Home
Is the timney 98FN the replacement trigger for this rifle? Os there a better easily available option?
I fitted one. The action web was a bit thick, not allowing enough sear engagement. I had to remove some material off the top of the Timney housing for better sear engagement. But it worked. I had gotten a taller sear from Timney, they’re helpful in that regard. But it didn’t work as well as the original with the Timney positioned a bit higher.

DF
My husky 1640 has a timney for an FN mauser. No fitting needed.

I replaced my bolt shroud/safety with mauser parts because I prefer the safety to block the firing pin. If you don't want to do that, you need the timney with the built in trigger safety
Are you specifically looking for an adjustable replacement trigger like a Timney? Or just a replacement Husqvarna 1640 trigger of any type? Do you just need parts to make the original trigger group workable? More details on what you are after please.
I want something that isnt 10lbs lol. I want to replace with an aftermarket adjustable trigger.
As Dirtfarmer and MTDan said, the Timney works. You will have to do something different for the safety as they indicated though. Timney used to make a HVA 1640 trigger that used the factory Husqvarna safety lever but, they have not been made in years and are very difficult to find. Jeager made one like the Timney as well at one time. You may even find one stamped Tradewinds as well.

I think Huber Concepts make a replacement trigger that works from what I have heard. I have no experience with them and I am not 100% certain. You would probably have to contact them for details. A good gunsmith work over of the original Mauser pivot style trigger group may do wonders for the original trigger. And it may be the most affordable option. Best of luck!
I have had Dennis Olson clean up some of my factory 1640 triggers with very satisfactory results if you are not committed to a full replacement.
After taking it apart and looking at it, can I not just replace the heavy spring with a lighter one?
I would guess that is a question for a qualified gunsmith. I figure a trigger is engineered to use the springs it came with, to be on the safe side.
I went on and ordered the 301 timney.
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
I went on and ordered the 301 timney.

Probably the quickest and easiest fix.

DF
Got it installed. Had to take out a good bit of wood to get it to fit in. Not real impressed by the safety. It is really tight and kind of grinds even out of the stock.
Got it installed. Had to take out a good bit of wood to get it to fit in. Not real impressed by the safety. It is really tight and kind of grinds even out of the stock.

It may benefit from some lube at the ball bearing and where surfaces meet.

DF
I did hit it with some clp, but i am going to find some grease. I would even call it gritty feeling at the safety.
May want to polish some of those surfaces, A good gun grease at the critical spots will help. And, of course, those things tend to smooth out with usage. I just don't like to wait. I want it smooth, like right now.... grin

DF
Me too, i worked it a few hundred times hoping it would ease up some but no dice.
Me too, i worked it a few hundred times hoping it would ease up some but no dice.

A dab of a good gun grease where the detent and ball bearing work and under the parts that slide should make it better. If not, and if it was mine, I'd pop the "C" clip, remove the safety lever and polish whatever rubbed against whatever, lube and reassemble. I've never had to do that, but don't think it would be that hard. I'd leave the inside stuff alone.

DF
Originally Posted by haverluk
I have had Dennis Olson clean up some of my factory 1640 triggers with very satisfactory results if you are not committed to a full replacement.

What did that run? I have a 9.3x62 that shows promise, but I really need to concentrate to get through that rough trigger pull.
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjaeger
Originally Posted by haverluk

What did that run? I have a 9.3x62 that shows promise, but I really need to concentrate to get through that rough trigger pull.
$40 well spent.
© 24hourcampfire