Home
Posted By: pinback01 Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
This is the 3rd year of a full restoration of my 1988 16' Smoker Craft Magnum 162. It will be completed within a week. I'm looking at Type I and III life preservers. The Stearns I600 is a finalist due to the buoyancy of 22 pounds, obviously suitable off shore use. Also considering the Type III Mustang Survival Search and Rescue model. I'm soon to be 66 years young, at 6' 3"and weighing in at 225. I have a 40 year old Stearns but I think it's time to retire it. I'd also consider an inflatable, might not get roasted so bad in hot weather What can you guys recommend?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
I use a Mustang inflatable. The PFD and kill switch are life savers.
Posted By: pinback01 Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
I just posted a couple of photos of the Smoker Craft restoration in the image gallery. Yup the "Kill Switch" lanyard is a life saver.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
That's a very nice looking boat, pinback.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
Most should work well, make Shure you wear it.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
I fish lakes, but an inflatable tends to get worn when a regular one tends to get stowed/not worn. A couple things to note, an inflatable doesn’t ‘count’ per coast guard regs unless it is worn. In other words, make sure you have a foam one on board as well. Someone on the fire said they fish quite a few old guys out of the lake dead with their fly down and no life jacket on. Unzip to take a leak and fall off the boat and can’t get back onboard. I really like the comfort of an inflatable.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
Get the inflatable, you'll hardly notice your wearing it.
Posted By: Maverick_31 Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
I'm about your size and 73 years old. I bought this one off Amazon last year and really like it. The shape of the neck fits me much better than my old one, especially with a hoody on. I wear it anytime I'm on the boat. It has the increased buoyancy I was looking for. Well made and Money well spent. Don't forget it uses a larger CO2 cylinder for recharge, which is also available.

Bluestorm Gear Arcus 40 Automatic/Manual Inflatable PFD Life Jacket for Adults
Sold by: Bluestorm Gear
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
Inflatable, just remember to store it in a dry area.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 04/30/20
Another vote for the auto inflatable. I bought a couple for wife and I. Found them on sale thru West Marine. Awesome and since I fish alone most time I always wear it. My promise to her.
Posted By: ribka Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Another vote for the auto inflatable. I bought a couple for wife and I. Found them on sale thru West Marine. Awesome and since I fish alone most time I always wear it. My promise to her.

Smart

Im a lifelong swimmer but just picked up a mustang and will wear fishing
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 05/29/20
I have both went back to old-style heard stories of some failing to inflate when needed, lanyard to kill switch is a must, plus loop of rope tied to stern that you can step in to get back in the boat. In our cold waters in Alaska if you go overboard even with life jacket you may not make it! Last night running on local river, river rescue were training in full suits. If you fly comercial most will not let you fly with self inflator cartridges.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAwnnJIhNgg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Posted By: boatboy Re: Shopping for a new PFD - 07/21/20
KK not being a ball buster but I just don't see the inflatables not being dependable
I agree in your cold water everything must work and even so survival is tough
That being said I would wear my inflatable if I was on your boat and have no worries

Hank

Cool Instagram post
© 24hourcampfire