Home
Posted By: kk alaska Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
My bud bought 3 rifles and 1 shotgun from a local hobby smith that was moving he did all the metal work and wood work sorry I was to late to buy!
30 40 Krag
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Beautiful rifle.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Lordy, that's nice!!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Nicely done! Love the case colored magazine
Posted By: Joe Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Wow, that's lovely!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Very nice piece!
Posted By: deflave Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Awesome.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Damn !
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Bud also bought a an early Marlin 22 LR 1920,s 39, a over under 8x57 and a shotgun all with the same quality of work, he would only work on his own guns, amazing work and very modest. I asked my bud to name me in his will on the 30 40 perfect fit and balance.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Very nice.
Posted By: ClayBelt Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
That krag tightens some cloth
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23

I've never seen one in person. I did remember they are known for a very smooth action... I've never been interested in one till now cool

I wonder how many hours of work went into that?
Posted By: iskra Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Beautiful Krag, that O/P edition! I particularly like the shallow classy-classic pistol grip angle and the ramp front!
I Like the Krag lines. I have a half dozen and of those only one original. It's just a '98 rifle, but great shape! Most of mine are home crafted sporters. One not. Below my 'handsome' gal and my 'era typical'. Something nifty, maybe gratifying about holding a Krag in your hands! Bit short stock for my comfortable shooting (as many rifles) but the mild 30-40 round avoids problems.
Thanks for posting your svelte sporter!

Best!
John

Attached picture R91-2.jpg
Attached picture R91-3.jpg
Attached picture R91-7U.jpg
Attached picture R73 - 1U.jpg
Attached picture R73 - 5.jpg
Posted By: Craigster Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
Quite nice indeed !
Posted By: hanco Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/20/23
I had an original years ago, traded it off like a dummy
Posted By: Jericho Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/21/23
Very nice looking Krag. TY for sharing
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/21/23
That's a pretty rifle
Posted By: viking Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/21/23
Sweet
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/21/23
Outstanding work!
Posted By: MikeS Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/21/23
Beautiful work. A Krag sporter like that is on my bucket list!
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/21/23
beautiful rifle!!!!

ya gotta luv Krags!!!!

1st Krag
[video:flash][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/video]

2nd Krag
[video:flash][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/video]

3rd and 4th Krag actions
[video:yahoo][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/video]
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/21/23
More examples of his work

8x57 my bud bought he also included a German scope and mounts that he made for it
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/22/23
Absolutely the best looking Krag that I've ever seen
Posted By: LouisB Re: Very Nice Krag - 06/22/23
Beautiful pieces, both they are!
Posted By: Marshal_Dillon Re: Very Nice Krag - 07/01/23
Simply gorgeous!!! Wow!
Posted By: Beard Re: Very Nice Krag - 07/31/23
My dad had one of those with the long barrel. He didn't like new whizz-bang cartridges. He always got his deer with one shot. Gave it to one of my Marine nephews. It has a good home. I gave that boy a 1917 Enfield 30-06 to go with it.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Very Nice Krag - 08/07/23
Wow! That is gorgeous. Beautifully done, bet it shoots very well. 👍👍
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Very Nice Krag - 08/07/23
i love the krag! i've got a 1898 carbine i believe its a cut down because it has the springfield 03 front sight
Posted By: JR00001 Re: Very Nice Krag - 01/18/24
Very nicely done Sporterized, case coloring is amazing
Posted By: iskra Re: Very Nice Krag - 01/19/24
That a beaut of a Krag sporter. I particularly like the shallow pistol grip typically of quality bolt rifles of earlier eras! All very nice. And that said, to admit my prejudice...

My name is John and I've been "Krag Free", for... Well a long time!" Clarifying as, "acquisition free". I still have my 'stash', of course! Krag sporters for me were a 'habit' for some decades for principally couple of dumb reasons. First, as price point! Quite decent "simple sporterized - as "doing most with least" specimens were cheap. Second modifications were more 'of pattern', such which seldom included offensive scope holes or recoil pads. The genre typically had carbine length chopped barrels and Springfield '03 type forward band-sight. Original aft barrel sights or differing simply iron sight equipment. And that, pretty much 'it'! In my earlier collecting eras, about rock bottom prices and three to four decades ago, such selling as truck guns, average of $50-$60. Last, some special "connect" feelings for the folks that bought these as govt surplus dirt cheap. Humble sporter conversions, to hunting, defense and recreational guns of early Twentieth Century era owners... Or such to conjure.

Of course too, my own exception to my rule of utility genre! My "novel" Krag deluxe sporter. Pretty creative! Few pix submitted here as a "play it again Sam", vision in Fire Forums!

Thanks for a nifty Thread here in contexts of a road seldom traveled!
Best!
John

Attached picture R91-2U.jpg
Attached picture R91-3.jpg
Attached picture R91-7U.jpg
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Very Nice Krag - 01/19/24
Iskra, Dost thou have an "NRA Sporter", actually I think a Benicia Arsenal cutdown done for DCM back in the 1920's?
If so, I am curious as to the length of wood forward of the front band. And did they come with top handguard.
One of my '98 Krags is supposedly an NRA...but I doubt it. No top wood, short 2" stub in front of the bbl band.
Posted By: Chris80 Re: Very Nice Krag - 01/20/24
Great Rifle
Posted By: Txtrout Re: Very Nice Krag - 02/03/24
I've never been interested in a Krag till now. And that double 8x57 is also outstanding!
© 24hourcampfire