Home
Posted By: Bugger Iron sights - 05/28/22
I got a kick out of Mike Venturino’s article on iron sights in the latest Rifle magazine. Being Memorial Day week end and the article made a random memory - remembered.
A guy I knew had been in Force Recon Marines (Marine Special Forces) told me that his M16 always shot a little to the right. This guy might have been tough as nails - he lived through his tour in Laos with a rifle that wasn’t sighted in. He ended up getting a million dollar wound that brought him back to the states and got his Purple Heart.
I can only imagine the look on my face when he said, “Yeh, my M16 always shot to the right!”
I know I was to awe struck when he told me. I just turned and walked away.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 05/28/22
Interesting
Posted By: Craigster Re: Iron sights - 05/28/22
IIRC (and I do) mine shot close enough for government work.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by Craigster
IIRC (and I do) mine shot close enough for government work.

Sights are easy to adjust. Also, as most guys know with most rifles, different ammo has different poi.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Iron sights - 06/06/22
Woefully few actually know how and can actually adjust their own open sights but it doesn’t really matter because guns don’t come with sights anymore. Guns come in smaller calibers because fewer shooters learn proper form to mitigate recoil. Fewer still can estimate range within 50 yards let alone 10. Good thing we have range finding scopes that have Bluetooth to communicate with their phones.
Posted By: iskra Re: Iron sights - 06/08/22
Some forgetting the term "adjustable" in respect of sights, actually meaningful.

For myself as having my iron sights ever well "corrected" I attributed misses to their true causation... "Coriolis Effect" of course! Our great Capitol Ship's of past eras first needing to account! To calculate such effect upon their shelling of distant targets. Such defined as projectile flight time proximate to Earth's respective rotational movement in relation to the projectiles course of flight in turn as relationship to earth's axis. Got it!

In respect of my professional quarterly handgun range qualification mandate, 'misses' simply act of nature, as 'earth moving experience"! smile smile smile

Best!
John
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 06/08/22
Originally Posted by iskra
Some forgetting the term "adjustable" in respect of sights, actually meaningful.

For myself as having my iron sights ever well "corrected" I attributed misses to their true causation... "Coriolis Effect" of course! Our great Capitol Ship's of past eras first needing to account! To calculate such effect upon their shelling of distant targets. Such defined as projectile flight time proximate to Earth's respective rotational movement in relation to the projectiles course of flight in turn as relationship to earth's axis. Got it!

In respect of my professional quarterly handgun range qualification mandate, 'misses' simply act of nature, as 'earth moving experience"! smile smile smile

Best!
John

I've missed on a rare occasion as well John.. I think anyways.. Let me get back to you on that.. ha ha..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good example right there. ^^^^ My excuse: It was raining too hard:

The paper even got soggy. But to say my sights are always off to the right or left.. nah.. If they were, I'd correct that in a jiffy..
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Iron sights - 06/08/22
I believe its been a decade now since I took any game with a rifle using a telescopic sight. At lease since 2010 or 2012? Not bragging. Just enjoy the iron sights. Will continue to use them as long as I practically can.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Iron sights - 06/08/22
I just picked up this rifle recently. I am really enjoying the iron sights on this guy.
kwg
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Iron sights - 06/08/22
After peep sight the express sight with a gold filled line under center of V are my favorite irons.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Iron sights - 06/14/22
I enjoy using iron sights. In fact I took my 7x57 Mauser out woodchuck hunting this past weekend to get acquainted with it as it is a recent aquasition. I had sighted it in on paper earlier this spring. It has the typical German flip up rear sight calibrated for 100 and 300 meters. Never got to use the 300 meter as the 3 chucks I shot at were all under 100 meters. Took one through head at 40 yards missed 2nd on because I tried to use the set trigger and need to practice more with it before using it on game. Hair trigger is apt description. 3rd was at 90 yards body shot offhand standing. Overall pretty pleased and will do some shooting drills with set trigger.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 06/14/22
Originally Posted by MS9x56
I enjoy using iron sights. In fact I took my 7x57 Mauser out woodchuck hunting this past weekend to get acquainted with it as it is a recent aquasition. I had sighted it in on paper earlier this spring. It has the typical German flip up rear sight calibrated for 100 and 300 meters. Never got to use the 300 meter as the 3 chucks I shot at were all under 100 meters. Took one through head at 40 yards missed 2nd on because I tried to use the set trigger and need to practice more with it before using it on game. Hair trigger is apt description. 3rd was at 90 yards body shot offhand standing. Overall pretty pleased and will do some shooting drills with set trigger.

