Home
Posted By: Model70Fan Nice looking .358 win - 01/08/23
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/963949899
Posted By: TeeBone Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/08/23
Mexican 1910 perhaps?
Posted By: Sniggly Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/08/23
There's some delicate treatment of the stock trimming right where the bolt release is located. See how it trails away down towards the grip cap? That...is a very fine design element. Not overdone.
Posted By: Jkob Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/08/23
Poor job on the bolt handle,
Originally Posted by Jkob

In what regard? Where it's welded and how?...or the angle of the bolt?
Posted By: z1r Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/08/23
Originally Posted by Sniggly

Welding on bolts handles is as much an art as it is the actual welding. The welding itself is something many are capable of doing a good job of, the aesthetics however are are all too often beyond the grasp of the weldor.
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Sniggly

Welding on bolts handles is as much an art as it is the actual welding. The welding itself is something many are capable of doing a good job of, the aesthetics however are are all too often beyond the grasp of the weldor.

This is most true...
Posted By: Model70Fan Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/08/23
I thought it looked like a well designed piece
Posted By: iskra Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/09/23
I just glanced at this. Narrative postulating perhaps Spanish had me moving away smartly! There's the FN .257 next to it, to me no comparison as if interested to go for the Roberts. A stock surely can be a pretty face but the real steel heart & soul are the 'what's up front that counts'!
Just my take!
Best!
John
Posted By: z1r Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/10/23
Originally Posted by iskra
I just glanced at this. Narrative postulating perhaps Spanish had me moving away smartly! There's the FN .257 next to it, to me no comparison as if interested to go for the Roberts. A stock surely can be a pretty face but the real steel heart & soul are the 'what's up front that counts'!
Just my take!
Best!
John

You should know that Spain never made a SR 98. The left side wall is a dead giveaway as to origins.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/10/23
I’d prefer either of the two FNs he’s selling. You can depend on them to function properly. The .358? Maybe, maybe not.

Nice stuff for certain. Guy must be getting old, divorced, or married; maybe all three!😛
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/10/23
With enough of the crest showing past the scope mount it should be identifiable. Also, if I were dropping upwards of a grand on it I would ask the seller what the crest is and to pull the mount and look if necessary.

The bolt handle turns me off anyway. Shouldn't have to grind half of it away to clear a scope.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’d prefer either of the two FNs he’s selling. You can depend on them to function properly. The .358? Maybe, maybe not.

Nice stuff for certain. Guy must be getting old, divorced, or married; maybe all three!😛

He's only got one FN, the .257. The other "Commercial" Mauser is a WWI Kar98, originally in 8x57 so, it may or may not feed 7x57. In any event, it is less desirable than the Mexican Mauser the OP was interested in.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/10/23
You’re right. I just glanced at that one briefly.
For once, I agree with John that the sleeper in that bunch is the FN 257 Bob. Original FN Barreled action, restocked. The .358 Win is nice, a fair price, but feeding should be verified.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/12/23
That doubled up in a hurry.
Posted By: Model70Fan Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/12/23
Yeah, I placed a bid for $800 and the next day said what was I thinking and I was winning for a few days and was kicking myself in the ass lol until yesterday someone went to $805. Thank goodness
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/12/23
Looks like it ended at $1612 and change.
Posted By: Model70Fan Re: Nice looking .358 win - 01/13/23
Yeah, I guess I shouldn’t have been worried a bit lol
Posted By: M1Riflenut Re: Nice looking .358 win - 02/04/23
Nice one. You can easily tell when a "sporterized" milsurp rifle was done by a professional vs Bubba.
© 24hourcampfire