here it sure looks like the go to choice. A buddy caught one of the nicer bass that I'd seen come out of our lake up north using a plastic worm. We have something like 100 water retention ponds in our Florida community that only a few guys fish and I've seen pictures of ten pounders coming out of those. I've only used an orange floating #9 Rapala and it is like taking a census of the bass in there. Got two on the same cast on the front and back hook of that Rapala last time out.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/28/19
I was telling a guy at work last week that I could do all my bass fishing with green lizards, purple worms, baby bass senkos and a top water of some kind, probably a spook or something like that.

If I had to pick just one I would probably go with the green lizard, 1/4oz bullet weight, and a 4/0 worm hook Texas rig.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Go to bass lure? - 04/29/19
Senko... You can rig it so many ways. A 5" Senko can be rigged weightless, nailed or Carolina rigged and go from the surface to the bottom year round. Tough to best that kind of versatility in one single bait.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/05/19
Spinnerbait hands down
Posted By: Texczech Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/05/19
Silver and black or silver and blue torpedo.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/05/19
Originally Posted by Texczech

I’ve caught a ton of bass on the silver and blue version.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/05/19

Are you talkin Heddon Tiny Torpedo ?
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Yep
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/05/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Love sluggos.

I llike the OP. Son #2 go to is a Yum Swim n Dinger in that blue flake color. He does well.

My goto is a soft paddle tail (the cheap onesZoom? Yum?) either weightless or with 1/8 oz tx rig.

Go to used to be a rapala floating f7 in gold/black.

Then a swiss swing.

As a kid it was a purple or black rubber worm and a split shot.

... and a rebel crayfish...

and...

and...

:-)

Yep

I use the tiny most, but also the larger one.
When the sand bass are running at Wright
Patman spillway we can catch over 100 a
day on the clear model and the blue and silver.
Both sizes work equally well.

Yep

I use the tiny most, but also the larger one.
When the sand bass are running at Wright
Patman spillway we can catch over 100 a
day on the clear model and the blue and silver.
Both sizes work equally well.

Yep. The sand bass or whites and the Stripers like em too.
My favorite all time top water bait.
Ain't nothing like seeing a topwater explosion.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/06/19
Ain't nothing like seeing a topwater explosion.
Agreed. I love fishing top water bass. Have used Tiny Torpedo's, Jitterbugs, buzz baits, rubber frogs. Lately I like skipping the Booyah pad crasher frogs amongst and over the lilly pads but it's all good.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/09/19
Looks like I need to add a few to the quiver. Thanks, Gents.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/12/19
I like chatterbaits. Weedless and go anywhere.

Terminator made an in-line spinner. Was for redfishing. Works great for bass also.

Snagless sally.

Zoom lizard.
Spinner bait. Silver willow leaf, chartreuse skirt. It's always tied on one rod.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/16/19
If I could only have one it's gonna be a original Zoom trick worm, or a 6" sinko style bait. No way in hell I'm doing that though.
Posted By: Judman Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/16/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Those used to be the shiit!! Do they still make em?

I've always used floating rapala and spinnerbaits depending on the time of year. Rapala favorite sports are bronze or silver with black back, spinnerbait I like white...
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/17/19
I'm not really a bass fisherman, but my go-to is a 3 inch hula popper, black. Heave that sucker out with a spinning rod 'n' reel, take up the slack, then twitch the tip .. chug .. chug .. chug .. ka-boooooom. It's about the only thing I can catch 'em on. (Also caught a couple on popper flies with a fly rod.)

Tom
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/25/19
Weightless Texas rigged 6" Culprit worm in grape shad.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/26/19
Jointed Rapala or a chartreuse spinner followed by a Zara Spook. Oh heck a plastic worm or jig and pig is in there somewhere too.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/28/19
Rooster tail
Posted By: Shag Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/30/19
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Rooster tail

haha, our catching stupid dinks. It's ok I used too also .. Then i learned how to catch real bass.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/30/19
I took it to mean...most dependable to produce a fish. To catch big ones I use texas rig plastics
Posted By: Judman Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/30/19
I took it to mean...most dependable to produce a fish. To catch big ones I use texas rig plastics

What color rooster tail? Seen my Ol man catch a pig one day off a green rooster tail trolling for trout, little surprised when he got it to the boat
Posted By: Morewood Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/30/19
Another vote for senkos wacky style in purple or green.

