Home
Posted By: captjohn 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
I acquired a 7mm mauser today but having issues loadings the pics, did any of the "commercial" mausers have a flattened (top and bottom) bolt knob?
Posted By: iskra Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
At first to say, not to my knowledge. Then 'light bulb'! Check out the below photo and tell me if any approximate what you're describing. First is a German Oberndorf Mauser "Stutzen" carbine c. 1913. Below a CZ Brno ZG47 Model, c. 1951. Bottom, Steyr Mannlicher Model 1903, 6.5x54, c. 1912These collectively of style is often termed "spoon" or Mannlicher pattern bolt handle.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, as "genuine & original Bubba creation?"

Best & Stay Safe!
John

Attached picture R59-6.jpg
Attached picture R65-5.jpg
Attached picture R188-12U.jpg
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
Also called a "butter knife".
Posted By: patbrennan Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
The brno zg 47 pic above is actually a brno 21/22 (small ring), just a minor point.
Posted By: captjohn Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
https://www.facebook.com/groups/186...7gvu1xg&ref=nf_target&__tn__=C-R

Here is a link to the pics if that is acceptable here, one of the cleanest looking ones I have came across, can't really find much "buuba" going on.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
The Interarms Mark X commercial rifles were available with a butterknife bolt handle in the full stocked, 20" barrel version. I had one in 270, but sold it to a hunting buddy who wanted it for his wife. It was a beautiful rifle and killed one of my biggest Utah muleys. Currently, there's one available on Gunbroker. A beautiful rifle.
Posted By: captjohn Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
I am into to this for the right price, i was kicking tires looking for a donor action and this one was on the rack, been there a while, so things worked and it came home, only thing I have in 7mm so i was just doing some background research before I sent it off for a rebarrel, very light gun gun, stock is well done, period
d correct scope of course LOL It's probably is a helluva of shooter had dies, rounds, the load work paperwork everything with it, but trying to standardize a little bit around here LOL
Posted By: iskra Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
Well, I'm totally confused, 'Cap'n'! smile Your facebook reference offered only a non-member, glimpse of a rifle with "Mauser 03" nomenclature. Am I to assume that's your model in question? If not, more confused. But to say, it 'appears if you'd posted that reference with your initial Post, would have saved me some time & effort in my above pix postings!
Don't know where matters stand, but if your rifle is indeed a Mauser 03 as depicted in the pix, I'll bow out as beyond Mauser Oberndorf classics, my knowledge is 'almost' nonexistent!

Re the ZG 47 designator, Pat, I'm standing "pat"! smile Below are the referenced late forties Models 21 denoting half stock, 22 denoting full stock, & ZB 47. fifties production, differing markedly from the Mods 21 & 22 action. The '47, essentially a double square bridge design with integral dovetail scope mounts! See 'd pix! smile

Best & Stay Safe!
John

Attached picture Brno ZB 47 rifle.jpg
Attached picture CZ ZB 47.jpg
Attached picture Brno Model 22.jpg
Attached picture Brno 22 Action.jpg
Attached picture Brono Mod 21.jpg
Posted By: Brazos Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/25/20
Your link doesn't work, Cap'n.

Sounds like a nice rifle, please post some pictures before you cannibalize it. Could be rare and valuable...
Posted By: z1r Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by iskra
Well, I'm totally confused, 'Cap'n'! smile Your facebook reference offered only a non-member, glimpse of a rifle with "Mauser 03" nomenclature. Am I to assume that's your model in question? If not, more confused. But to say, it 'appears if you'd posted that reference with your initial Post, would have saved me some time & effort in my above pix postings!
Don't know where matters stand, but if your rifle is indeed a Mauser 03 as depicted in the pix, I'll bow out as beyond Mauser Oberndorf classics, my knowledge is 'almost' nonexistent!

Re the ZG 47 designator, Pat, I'm standing "pat"! smile Below are the referenced late forties Models 21 denoting half stock, 22 denoting full stock, & ZB 47. fifties production, differing markedly from the Mods 21 & 22 action. The '47, essentially a double square bridge design with integral dovetail scope mounts! See 'd pix! smile

Best & Stay Safe!
John

Your close up pic of the receiver for the "ZG47" is conspicuously missing. You are aware that, unlike the Model 21, the Zg47 is a Large Ring action? Additionally, also unlike the 21/22 series, every ZG47 I have seen is marked as such on the barrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: patbrennan Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
zg47 also has a dramatically different bolt handle, and safety vs a brno 21/22.
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Yes, but John doesn't let facts get in the way.
Posted By: captjohn Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
https://www.facebook.com/groups/186...14&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic
I think this link will work, i am finding the the action might be Karabiner 98 that had some real good smith work done to it with a trigger and bottom metal.
Posted By: Brazos Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
Both of your links go to a Mauser club on Facebook which requires membership.
Sorry I forgot that was a closed group.
Here is the pics i think i have them downsized enough now.

