Home
Posted By: jklund38 Enfield questions - 09/18/21
My friend had this 1917 in his safe and wants me to give him a fair price. No clue on the value as they seem to be all Over the place. This was a gun that his grandpa bought from the estate of a buddy of his that he was in the National Guard with. Serial number is 223,xxx. Any ideas on a fair price?

Attached picture 7E0AD27B-C1E0-4DD1-A009-9392A6B0647D.jpeg
Attached picture FE35DEE3-4C45-4FBC-9610-CAEA04F64E4D.jpeg
Attached picture 04274761-27A3-427D-AF8C-67EB37DCBC36.jpeg
Attached picture 84B4BB03-EEEC-486D-8329-A43EBE596DA5.jpeg
Attached picture 6772987F-C107-434D-BBA7-BE4F21E71177.jpeg
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Enfield questions - 09/18/21
Too bad it’s been sportarized.
The originals are bringing $1100 $1800 depending on condition.

The ones I’ve seen like that for sale in my LGS are usually priced around $400 to $450.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Enfield questions - 09/18/21
In my depressed economy area, these show up fairly often for 350ish. Usually a little better job of sporterizing than this one...but it's all about the metal and the bore. Be sure the ejector spring isn't broken. They are getting pricey and the aftermarket update is hard to find. IMO it's hard to find a better foundation for a build if that's the way your mind runs. But, there is a lot of work to be done on them, and unless you are willing to do it yourself, you can get into serious money. Do not get in a hurry to replace an original '17 bbl unless it has visible defects...they can and likely will be stone accurate.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Enfield questions - 09/18/21
Not very much as is. It's pretty butchered...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Enfield questions - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by flintlocke
In my depressed economy area, these show up fairly often for 350ish. Usually a little better job of sporterizing than this one...but it's all about the metal and the bore. Be sure the ejector spring isn't broken. They are getting pricey and the aftermarket update is hard to find. IMO it's hard to find a better foundation for a build if that's the way your mind runs. But, there is a lot of work to be done on them, and unless you are willing to do it yourself, you can get into serious money. Do not get in a hurry to replace an original '17 bbl unless it has visible defects...they can and likely will be stone accurate.

It doesn't matter if the ejector spring is broken, because most of them are. Its very easy to convert them to a coil spring ejector. Either do it yourself or buy one that is already done. I don't even waste my time with the originals because if they are not broken now, they soon will be. Its a moot point.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The rifle in question is not just "sporterized", but its extremely bastardized IMHO..
Posted By: fourbore Re: Enfield questions - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Not very much as is. It's pretty butchered...

Exactly right. I have recently gone $100 to $150 for better mil surps. I am not certain what is up with the scope mount, but; with all those holes I have walked away from similar guns even at $100. Tell him to put the bolt on ebay. Probably do ok, in parts. I would consider that a waste of time and your friend maybe offended.

That $1100 to $1800 is simply a distraction and not acccurate. The $400 is way to much. A good all correct usa GI 1917 might be $800 tops. Or $1000 in these desperate times, The numbers quoted do not make any sense, even as hypothetical,
Posted By: iskra Re: Enfield questions - 09/18/21
bsa + fourbore + me too!

To me, the specimen rifle likely at least qualified as "truck gun/shooter"... But for... That side scope mount "remnant"! Side mounts nowadays at very best, playing to quite small audiences. Where complete mount w/scope; as 'package', perhaps 'saleable' category - at a price - yet 'econo-truck gun' context.
As shown, useless 'half-vast' mount hole scars if removed... Parts gun, "highest & best" use!

My take
John
© 24hourcampfire