Home
Posted By: 260Remguy Marlin 455 FN LR 98 Donor? - 09/26/20
On GB without any bids at the time I typed this.

An odd duck, since it appears that someone had the original 30-06 barrel rebore to 0.323" to make it an 8mm-06.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Marlin 455 FN LR 98 Donor? - 09/26/20
I saw that also, not a bad looking rifle. I have only handled one Marlin 455 and if I remember correctly it was a 243 WIN
Good candidate for a 9.3x62 build...

Okie John
Posted By: iskra Re: Marlin 455 FN LR 98 Donor? - 10/03/20
Seen very few of these over decades. Marlin's attempt to capitalize in respect of rifles more powerful than it's contemporary 336 lever group & before the 444/1895 series era. Many other established FN bolt rifles on the market and proprietary micro rifling lacking 'wow' factor. A late fifties product to recollection. Decade or so later, reinventing their levers in large format indicated, a much better idea of doing it well in their own marketing backyard. The 455 a good rifle falling into "also ran".
Concerning the suggested 8mm06 alteration, REALLY STRANG! Moreover, to my thought, considerably devaluing the rifle! Small audience of a. reloaders, b. imbued with that chambering!
My take
Best & Stay Safe
John
Posted By: z1r Re: Marlin 455 FN LR 98 Donor? - 10/04/20
My take, the bores on those Marlins left a lot to be desired. As much as I love the .30-06, I never much cared for those barrels on the 455. So, yes, re-boring or rebarreling, a plus in my book if you are shooter. If you're a collector, well, you wouldn't be thinking of making alterations in the first place.
© 24hourcampfire