Sounds like fun. I grew up using irons, as i'm sure everyone else did here as well. Learned with a BB gun shooting flies on the wall. Then it progressed to running jackrabbits with everything from marlin 60's, 10-22's and my dads vz24 8mm mauser. Even did a lot of black powder shooting, irons only. Now that was fun. Now I have to shoot right handed with irons, so that takes some of the fun out of it. I wish my left eye would allow it, but that is life.. That means every group I post that I shoot with irons, I'm shooting from my "weak side"..

I'm spoiled now by sights like these. Oh, and yeah, you can adjust them.. ha ha..
Posted By: GaryLL1959 Re: Iron sights - 06/15/22
Originally Posted by Bugger
I can only imagine the look on my face when he said, “Yeh, my M16 always shot to the right!” .

But half the time, the badguy ran to the right, so he didn't have to lead him as much.....
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 06/15/22
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
I can only imagine the look on my face when he said, “Yeh, my M16 always shot to the right!” .

But half the time, the badguy ran to the right, so he didn't have to lead him as much.....

You better hope they don't change their game plan on you.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Iron sights - 06/15/22
I got a kick out of Mike Venturino’s article on iron sights in the latest Rifle magazine. Being Memorial Day week end and the article made a random memory - remembered.
A guy I knew had been in Force Recon Marines (Marine Special Forces) told me that his M16 always shot a little to the right. This guy might have been tough as nails - he lived through his tour in Laos with a rifle that wasn’t sighted in. He ended up getting a million dollar wound that brought him back to the states and got his Purple Heart.
I can only imagine the look on my face when he said, “Yeh, my M16 always shot to the right!”
I know I was to awe struck when he told me. I just turned and walked away.

At the distances of most of their engagements it probably didn't make too much difference.. whistle

I keep irons on this one

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Bugger Re: Iron sights - 06/15/22
My 375 Whelen AI wears a post front and a Lyman aperture rear.

I should see if it would kill a white tail doe.

For some reason I’ve found a lot of variety of 375 bullets and at a rather cheap price. Probably for the same reason I used to find partial (mostly full) boxes of factory 375 H&H ammo at gun shows rather cheap.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Iron sights - 06/15/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MS9x56

Sounds like fun. I grew up using irons, as i'm sure everyone else did here as well. Learned with a BB gun shooting flies on the wall. Then it progressed to running jackrabbits with everything from marlin 60's, 10-22's and my dads vz24 8mm mauser. Even did a lot of black powder shooting, irons only. Now that was fun. Now I have to shoot right handed with irons, so that takes some of the fun out of it. I wish my left eye would allow it, but that is life.. That means every group I post that I shoot with irons, I'm shooting from my "weak side"..

I'm spoiled now by sights like these. Oh, and yeah, you can adjust them.. ha ha..

Good shooting with those irons!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Iron sights - 06/15/22
My 375 Whelen AI wears a post front and a Lyman aperture rear.

I should see if it would kill a white tail doe.

For some reason I’ve found a lot of variety of 375 bullets and at a rather cheap price. Probably for the same reason I used to find partial (mostly full) boxes of factory 375 H&H ammo at gun shows rather cheap.

I’d bet that could be a fun hunt Bugger. Those bigger bores are danged eager to please.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Iron sights - 06/18/22
I know this is the Mauser/ military thread, but this is iron sight perfection for me!

Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Iron sights - 06/19/22
Can’t argue with that . Peep sights are my favorite irons as well as being the easiest to adjust.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Iron sights - 06/19/22
I have a Springfield 03-A3 with Olympic sights I might have to get out.
Posted By: Joe Re: Iron sights - 06/19/22
I enjoy this one made in 1918 with cast (mostly) as well as jacketed bullets.

Posted By: Garandimal Re: Iron sights - 06/19/22
Ruger Hawkeye African - 6.5x55mm.

Dedicated aperture rifle.

GR
Posted By: SS336 Re: Iron sights - 06/19/22
I like iron sights. Maybe not a varmiint rifle but on the right rifle they get the job done.

Posted By: navlav8r Re: Iron sights - 06/21/22
I really like that Krag. Very nice!

I had my second cataract surgery this morning; I’ve checked my eyes on a 45 Commander and may not need any correction.😊 I have an 03-A3 and I may have to break that sucker out more often.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 06/21/22
Some beautiful iron sighted rifles here guys.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Iron sights - 06/21/22
Caliber on that 760 under the skinner peep?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 06/23/22
I have a Springfield 03-A3 with Olympic sights I might have to get out.

There's an M1A at a shop that is driving me nuts. It has olympic style front and rear apertures and a heavier stainless barrel. I'll bet you can drive tacks with that thing. Every time I'm in that shop, I look at it.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Iron sights - 06/23/22
I just can't see through Mauser type irons. I have a K31 with a Mojo sight on it. What a huge difference. I think I will be doing a Moisin Nagant next. Handloads really worked well in it.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Iron sights - 06/23/22
Agreed on the "barleycorn" type iron sights on most Mausers. I'd say it's best feature is toughness. Glad the Swedes used the blade type front sight with the u shaped notch in the rear sight on their Mausers. IME it's a lot easier to shoot accurately.

Also agreed on the Mojo sight. I had them on a Yugo Mauser and an SKS, big improvement.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Agreed on the "barleycorn" type iron sights on most Mausers. I'd say it's best feature is toughness. Glad the Swedes used the blade type front sight with the u shaped notch in the rear sight on their Mausers. IME it's a lot easier to shoot accurately.

Also agreed on the Mojo sight. I had them on a Yugo Mauser and an SKS, big improvement.

I forget what manufacture I went with on my SKS, but it works well. I much prefer the rear aperture on some rifles. Even if it is just a simple one like this. I believe the Mojo sight is placed closer to the eye, so it may be better than this insert. This one is so simple to add to your rifle though and it works well enough on the SKS:

I was pretty happy with these results, even though it doesn't look really impressive. I was happy. Sometimes it doesn't take much to make me happy. ha ha..

I do agree with you though, the factory sights on the m96 work well. I was shooting mine just as well as I did with the new aperture sight. The guys at the club kind of gave me a hard time about the Solderin rear sight, but I tell them it doesn't shoot that much better, it just makes adjusting POI with different loads 10 times easier..
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Iron sights - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by SS336
I like iron sights. Maybe not a varmiint rifle but on the right rifle they get the job done.

That Krag is SWEET!
Posted By: EdM Re: Iron sights - 06/25/22
Dedicated receiver sighted 8x57 Erfurt Mauser. Both front and rear are Redfields.

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Iron sights - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by EdM
Dedicated receiver sighted 8x57 Erfurt Mauser. Both front and rear are Redfields.

Nice, but that front sight looks like its on backwards. Hard to tell exactly in the schidt picture though..
Posted By: MikeS Re: Iron sights - 06/25/22
Looks like a Redfield banded ramp front sight with the knurled hood to me. It would look silly mounted the other direction BSA...

Nice rifle!
Posted By: EdM Re: Iron sights - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by MikeS
Looks like a Redfield banded ramp front sight with the knurled hood to me. It would look silly mounted the other direction BSA...

Nice rifle!

Of course, you are correct.

© 24hourcampfire