Attached picture 7mm mauser bolt.gif
Attached picture 7mm mauser.gif
Attached picture 7mm mauser action.gif
Posted By: iskra Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
z1r: I am aware of a large vacuum of information concerning early postwar Brno rifle production, most of it centered on the ZG47. Some of it plainly contradictory and also as perpetuated by original sources simply wrong. I began my research as first having bought a beautiful Brno rifle and attempting to learn about it. This event decades ago in 'Jurassic' smile pre-Internet era. Perhaps worse, there is now a residual hodge-podge of information out there, only time fading toward irrelevant!

Here are the facts as I understand them as supplemented by my rifles. The ZG 47 rifle was designed by Otakar Galas in 1947. Indeed the model designation ZG47, reflected both the year referenced as well as the "G" honoring Galas. Due to external Soviet productivity mandates, manufacture of the Models 21 - half stock and 22 - full stock Brno rifles continued in progress until at least 1950. In that year, the ZG47 was finally introduced in small ring action format. That production, into 1951 and possibly bit later, was 'relatively' small & short-lived. From then, a hiatus period began as Brno was tasked by Soviet leadership with development and later production of military weapons. Only by sometime in mid nineteen fifties, a Brno sporting rifle was introduced. It of large ring pattern and otherwise differing design than 'of old'. Significantly, such yet utilizing the same ZG47 designation. From that fact, an endemic problem arising and considerable resulting confusion incurred. Viewing factually differing model rifles wearing same nomenclature!

The original pattern rifle, of which I have two, is said as noted, to have been low in relative numbers and "rare". I the decades since I purchased the first specimen only to have viewed three other specimens first hand. The second viewed, I made mine. Another 'not for sale'. Last, simply overpriced. I've also seen the later edition somewhat more often yet still suggesting likely never in huge numbers. It perhaps made into the sixties? I'm unsure, but that also not on point here.
Of my several Models 21 and 22, production dates as "47" & "48". I've noted an interesting evolution in my own specimens of those models, but too far afield for discussion here.

Brno was not alone in utilizing the same model designator for notably differing configuration rifles. Husqvarna yet takes the cake in "Model 640" designation, reflecting their rifles of both "96" pattern and "98" pattern models... Oh my! Also both such Husqvarnas and these rifles under consideration; European style of era, not reflecting model number within rifle nomenclature!

By bow, the fact of the little known/short lived "first series" of ZG47 rifles, strongly contributing to the perpetuation of confusion and attempts to link differing characteristics as one single configured rifle.
My "best factual evidence", reiterating 'in 'possession' as reflected in the previous pix above & contemporary pix below. Here "5 pix limit" reflecting most evidentiary-relevant details.
Best & Keep Safe!
John

Attached picture Brno ZB 47 rifle.jpg
Attached picture Brno Ex 7.jpg
Attached picture Bron Ex 6.jpg
Attached picture Bron Ex 8.jpg
Attached picture Brno Ex 3.jpg
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by captjohn

The action looks like a small ring German military Mauser. I have one with similar markings that was made at the Erfurt Arsenal in 1916.
Posted By: iskra Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Yes, but John doesn't let facts get in the way.

My apologies to forum members for the following aside, admitting my sensitivity to unprovoked insults...
z1r, a second time now in about as many weeks, your above allegation cast. I then asked you for your own "facts" to support such allegation. Reiterating the same allegation is no reply. Even then my peacemaking comment offered: "Reasonable minds can differ."
I wonder what's going on here! Again to request, kindly offer up whatever your basis supporting such conclusions!!! If you're dissatisfied with my statements, make it a productive learning experience for me. Perhaps for other Forum members too.
Not to dwell here. But invitation, "prove up your assertions" cast! "Constructive criticism, offers remedial guidance! Just now, best inference your intent simply to belittle. If so, my belief 'end-game' simply to demean yourself.
Offered in frank critique and challenge. In any instance wishing you...
Best & Stay Safe!
John
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The action looks like a small ring German military Mauser. I have one with similar markings that was made at the Erfurt Arsenal in 1916.

Yes, the OP's rifle appears to be WWI era Kar98 variant.
On a Mauser action if the bolt/screw spacing on the bottom metal is 7-7/8" does that uniformly mean a large ring barrel? Or did some small rings have the larger spacing on bottom metal?
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Yes, the OP's rifle appears to be WWI era Kar98 variant.

That's what I would say, small ring/large shank. I'd be cautious about what you rebarrel to if you go that route, not a lot of meat on that front ring. May want to just enjoy it as it sits.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
On a Mauser action if the bolt/screw spacing on the bottom metal is 7-7/8" does that uniformly mean a large ring barrel? Or did some small rings have the larger spacing on bottom metal?

