Home
Posted By: hookeye Age gun wood - 03/27/21
Got a repro stock and need to age it to match rest.
Needs slightly darkened and dirtied

What is preferred method/ staining ?

TIA
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Age gun wood - 03/27/21
bees wax and sunlight
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Age gun wood - 03/27/21
Thing is no matter what you do it'll look like an artificially aged stock, but short of redoing the metal to match the wood what's a boy to do?

I did a Mauser stock once by rubbing it with used motor oil and beating it up with a key ring full of keys. Looked like crap when I was done. Shame because it was a real pretty WWII vintage stock. Ah, the hubris of youth.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Age gun wood - 03/27/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Thing is no matter what you do it'll look like an artificially aged stock, but short of redoing the metal to match the wood what's a boy to do?

I did a Mauser stock once by rubbing it with used motor oil and beating it up with a key ring full of keys. Looked like crap when I was done. Shame because it was a real pretty WWII vintage stock. Ah, the hubris of youth.

BTDT! still have it in a outbuilding somewhere, 50 years later. if the rats haven't eaten it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Age gun wood - 03/31/21
Assemble and loan it to a neighbor for a season with a word or two to be careful. About Christmas, swing by and retrieve if from the back of his pickup.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Age gun wood - 03/31/21
Found some stuff about vinegar and steel wool
Also found that there are commercial accelerators.
Posted By: richj Re: Age gun wood - 04/09/21
vinegar and steel wood will turn any wood with tannin in it - black also called ebonizing

the black shelves in this mahogany cabinet were coated in the vinegar with the steelwool "dissolved" in it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Age gun wood - 04/17/21
6-8% solution of potassium permanganate
© 24hourcampfire