Home
Posted By: Kenneth66 Spanish 95 ? - 11/21/22
I have what I think is a Spanish 95
7x57
My first deer rifle
Bore isn’t looking to hot and was key holing bullets last time I shot it some years ago
Looking at numerich arms they list a 1st edition and 2nd edition
How do I tell which I have when ordering a barrel ?
Thanks , Kenneth
Posted By: Craigster Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/21/22
One "edition" has a flat bolt bottom, the other a round bottom. Can't remember which is which, but that's the difference between the two "editions" .
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/21/22
If it cocks on closing, it would be take a small ring barrel.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/21/22
The first series has the flat bottom bolt. The barrel thread on both models is 0.980" X 12 threads per inch.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/21/22
If the bottom of the bolt face is flat, it's a 93. Definitely Small ring.
Posted By: iskra Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/21/22
Within parameters of the "Spanish Mauser" subject matter genre:

'IF' you're very, very lucky your rifle will be a Spanish Mauser Model 1893, made in Germany. See exemplar pix below.

IF you're very, very unlucky, it will be about any other 'within genre' mauser pattern rifle made in Spain... And great condolences.

Just definite take!
Good Luck!
John

Attached picture R11-7U.jpg
Attached picture R11-5.jpg
Attached picture R11-15.jpg
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/22/22
Haven’t had it out in a spell , but pretty sure it’s Spanish
I think OVIEDO is crested on top of receiver
Not sure I spelled that right
If I choose to rebarrel , I have a cantilever weaver styled base I was considering having receiver D&T
For .
It’s already been D&T for a rear sight , but buck horn sights don’t work well with my eyes anymore.

Thanks for all the replies
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The first series has the flat bottom bolt. The barrel thread on both models is 0.980" X 12 threads per inch.

Ok , 1st or 2nd really doesn’t matter when ordering barrel
Just receiver .
That’s what I’m hearing , is that correct?
Guess before I get involved I need to search brass availability.

Really don’t need a caliber I don’t have components for , but thought it would be cool to get up running again

Kenneth
Posted By: Craigster Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/22/22
The Oviedos are not held in high regards by a lot of the Mauser groupies. They're not as bad as they will lead you to believe. Brass isn't all that hard to come by.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/73072
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/22/22
Quick way to tell which is which. Flat bottom on the bolt, it's an 1893. Could also be a 1916 which is based in the 93 Mauser. Round bolt is the 1895.

Most people question the strength of these rifles but I think most are strong enough. I think the biggest problem is that handle escaping gas poorly. Have a blown primer, case head separation or a cracked case and things just might be a tad exciting. I load for the 7x57 but am using modern rifles with modern actions. If I were to build a sporter based on a 93 or 95 Mauser I'd most likely to use mid level data for my hand loads. FWIW, I run 7-08 data in my M70 Featherweight and Ruger #1A with not problems whatsoever. I would not use loads of that level in a 93/95 Mauser. Probably never have a problem but body parts are not replaceable. When I come to think of it, current factory level loads would work just fine 90% of the time when I do a hunt. The 145 Winchester load shoots quite well in my M70 and the 175 gr. Federal loads is a tack driver in the #1. Problem is I don't hunt deer very much anymore and I like my hotter level loads for elk.
Paul B.
Posted By: iskra Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/23/22
My understanding with the Spanish Mausers made in Spain is not one of catastrophic failure as of the "Low Number Springfield '03 rifles alleged, but one of excess headspace over time due to soft steel as "bolt setback" in battery over time. Considering the age of about all. A century of 'use' as more than sufficient for substantial setback. From there, repairs of course possible but almost surely prohibitive. Yes, I am prejudiced against them. I'm sure there are some 'good' and worthy ones. The downside is in most 'not good', well used, and just losing proposition as any real investment! The 7mm chambering yet the most viable. Those converted to the 308 Win chambering playing with cartridge pressures attained as destructive of a rifle never intended for such service mandates.
I'd rather be the grumpy old man pessimist if to dissuade any investment in time, finances or in extreme, 'body parts'! smile
Over decades of availability, I've seen some of these rifles seductively 'gussied-up'. To me, just keep your eye 'on the ball'!
Finally, the aside that I have a Spanish Model 43 98 Mauser which is quite decent looking. Belying the rough as a cob action cycling. Beauty is, as beauty does!
My take!
Best!
John
Posted By: Craigster Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by iskra
Those converted to the 308 Win chambering playing with cartridge pressures attained as destructive of a rifle never intended for such service mandates.

They were not converted to use the 7.61x51 (308 Win) NATO round. They were "converted" to use the Spanish 7.62x51 CETME round. Big difference between the two. Using NATO ammo in CETME chambered rifles may not be a good idea.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/24/22
I handloaded my grandson's Spanish CETME Mauser to .300 Savage specs- - - - -worked very well!
Posted By: Jericho Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/24/22
Brownells used to supply after market small ring Mauser barrels in a few different calibers, but not anymore
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/25/22
Thanks to all who shared their knowledge
iskra set off a memory I need to revisit
Seems the last time I shot it, I saw a slight ring maybe a third of way up from case head
I knew that was a sign of headspace problems , but if I remember right , seems I didn’t see it on all cases.
But pulling on memories that long ago these days is iffy
So , since this is fresh on my mind I will see if I got a few rds stashed back to run through it
Just to have a look see at brass
That would indeed close the book if that proves to be the case
Probably some cor lokt somewhere
Kenneth
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Spanish 95 ? - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by Jericho
Brownells used to supply after market small ring Mauser barrels in a few different calibers, but not anymore

Those Brownell's barrels were made by Green Mountain- - - -ditto for the "Adams & Bennett" barrels sold by Midway USA.
© 24hourcampfire