Home
Posted By: Anaconda The Scouts go fishing - 10/02/19
Every year I take a group of Boy Scouts camping and fishing for trout.
This year, the weather was cold and overcast with some rain and snow.
The fishing was great.
8 boys went out with me, two at a time and boated over 50 trout.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: The Scouts go fishing - 10/02/19
[Linked Image]

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/109222.jpg
This boys first fish
[Linked Image]
Hooked up with another one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Adult camp.
Red Beard is my son, an Eagle Scout and assistant Scout master

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: The Scouts go fishing - 10/02/19
Good on ya, sir!
A noble thing Sir.
Anaconda,

Good for you, if you don't get a fishing rod or a gun in the hands of today's youth when their boy scout age.....they likely never will fish or hunt.

My scout trip is taking 35 cub scouts pond fishing for bluegill and bass this Sunday.
Posted By: 1minute Re: The Scouts go fishing - 10/02/19
Yes! Good for you. Not active much anymore, as leadership has evolved locally. Living in a small isolated town in a 75% public land county, I'm amazed at how many scouts have not experienced numerous events I literally take for granted. Likely the price paid in today's world for living in single parent homes.

Fondest memory for me was a 6-day 95-mile whitewater float trip on which one scout fished his heart out with nary a take. Last evening I got him into about a 34 inch steelhead on a fly rod. Went through my longest prayer ever (20 minutes) that the fish would stay hooked up. It did, and being of hatchery origin we could and did keep it. One of my most vivid fishing memories ever.
Posted By: JohnnyMac007 Re: The Scouts go fishing - 10/04/19
Good work, fine sir! Thank you for introducing the next generation to our beloved sport and being a positive male role model. Each one of them you take out will remember the lesson for the rest of their days even if they don't always remember the specifics of the day.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: The Scouts go fishing - 10/04/19
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes! Good for you. Not active much anymore, as leadership has evolved locally. Living in a small isolated town in a 75% public land county, I'm amazed at how many scouts have not experienced numerous events I literally take for granted. Likely the price paid in today's world for living in single parent homes.

Fondest memory for me was a 6-day 95-mile whitewater float trip on which one scout fished his heart out with nary a take. Last evening I got him into about a 34 inch steelhead on a fly rod. Went through my longest prayer ever (20 minutes) that the fish would stay hooked up. It did, and being of hatchery origin we could and did keep it. One of my most vivid fishing memories ever.

That young man will remember that fish and the entire experience the rest of his life! Nicely done.
Posted By: ribka Re: The Scouts go fishing - 10/19/19
Good job. Those boys will remember that the rest of their lives

Im an Eagle Scout and former assistant scout master. Scouting has been really good for boys from single parent families
Posted By: watch4bear Re: The Scouts go fishing - 10/22/19
Teach a man to fish...
Posted By: JSTUART Re: The Scouts go fishing - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Every year I take a group of Boy Scouts camping and fishing for trout.
This year, the weather was cold and overcast with some rain and snow.
The fishing was great.
8 boys went out with me, two at a time and boated over 50 trout.

Well done fellow, that is how community is built.
© 24hourcampfire