Home
Posted By: kaywoodie This season’s choice - 09/12/21
I think this will be my rifle choice for any opportunities I have to chase the wild deer and follow the roe.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A 30/06. And I have some lighter projectile loads to try in it.

What are you going to use?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: This season’s choice - 09/12/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Been shooting this a lot lately, 240 gr. cast, shots a 1" at 100 yrds under 2" at 150 yrds, Fun to shoot and knocks the hell out of pigs. Rio7
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: This season’s choice - 09/12/21
Hey! I know that spot!!!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: This season’s choice - 09/12/21
Rio7 what 's that Hepburn chambered for?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: This season’s choice - 09/12/21

Magnum Bob, 38-55 Rio7
Posted By: renegade50 Re: This season’s choice - 09/13/21
Early Post WW2 Sako customized 98 in 8x57.
Weighs 7.75 pds scoped and loaded.
Pleasure to carry, well balanced, and comes up instinctively natrual.
I did alot of work on it after I found it in a Pawnshop.
Posted alot of threads on work I did on it.
Someone pawned grampies rifle he picked up in a PX in Europe is my speculation on it.
Hammer of the Gods with S&B 196gr SPCE in it and accurate as hell.
My poor ole mod 70 ot6 aint gonna see the woodline for the 4th year running again.
Thats how much I like this 98.

Posted By: gnoahhh Re: This season’s choice - 09/13/21
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I think this will be my rifle choice for any opportunities I have to chase the wild deer and follow the roe.

A 30/06. And I have some lighter projectile loads to try in it.

What are you going to use?

I have it's twin, in .30-06 also. Has been my companion on many frosty mornings, but I'll probably reach for the Ruger 1A 6.5×55 again this year.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Someone pawned grampies rifle he picked up in a PX in Europe is my speculation on it.
My poor ole mod 70 ot6 aint gonna see the woodline for the 4th year running again.

I have to say that is a sweet rifle. Set up perfectly for the kind of hunting I do mostly. I like a well balanced rifle and one that fits you perfectly. The reason I have also customize some of my stocks for perfect fit and handling. I find some of the older rifles actually fit my needs better as well. I've been thinking about which rifle I am going to use and I kind of have an "old faithful". Its not the prettiest or the lightest, but it just fits:

And yes, it used to be a "military rifle". Most of you here can tell which one..
Posted By: hanco Re: This season’s choice - 09/14/21
Got this 6.5-06, plan on using it a lot this season. I have a new to me G33/40 in 30-06 headed to me. I’m hoping to use it this fall too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]popular names 1990
Posted By: Joe Re: This season’s choice - 09/16/21
Oh dear decision time again. I most probably will take my .30'06 Husqvarna:

But it is really hard to leave my trusty 7x57 M.98 at home:

Anyway, I have 6 more weeks to change my mind again! wink
There's a lot of beautiful rifles in this thread.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: This season’s choice - 09/17/21
There sure is BSA! Great rifles!
Posted By: iskra Fine Guns Always 'In Season...! - 09/17/21
Someone say "...BSA! Great Rifles!" smile smile smile
Agreeing. Perhaps just that a muzzle brake on a .243 Win chambering; a bit 'much'!

These BSA (Birmingham Small Arms England) rifles aren't common, but they're fine rifles. My small 'battery' includes two more in '06 and one medium length action in 257 Roberts Ackley Imp. So... As seeing opportunity for 'play on words'; couldn't resist. BSA1917, Excuse Please! smile

Otherwise... Back to business... Some mighty handsome rifles here! For sure! Kaywoodie
Perhaps on a more serious note, that's a beautiful mauser/great stock! How about some additional details, commercial or custom, etc & maybe a few more 'centerfold pix, etc. It's a great 'teaser', but now kindly 'stand & deliver' on what you started here! smile smile smile

My personal choice in context here, perhaps my Husqvarna, 1955 vintage 30-06. A great exemplar "KISS" rifle. Full 14" stock LOP, looking shorter due to great for me, long forend!
Best
John

Attached picture R78-3.jpg
Attached picture R78-4U.jpg
Attached picture R78-15.jpg
Attached picture R78-2 (Phone).jpg
Attached picture R350-3U.jpg
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
There sure is BSA! Great rifles!

and I am not going to pollute it with what I'll be using.... Polymer Stock etc.
and made a long time after 1947.....

Bob would probably just beat me over the head with it, if I showed up with the rifle I am planning to use.
The only gun I would be tempted to beat it's owner with would be a Sears&Roebuck .410 single shot if he showed up in deer camp with it.

