Home
Posted By: mjbgalt Spincast reel preference? - 07/14/19
Looking for a spincast reel I can use for catfishing and for stashing in my trunk for a quick trip to ponds around here without dragging out all my equipment. Also would be good to have for people who are just casual fishermen and don't handle baitcasters or spinning reels well.

I want something reliable and better than a zebco 33 or similar...something that will last and have decent retrieve speed.

What do you guys recommend?
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Looking for a spincast reel I can use for catfishing and for stashing in my trunk for a quick trip to ponds around here without dragging out all my equipment. Also would be good to have for people who are just casual fishermen and don't handle baitcasters or spinning reels well.

I want something reliable and better than a zebco 33 or similar...something that will last and have decent retrieve speed.

What do you guys recommend?
Zebco Bullet.
I haven't seen one in over 40 years and don't know if they're still in business but there used to be a Johnson spincast reel that was supposed to be good qualityl. As I recall they were made in Iowa and were green. Just checked ebay and they've got some
Pflueger President.

Bought my wife one several years ago. Super smooth, I have found myself using it on a couple of occasions, no flies on it at all.

Doubt you would be disappointed.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Pflueger President.

Bought my wife one several years ago. Super smooth, I have found myself using it on a couple of occasions, no flies on it at all.

Doubt you would be disappointed.

^^^This^^^

Best reel out there for the money.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Spincast reel preference? - 07/14/19

The Johnson was a good reel but look at a Zebco 33 Platinum or Zebco 33 Quantum.
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Isn't the Pflueger President a SPINNING reel not a spincast reel?

You are correct. Guess I should’ve read a little closer before posting 😜
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Spincast reel preference? - 07/14/19
Actually there is a Pflueger President spincast - it is an under the rod type. I find those somewhat clumsy to use compared to a spinning reel.

The spinning reels are a great buy for the money.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Isn't the Pflueger President a SPINNING reel not a spincast reel?

You are correct. Guess I should’ve read a little closer before posting 😜

Negative.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflu...ident-spincast-reel/1447418.html#start=2
Actually the one I have is a Cetina. Probably discontinued.

[Linked Image]find shell gas station near me
Posted By: MOGC Re: Spincast reel preference? - 07/15/19
The problem with spincast reels is gear ratio, they are s l o w! My wife refuses to try a baitcast reel and she really doesn't like spinning reels much. So when we go bass fishing she struggles to keep a bait caught up to the boat. She sits in the back, I stand on the front deck and cast my way down the shoreline and even at a slow pace her Zebco 33 at 3:1 gear ratio just can't keep her bait in the water effectively. That Zebco Bullet has the fastest gear ratio I have seen on a spincast reel at 5:1. That might be the reel for someone in that situation like my wife.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Spincast reel preference? - 07/15/19
A few years ago I bought a box of eight original Zebco 33 spin cast reels off Ebay for around $35 for the lot. Those reels were stripped, cleaned and lubed. From the original eight reels I was able to put together three reels that are in as new condition. I use them as starter gear when younger kids show up at my cabin with their parents. Those reels work as well as the old 33 I used for so many years as a kid over 60 years ago.
© 24hourcampfire