Home
hey guys hope everyone is well! I just recently inheritied this. Back when the Indian No.2A's were coming in, one company (Anyone know?) cut the barrels, added the jungle carbine flash hiders, slimmed the forends, and changed the upper handguards to make a "Jungle Carbine". Yeah, it's fake, in that they wee never issued this way, but wow is it a neat little gun! here's some not-so-hot pics of mine...enjoy!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
7.62 NATO/.308 to boot!
40 inches and 8lbs!
Pretty nifty. How does it shoot?
Same with the so-called “Tanker Garand” never produced, but someone made up a few.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Same with the so-called “Tanker Garand” never produced, but someone made up a few.

Springfield Armory actually made some Factory “Tanker” Garlands in the late 80’s and early 90’s. They were in .308 instead of 30-06. Mine was very accurate too. Rare and expensive if you find one.

Cool little Enfield ! I’d buy a “faked” Jungle Carbine in a heart beat if the price was right. 🤠
I looks cool, but; it would be ever so much better if they started with a No4 Lee Enfield. That would have a proper looking rear peep and same basic receiver as the Jungle Carbine. The jungle carbine was the No5 Lee Enfield. Perhaps they cut down both No1 and No4. Anything to sell a gun and make a buck.

I never would suggest such a thing be done to a good rifle, but; some one could make thier own today. The flashhider/front sight is available. That would be only new part needed. There are a lot of sporteried No4 around. If that needed it, you might locate any combo of used stock parts and improvise or get a repro No5 stock.
It may have been Gibbs Arms that converted these?????
Santa Fe?
Lithgow Small Arms Factory made a handful of rifles almost identical to that in 1955, for the Royal Australian Air Force. Here's a link: www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL:19494

There had been a few earlier versions of shortened, lightened rifles based on the No 1 Mk III/III* made at LSAF before that, during WWII, intended for jungle warfare. Experimental batches only - a matter of hundreds - they didn't end up being adopted.
Some or one of the old importer ad's refereed to a No6. Apparently the gun posted by dan was inspiration for using that name. I dont know if the OP gun was fabricated and sold as a No6, but some definitely were, Instead of a poor copy of the No5, this now becomes a clone of the No6. Good post!

I also missed that this was a 308. That maybe a handful for casual shooting. I would want to reload for that, if fun shooting at a club was on the agenda.
I did a Google search and these Gibbs(?) modified guns have an official name: "Ishapore 2A1 No. 7 .308 Jungle Carbine"

The cut down 2A1 in 308 called a No7 while the cut-down No1 in 303 was called a No6.
Gun was not produced by Santa Fe, but it may well have been Gibbs, in fact I think it was!

Has a short sight radius but actually does quite well, I can hit an 8" gong at 100 yds easily. I am going to have to paint the front post with touch, as it disappears in the rear V sight
Gibbs= Navy Arms= Val Forgett,Jr. They had a retail/wholesale outlet in Martinsburg, WV, back in the day, chock full of such tasty items. Wandering around in there was truly an education in how to doctor milsurps. Ah, the good old days.
I got one of the S/A Tanker Garands in .308 and I have no trouble hitting the 300 yard steel with it. Bought some 5 round clips for it to hunt with but can't bring my old bones to carry it. Too heavy. Super fun gun.
George
Agreed, Cool, I'd buy one if I had the dies & components.
I have a N0. 5 Jungle Carbine that I restocked years and years ago. Fun to shoot, but I will tell you it has some vicious muzzle flip with 180 grainers. Secure the frond when shooting from a bench with a rest. Trust me on this one. wink

BTW - good job! ave fun!
I have that same exact rifle in .308. numerics has magazines.

kwg
Kind of on the same topic of modified Lee Enfields - Navy Arms offered a 45/70 version of these rifles. I do not mean a jungle carbine, but; a somewhat modern looking hunting rifle. New barrel and sights. Cannot remember what they did with the stocks.

