Home
I’m having a barrel made in 7x57 (existing rifle Is a VZ33 action currently 270 Winchester). I’ll be shooting 160 gr North Fork and 175 gr older Hornady bullets. What is a preferred jump-to-lands distance ? Also what is everyone’s favorite/go-to powder? Thank you for your help
When I had my custom 7x57 made, I specified the throat to be the standard as designed in 1892 along with the 1 in 8.6" twist. Rifle is a replica of a pre-war sporter. Shoots 150 gr. bullets and heavier very nicely. I haven't shot anything lighter in the rifle other that a box of Winchester 145 gr. Power Points to get some once fired brass to use in the rifle. Even that load stayed within and inch.
PJ
Thank you for that info - much appreciated sir
My ole 7x57 likes H4831 powder.

I hope that you are not using a SAAMI reamer, the neck is like .007 too big! [my biggest gripe on the 7x57]

Load the bullets as long as possible.
I’ll have to check with the smith on the type of reamer. And thank you for the powder recommendation
Originally Posted by SafariLife
I’ll have to check with the smith on the type of reamer. And thank you for the powder recommendation

I have gotten some very interesting results with RL17 and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition in several 7x57 rifles I have.
PJ
I have shot 145 g speer GS out of my 7mm Mauser using Accurate 4350 shooting MOA at 100 yards no problem
© 24hourcampfire