Home
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Quick Question... - 07/18/19

Came across a Sospender inflatable life vest I have had for I don’t know how many years..never used it; never discharged it.

Indicator is still green — good to go, or no? I’d hate to find out pffffft when my waders are full..

Thanks.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Quick Question... - 07/18/19
Can you test and recharge (replace)?
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Quick Question... - 07/18/19
George, Happened to have one of those I haven't used in years. My fear is being in the middle of a lake by myself on a beautiful day, falling out, and watching the boat drift away. Doesn't take much of a breeze.

So, the CO2 cylinder is either punctured or it isn't. The indicator goes from green to red if the puncturing mechanism is in the puncture position. Decided to peel the Velcro apart and visually inspect. Lo and behold some user instructions were hidden in there.

Maintenance
These inflatables require maintenance by owner. SOSPENDERS should be checked for rips, tears or punctures between outings. To check for leaks orally inflate the bladder until firm and leave overnight. If the inflatable is damaged replace it. This model of SOSPENDERS uses a 38 gram CO2 cylinder. Each CO2 may be used only one time to inflate the PFD and then needs to be rearmed with a new rearming kit Refer to the Operating Instructions included in the Owner's Manual for Halky Roberts V86160 inflator specifications.
Refold the SOSPENDERS (see folding instructions) We highly recommend that SOSPENDERS be serviced by SOS, Inc. or any authorized dealer one year from the date of purchase and every year thereafter.

Yeah, right.

The instructions give a rearming kit model number, didn't include that above.

Anyway, clean and looks like new inside and out. No damage or age brittleness to the inflatable bladders. So put back together, back in a bag and to the garage shelf.

Note this is manual inflate only. Wouldn't trust the auto inflate more than a season but don't know, haven't looked into it. But humidity can't be good for the useful life of the actuator.

That is very good info NH; thanks! I admit I hate maintenance for stuff I’m not particularly interested in. But summers no time for a traditional vest either.

I’ll check it out. Between the three inflatable bladders in my float tube and a working vest, I should be ok.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Quick Question... - 07/19/19
Or you could do as a "friend" did and got nervous on a small cataraft and decided "in an abundance of caution" to inflate said device. The rapid inflation was gratifying! The sudden deflation immediately following inflation, not so much. He remained dry, but it was a lesson...

pak brought a young exchange student to Kodiak for a fishing trip to show him a little different part of AK. He was given SOSpenders to wear, which he did on deck as told. He was really intrigued by the little handle "Jerk to Inflate." Pete and I were watching and laughing knowing exactly what was about to happen. There was a modest language barrier.

When the vest took off that young Swiss dude looked like a cat in a sandbox trying to bury the Devil!

"Jerk to Inflate" has a certain ring to it!

They require maintenance.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Quick Question... - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I admit I hate maintenance for stuff I’m not particularly interested in..

Me too, hadn't given it a thought until I read your question.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Quick Question... - 07/19/19
Those CO2 cartridges used on auto inflate preservers have an expiration date, it’s usually 3 years from the day it was made.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Quick Question... - 07/20/19
I looked to replace the cylinder on my manual vest a while back. Turns out it uses one with an odd neck/thread cylinder. They are NOT standard. Still looking.
Posted By: logger Re: Quick Question... - 07/20/19
We have 2 mustang auto inflates. We change out the inflators every 5 years. Before we did it last year, we pulled the manual cord to see how it would feel when it inflates. It was an interesting sensation.
© 24hourcampfire