Do you guys use the O-ring trick? Learned it from a fishing guide. You slide a rubber o-ring to the middle of the worm with an applicator. You get a lot more fish per senko (which is nice, those senkos get pricey).
Posted By: TheKid Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/30/19
I fish a lot of TX rigged Senkos, been tearing them up lately on baby bass color fished weightless. But they are the most fragile rubber worms I’ve ever seen. I’ve tried about 3 different brands and they all suck in the durability dept.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/31/19
I caught 19 Saturday morning fishing a Texas rigged weightless Senko through grass beds in 7' of water on a big flat just off a channel bend. Only one good one, about 5 pounds.
Posted By: Shag Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/31/19
Originally Posted by Judman

What color rooster tail? Seen my Ol man catch a pig one day off a green rooster tail trolling for trout, little surprised when he got it to the boat

They will catch bass. When I first moved to the Snake It was easy and a convince to catch bass some evening on every cast on a Blue Fox Spinner...... But now I'm bearing down and that Spinner will not on a daily basis catch as big of bass I'm catching now.
Posted By: Judman Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/31/19
What are ya using shag? Mostly smallmouth in the snake ain't it?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/31/19
The color I used is a green and white and orange. Seems to do pretty well but shag is right...mostly 12 inch bass
Posted By: Shag Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/01/19

So far doing best on Crankbaits and tube jigs. I’ve got a lot to learn tho. Yes Smallies
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/02/19
Originally Posted by Shag

So far doing best on Crankbaits and tube jigs. I’ve got a lot to learn tho. Yes Smallies

[Linked Image]

Smallies on the Snake...this is Swan Falls area.
Catch a bunch like it with Shaky head rigs...
Posted By: Shag Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/03/19
Thanks for that info! Appreciate it.
Posted By: tack Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/16/19
If I could have only one lure to catch a bass?
Your Sinko is a great lure but it's only effective in the top tier of the water column.
I would go with the 10" Power worm that I could rig to fish the top, swim it in the middle and especially the bottom in cover; Like brush Piles.

tack
Posted By: MOGC Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/16/19
Originally Posted by tack
If I could have only one lure to catch a bass?
Your Sinko is a great lure but it's only effective in the top tier of the water column.
I would go with the 10" Power worm that I could rig to fish the top, swim it in the middle and especially the bottom in cover; Like brush Piles.

tack

Senko's are great on a Carolina rig or finesse rigged several different ways and fished on the bottom.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/16/19
Bass season opened yesterday here. Went out yesterday afternoon. Caught 5 nice ones and 3 dinks in an hour and a half. All on a wacky rigged 5" watermelon Senko.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/16/19
How does “bass season” work? Can’t catch them any other time? Can’t keep them any other time but can C&R?

Honestly curious. We don’t have fishing “season” here, just go whenever you want same limit all the time.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/16/19
Originally Posted by TheKid
How does “bass season” work? Can’t catch them any other time? Can’t keep them any other time but can C&R?

Honestly curious. We don’t have fishing “season” here, just go whenever you want same limit all the time.
If they're not in season it's catch and release only. Went a couple times in the last two weeks and caught some nice ones but it pains me to have to put a good one back so don't fish much till open season.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/17/19
How big is a good one where you’re at? Smallies or bucketmouths?
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/17/19
How big is a good one where you’re at? Smallies or bucketmouths?
Nice ones are 15 - 20" either smallmouth or largemouth. Good eatin size.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/17/19

Yep. Must suck to live where there is a season on freshwater fish.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/17/19

Yep. Must suck to live where there is a season on freshwater fish.
There are fish with no season on them that can be taken all year inluding all varieties of sunfish, yellow perch, black and white crappie, rock bass, pickerel, bullheads, suckers and carp. More popular game fish are generally protected during the spawn but there is something to fish for all year round if you are so inclined. I generally only fish spring and summer anyway and hunt sept. - March. To me it would suck a bunch to live in a state where you have to own land or pay for a lease to hunt. Or where it's 90+ degrees in the shade for weeks or months on end.
Posted By: tack Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/19/19
You are absolutely right, Sinko's however don't come through hardwood brush as well as Texas rigged worms..
Works for me as I have about 100 of them on Lake of the Ozarks, Mo.
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/30/19
I’d go with the 6” senko natural or dark colors
I don’t fish them wacky style prefer weedless style
Just caught a 18” small mouth bass and a few smaller ones this afternoon out on the kayak.
Posted By: woodson Re: Go to bass lure? - 07/02/19
Anyone have success with these highly hyped Whopper Ploppers? Just had a shipment of 3 of their 75 size arrive from tackle warehouse.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Go to bass lure? - 07/03/19
Been fishing the 110 Plopper for years. It's a killer! The Bone color has consistently been the best color for me.
Posted By: TradHunter89 Re: Go to bass lure? - 09/01/19
The small farm ponds I fish I always catch something on rooster tail
Posted By: jeeper Re: Go to bass lure? - 09/01/19

Another favorite for me is shiners under a cork . Fun way to catch bass.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Go to bass lure? - 09/02/19
Ned Rig has amazed me and caught more fish than any other plastic I have used .
Posted By: FC363 Re: Go to bass lure? - 01/02/20
1/8ths oz Black jig head w/yellow eye and a Black 4" curly tail worm.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Go to bass lure? - 01/02/20
For smallmouth: KVD Dreamshot, drop shot rig.

