Home
Posted By: Jim2914 1917 Enfield questions - 07/25/23
1917 Enfield does anyone know why the barrel has this cut in it?
Marking on the wood?

Thanks
Jim

Attached picture IMG_3202.png
Attached picture IMG_3191.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_3198.jpeg
Posted By: blairvt Re: 1917 Enfield questions - 07/25/23
rack number and acceptance stamp in the stock. Don't know what happened to the barrel
Posted By: AH64guy Re: 1917 Enfield questions - 07/25/23
Could be a barrel sold as surplus - a majority of the durable goods sold as surplus were supposed to be “cut up” or welded to render it as scrap metal. The cut is over the Ordnance bomb which makes me think it was surplus.

Some depots did a better job scrapping than others - the CMP drill rifles were good examples of the mix of the application of the standard.

Some were cut, some were tack welded, and some looked like my high school shop project (more weld is better - right) - a number the drill rifle receivers were recovered from these.

Your barrel also could have just had brief run-in with the depot shop machinery at some point.

The 12 is probably a rack number, the letters on the left are the Arsenal or Depot that inspected, rebuilt, OR did the recertification of its condition.

I can’t pull the picture detail up - but it looks like “3GM-K” as the depot. Fort George G. Meade Depot did have some 1917, but that’s about as much as I know.
Posted By: iskra Re: 1917 Enfield questions - 07/26/23
Does barrel nomenclature date+, match the SN production listing & Mfg? Far as that "miscellaneous cut" more like a marking, if you don't identify a source, I'd not be concerned with it at all! From the 'keyhole peep show', it looks quite decent!
Just my take!
Best!
John
© 24hourcampfire