(Now someone will pipe up with tales of Grampaw keeping the family fed with venison with a .410 during the Blizzard of '29!)

😁😁
Originally Posted by renegade50

Love that rifle. Excellent work
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The only gun I would be tempted to beat it's owner with would be a Sears&Roebuck .410 single shot if he showed up in deer camp with it.

(Now someone will pipe up with tales of Grampaw keeping the family fed with venison with a .410 during the Blizzard of '29!)

😁😁

No plans to hunt deer with it, but in a pinch, my little Henry could get ‘er done, I think.

Brennekes (1800fps) at 50 yards with a prism sight:
[Linked Image]

Nit sure this one will make it out this season; there’s a few ahead of it in the que.
Heym .308. Now wears a See All open sight that allows Grandpa to shoot without glasses.

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles guys, thanks for sharing
Originally Posted by iskra
Agreeing. Perhaps just that a muzzle brake on a .243 Win chambering; a bit 'much'!

These BSA (Birmingham Small Arms England) rifles aren't common, but they're fine rifles. My small 'battery' includes two more in '06 and one medium length action in 257 Roberts Ackley Imp. So... As seeing opportunity for 'play on words'; couldn't resist. BSA1917, Excuse Please! smile

Otherwise... Back to business... Some mighty handsome rifles here! For sure! Kaywoodie
Perhaps on a more serious note, that's a beautiful mauser/great stock! How about some additional details, commercial or custom, etc & maybe a few more 'centerfold pix, etc. It's a great 'teaser', but now kindly 'stand & deliver' on what you started here! smile smile smile

My personal choice in context here, perhaps my Husqvarna, 1955 vintage 30-06. A great exemplar "KISS" rifle. Full 14" stock LOP, looking shorter due to great for me, long forend!
Best
John

Those are newer BSA rifles than mine. Mine are all early 50's as well, but built on m1917 receivers. They did the best job sporterizing the venerable m1917's and some p14's. Here's a couple more. I may just decide to run the 308 Norma magnum this year, since I have not had a chance to bloody it up:

308 Norma magnum BSA model E:

My old BSA model D, that I foolishly sold:

The other M1917 I posted earlier has been very lucky for both deer and elk.

Here's the original stock from my model E. I gave the rifle to my buddy:

He may use it this year on his deer hunt..
I have this old Husky, built by Iver Henrickson,a 25-06. I hope to take it hunting this year.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by iskra

Best
John

Those are newer BSA rifles than mine. Mine are all early 50's as well, but built on m1917 receivers. They did the best job sporterizing the venerable m1917's and some p14's. Here's a couple more. I may just decide to run the 308 Norma magnum this year, since I have not had a chance to bloody it up:

308 Norma magnum BSA model E:

My old BSA model D, that I foolishly sold:

The other M1917 I posted earlier has been very lucky for both deer and elk.

Here's the original stock from my model E. I gave the rifle to my buddy:

He may use it this year on his deer hunt..

That 308 Norma Mag is a neat rifle !
Posted By: szihn Re: This season’s choice - 10/07/21
A few I pit together. All have been used to kill game.
8X57

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
303 Lee

9.3X57

6.5X54 M/S
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: This season’s choice - 10/07/21
Nice looking work Szihn .mb
Posted By: hanco Re: This season’s choice - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nice looking work Szihn .mb

They are very nice
Posted By: 5thShock Re: This season’s choice - 10/08/21
Love that Lee Speed.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: This season’s choice - 10/26/21
It's always kinda a special moment when ya run into that someone infrequently. Who looks at someone using a semi custom or custom old school mil bolt rifle as their go to gun for hunting as somehow being limited with some of their urban legend nuggets they drop in conversation.

They dont even know it seems most modern bolt rifles are based on mil bolt battle rifles from the past.
SMH.....

I have shut a few up over the last 4 years.
Good naturedly, but with a intent to be a basic butthead of put up or shut up....

"Hey man pick out a recognizable knot on a tree 50 to 100 yds out brace off the side of this tree here and lets both take one shot".

The 3 or 4 times I have done this I havent had a taker yet....
It's gotta be that they dont know how to brace off the side of a tree and take a shot.
Gotta be......
😄😄😄
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: This season’s choice - 10/27/21
1959 JC Higgins M51-L 308 using cast bullets has been a favorite for filling the freezer the last few years. Husky HVA action, barreled and stocked by High Standard for Sears. The HVA action is an improved m96, small ring, m98 length with high quality Swedish machining and steel.
© 24hourcampfire