Edit: A Google search reveals Gibbs is currently or very recently making the 45/70 conversions. That seems a shame.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/21/gibbs-rifle-companys-45-70-no-4-lee-enfield/
I thought that firearms imported into the US had to be stamped with the importer's name or mark. Maybe you can find the mark. That sounds like Forgett's work.
I have one just like it, and it shoots pretty well. My goal is to turn it into a scout rifle (yes, I know, its too heavy, but still!). Looking for a good scope mount to replace the rear sight, then have ring welded to the clip bridge to extend the iron sight radius.

Got mine for $350 and it came with 2 spare mags and the bolt tool.
I do remember the ads but can’t remember what company was involved.
It was Gibbs as has been previously stated. Old Western Scrounger is also Forgett.
Originally Posted by fourbore
I did a Google search and these Gibbs(?) modified guns have an official name: "Ishapore 2A1 No. 7 .308 Jungle Carbine"

The cut down 2A1 in 308 called a No7 while the cut-down No1 in 303 was called a No6.

I shoot 150 grain FMJ's over 43.5 grains of Winchester 748. They will rattle the fillings out of your teeth. I think i'll go to a 125 grain something to see if I can tame it down a bit. That metal butt plate will hurt ya. Accuracy is OK. It would be nice to mount a red dot of some type on the rear sight .

kwg
Just first, disclaimer. SMLE novice here, but six decades plus rifle collector. Seems to me a #4 the sort of thing a really nifty, interesting .308 Win/7.62 conversion. The 'but for', rubber meeting road reality. Bolt head modif, barrel change, feeding & magazine problems... galore. Am I wrong? One matter to manufacture 10K to 100K in production facility & govt deep pockets backing. Quite another matter one/few-off conversions.
There seem clearly sufficient 'donor rifles', non-collectible specimen pool. The, "but for..." as above!

Just my questioning take.
Best!
John
Originally Posted by iskra
Just first, disclaimer. SMLE novice here, but six decades plus rifle collector. Seems to me a #4 the sort of thing a really nifty, interesting .308 Win/7.62 conversion. The 'but for', rubber meeting road reality. Bolt head modif, barrel change, feeding & magazine problems... galore. Am I wrong? One matter to manufacture 10K to 100K in production facility & govt deep pockets backing. Quite another matter one/few-off conversions.
There seem clearly sufficient 'donor rifles', non-collectible specimen pool. The, "but for..." as above!

Best!
John

It is a bit hard to decipher your point here, or what the question is. FWIW though the OP's rifle is not a No 4, but built on an Ishapore No 2A1. These were made in 7.62 to start with, not a conversion. The Indians made and used a couple of hundred thousand of them.
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by iskra

Best!
John

It is a bit hard to decipher your point here, or what the question is. FWIW though the OP's rifle is not a No 4, but built on an Ishapore No 2A1. These were made in 7.62 to start with, not a conversion. The Indians made and used a couple of hundred thousand of them.

It was my understanding they were NOT conversions but came from the Ishapore factory in this configuration.

kwg
The Ishapore 2A and 2A1 were manufactured as 7.62x51mm from the get go. They were not converted 303s.

What you will find is the headspacing is 7.62 NATO, so if you run 308 gauges into it, the rifle will likely fail the NO GO check. In other words, the bolt will close on the NO GO gauge. This DOES NOT necessarily mean the rifle is unsafe to fire. It means there is a little extra room for the NATO cartridge.

Here's a bit of light reading about 308 vs 7.62 NATO.

https://303british.com/7-62-nato-or-308-winchester-whats-the-difference/
Interesting that, thanks. Some day when I grow up I need to get a .308.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

You're welcome.

WRT 308s, I would steer clear of them. They say people who fire rimless handgun or rifle cartridges develop warts, tags and unexplained rashes. blush
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

The Ishapore 2A was my first 308. I have since added a Savage 308. I haven't seen the need for a 308 in an AR configuration yet but maybe some day.
kwg
Fake or not, I think Enfields are cool guns
Originally Posted by philgood80
Fake or not, I think Enfields are cool guns

Yep.
© 24hourcampfire