That kar.98 should have a large ring barrel shank.
The terms Small Ring and Large ring are often used to denote pre-98's and 98's respectively. However, there are small ring standard length 98's like the German Kar 98 series, the Polish K98 series, the Czech vz 33, and German G33/40. All of which have a standard 98 footprint. The first two, Kar 98 and K98, like yours, are what is known as small ring large thread receivers. Meaning they have a front ring that nominally measures 1.300", and use standard large ring 98 Mauser barrels threaded 1.100"x12 TPI. The G33/40 and VZ33 also share the same ring dimensions, but use small ring threaded barrels with a 0.980"x12 tpi thread.

Then there are the Small Ring Mexican 98's which share the same action screw spacing as the pre-98's but have all the features of a 98. These use .980"x12 tpi threads. Then you have the 1903 Turk and 1909 Peruvian which are standard length LR 98's but use small ring barrels, 0.980"x12 TPI with a longer shank, and use an intermediate length bolt. Then you have the intermediate length 98's like the FN 24 and Yugo 24, 24/47. and 48's, these being Large Ring, large thread.
John, ZG47 SN 00001 is a Large Ring chambered in 9,3x62. It is known that some of the later production 21/22's came with a complete zg47 bolt, or just the safety, thus departing from the more common "spoon" or "butterknife" handle. This incorporation of zg47 features causing confusion.

I point out your insistence of calling things factual that you preface with what amounts to an "I read it on the internet."

Your "assumption" that Parker Hale used Zastava actions for instance because the Interarms actions were marked, "Manchester England."

Your recent unsubstantiated proclamation about Sunny Hill Bottom metal? Etc...
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/26/20
Didn't Parker Hale use the Santa Barbra actions?
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Yes, yes they did. But John here states it's a well known fact that PH used Zastava actions. Based on what, I'd like to know?
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Yes, yes they did. But John here states it's a well known fact that PH used Zastava actions. Based on what, I'd like to know?

Quoting John here in reference to a Santa Barbara action someone asked about on another forum: "The bolt handle is neither FN nor Zastava pattern. Perhaps that defaults to Santa Barbara of Spain, assuming it's original. 'Most' such actions were marked "Spain" on receiver ring underside, or thereabouts. This particular rifle action in pix, utilizing the earlier standard striker impinging safety mauser action, versus the FN termed "Supreme" action with sliding trigger impinging safety. The Supreme more popular, though I prefer the classic as here. That for the ever so much more direct and positive safety system.
Lore over decades of SB questionable steel composition and of heat treating. It does seem probable there were some "soft actions". Also apparently that there was something akin to a recall - perhaps limited to guns yet in the hands of manufacturers. Another seemingly factual matter that Parker Hale experienced some soft SB actions in their production process. Perhaps the reason moving to Zastava."
Zastava actions are the old Interarms Mark X actions just under a new name. AFAIK PH never used the Zastava/Interarms actions for their rifles.

Thanks z1r for your answer to my question.
You're welcome. Actually, Interarms was the new name for Zastava actions. The Zastava plant made them for Interarms whilst also marketing them under their own name. Zastava supplied their Commercial 98 action to a host of companies: Charles Daly, Montgomery Ward, Mauser, Remington, and are selling them as their own LK M70.
I didn't know that z1r! Thanks again.
Posted By: z1r Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/27/20
Neither did I til some years back. The US market wasn't able to import goods from Communist countries preventing us from enjoying many fine rifles. Sam Cummings circumvented that embargo by importing Zastava made actions/rifles into Manchester England, marking them as such, and them importing into the US. Thus, we Americans are most familiar with the Interarms name whilst the rest of the world knew of Zastava.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by z1r
John, ZG47 SN 00001 is a Large Ring chambered in 9,3x62. It is known that some of the later production 21/22's came with a complete zg47 bolt, or just the safety, thus departing from the more common "spoon" or "butterknife" handle. This incorporation of zg47 features causing confusion.

I point out your insistence of calling things factual that you preface with what amounts to an "I read it on the internet."

Your "assumption" that Parker Hale used Zastava actions for instance because the Interarms actions were marked, "Manchester England."

Your recent unsubstantiated proclamation about Sunny Hill Bottom metal? Etc...

There is no mistake whatsoever...that fucking clown has never been correct about anything regarding Brno, you only have to peruse some of the absolute shit he posted on GunBoards.

His word is not worth a damned thing.

added...on the other hand you seem to have a very good grasp on the subject.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 7mm Mauser ID - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by z1r
Neither did I til some years back. The US market wasn't able to import goods from Communist countries preventing us from enjoying many fine rifles. Sam Cummings circumvented that embargo by importing Zastava made actions/rifles into Manchester England, marking them as such, and them importing into the US. Thus, we Americans are most familiar with the Interarms name whilst the rest of the world knew of Zastava.

Learn something new today!
© 24hourcampfire