For Largemouth: Yamamoto 5 inch grub, texas rigged with 1/8 oz weight.

If I could only have one lure for both: Rapala Original Floating #11, black/silver.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Go to bass lure? - 01/04/20
Rick N Tenn's not wrong about the Ned Rig. We used it for the first time this past summer when it got hot and caught a lot of fish when not much else was working.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Go to bass lure? - 01/06/20
The 5" bubble-gum Senko is my go-to bass lure......works great and doesn't get hung-up in the moss.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Go to bass lure? - 01/11/20
I started throwing a chatterbait this year. They are skipable on bait casting gear and they catch bigger than average fish much of the time. It has become my go to when the water is cool. Mid summer they don't seem to like them as much.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Go to bass lure? - 01/11/20
ball and chain for me, carolina rigged craw
Posted By: Bclark Re: Go to bass lure? - 01/11/20
White or chartreuse tandem Spinnerbait. Can fish it shallow or deep.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/15/20
Lazy Ike. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: lastround Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/21/20
Exactly what is a Texas rigged worm? I fish with plastic worms on worm hooks rigged weedless (the barb turned back into the worm body) . Is that Texas rigged? Until I found this forum, I never heard of a Texas Rig. Would somebody explain it to me please?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by lastround
Exactly what is a Texas rigged worm? I fish with plastic worms on worm hooks rigged weedless (the barb turned back into the worm body) . Is that Texas rigged? Until I found this forum, I never heard of a Texas Rig. Would somebody explain it to me please?

What you describe is called a TX rig when a sliding bullet weight is fished on the front of the worm.
Posted By: lastround Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/21/20
Kid, that is exactly how I fish with a plastic worm, bullet weight and all. I guess a Texas Rig is what I’ve been using all along. Thanks.
Posted By: fester Re: Go to bass lure? - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by woodson
No reasonable person doesn’t adjust their tactics based on conditions but if you needed to commit to one lure? What would it be and how would it be rigged?

I go full retard far too often using a weightless 5” senko. Full disclosure.

Depending on how the river is flowing, 3ounce weight, slido, hook of your choice.
Chovies, sardines or pile worms as bait.

Striper love em
Posted By: 3spop Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/06/20
Zoom baby brush hog
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/06/20
Can't argue that too much. I'll still take Senkos overall but we caught a good dozen plus yesterday including an 18 & a 20 incher with brown & watermelon Baby Brush Hogs. Caught a couple on Senkos but it really picked up with the Baby Brush Hogs.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/07/20
Cuban tree frogs work great. top water is a lot of fun
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/11/20
Mud puppy on a cirle hook, weighted to stay a foot off the bottom!
Posted By: Esquire Re: Go to bass lure? - 06/28/20
The lakes I fish regularly are loaded with Largemouth, Smallmouth & Rock Bass and we crush them on poppers. Mostly early and late in the day, but also during the middle of the day to a lesser degree. I like the Rebel Pop-R the best but the fish bite just as well on the cheap knock-offs I buy in bulk online. My son and I also catch the occasional chain pickerel & black crappie on the poppers. Last year my son caught a huge white perch on a Rapala popper while bass fishing.
Posted By: Esquire Re: Go to bass lure? - 07/05/20
We caught the usual suspects this past holiday week with Rebel Poppers - Largemouth, Smallmouth, Rock Bass and Black Crappie. We also caught White Perch, Yellow perch and Bluegills on bait. My son and I also caught two Bullhead Catfish that had to weigh 5 pounds each - his on an inline spinner and mine on a black jitterbug. Tons of fun on light spinning tackle.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Go to bass lure? - 08/03/20
Have 2 still in the package in my tackle box😀
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Go to bass lure? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by woodson
Anyone have success with these highly hyped Whopper Ploppers? Just had a shipment of 3 of their 75 size arrive from tackle warehouse.

Love em. Just ordered 4 more after losing my last one.

Check out the prop frog as well. The frog legs are whopper plopped type propellers.
© 24hourcampfire