Home
Posted By: 338reddog Rem 03A3 - 09/12/23
Picked up a sporterized this weekend at a local gun show. Gun is in a Ramline stock with a pad replacement( bad job). The trigger has been replaced (not sure on make) and the sights are a Williams rear and a ramp sight that appears to have been soldered in place. The action has not been has not been drilled. Price $125.00
I have always wanted a 03 modified into a hunting rifle. I had a friend with a custom and thought it to be a very fine hunting rifle.
I for some reason think I may put this back to original. Would the cost about $700 plus labor be a bad investment.
Parts are available on auction sites and maybe found elsewhere for less.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/12/23
For the same $825 - you could probably buy one complete in similar original condition.

I'm not against parting one together, but it's generally more expensive in the end - than finding a decent shooter grade in the same condition.

IMHO, the hardest task will be removing and covering up the silver solder on the barrel - you'll probably need to replace the barrel, or live some discoloration at the muzzle.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/12/23
I was figuring on a barrel replacement.
Seen a 43 new in wrap. This is a 42 best I can tell.
Maybe just drill and tap this one and dress it up some
Posted By: Cascade Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/12/23
Nothing wrong with having a pair of Springfields, one set up for hunting and one original:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From your description of the rifle, I think it would be best to keep it as a sporter, and seek out a nice original as well.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/13/23
I’ve got a Bishop (?) wood sporter stock for it, if that will help make your decision easier.
Posted By: captjohn Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/13/23
Don't trash can the ramline I know a guy for that at the right price.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/13/23
Can you send me a picture of the stock?
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/13/23
I will keep that in mind
Posted By: iskra Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/13/23
AH 64 guy & related responses plus one!

Believe you got a great "shooter" buy, but... just seeming most knowledgeable folks wouldn't consider such as "restoration candidate". Moreover, unless exceptional, very many quality milsurp moved to sporters in their 'after-life', nowadays achieving category of "pity guns". Viewed only as the lament of "what they might have remained". Functional "shooter or parts gun" valuation largely beyond radar as 'only otherwise focused'.

I've acquired one such '03A3. Even less restorable as paying about double as yours. Technically capable Smith Corona, clean 6 groove barrel, '06 shooter. Yet strongly too, a short-list 'Christmas tree commercial components' adorning! "Price as sum of parts!" Minty Lyman 48 receiver sight, Canjar Trigger, Redfield hooded front sight, '03 forged - nicely blued bottom metal & Fajen stock with recraft possibilities. Negatives as over-buffed blue, and "dongle" aspect low-scope bolt handle. Cumulatively balanced, value beyond shooter.

Point here, a category of "originality irretrievably lost" milsurps, moved to viewpoint as "Pity Pieces". The sort many folks nowadays gaze at, totally disregarding positive attributes, quality design, workmanship, etc. Rather, only focus to lament of what's beyond resuscitation! Bubba'fied as fine original piece forever ruined! Half a century views moved from "milsurp sporter pole of hopes potential" to pole of "DOA." Such milsurp sporter prices to remain "depressed" and as bargains for largely as-is shooters. Leaving 'it' at just 'that'!

Just my take!
Best!
John
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Can you send me a picture of the stock?

If that was at me - I sent you a PM
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/14/23
Thanks
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Rem 03A3 - 09/14/23
In full military dress and fair -good condition 03/03a3 around here start at 850 bucks and up as condition increases. Not really guns you want to use hard. On the other hand those bubba'ed sporters people did kept their freezers full of venison and families fed. As that generation passes and their survivoirs sell dad or uncles old klunk bubba sporterised 03 or 03a3 my opportunity is at hand. 125 to 300 bucks buys them.. I like them you can't find a more reliable bolt action 30-06 that is American made to answer the call of freedom and eventually be repurposed by the same generation for their own use. No I don't understand people who can't or won't understand that. It is American as it can get..Mb
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Rem 03A3 - 10/05/23
I sure can understand it. I always wanted a sporting 03 or A3.
But I also understand I see fewer and fewer of decent ones around. My thought is if its not to much trouble to restore it to original why not put it back if that makes me happy
I cant understand why that would make it not understandable. Choice is as American as it gets!!
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Rem 03A3 - 10/30/23
When I was a teen, I lusted for a big game rifle in 270 or 30-06. Had a Sav 1899 in 250-3000 that was working just fine, but wanted something with a scope, a long range rifle !. Money was tite when I was 17 yrs old, but found an affordable Remington 03-A3 that a guy started to sporterize, but lost interest. He had the barrel cut and crowned, a Bishop semi inletted stock, (not finished or fit ), and that was about it. I got the stock fit , but was short on money to have it d& t'd for a scope mount. I was able to afford a set of Williams sights that a local gunsmith installed for me. Figured this was the way to go at the time , considering it was more expensive to have to buy a mount, a decent scope, bend bolt, and labor.
I was always fond of hunting that rifle , but had only killed one deer, and a few coyotes with it . A good friend ended up buying it from me, he had a scope mounted, and was somewhat successful with it.
Mind you , that was 55 years ago, and later on was able to fill that niche several times over , having purchased many centerfire big game rifles with decent scopes.
Speed up to the present time , ( like a month ago ). I am on a fishing trip with with the same good friend , and he asked if I wanted to put some of his guns on my table at an upcoming gun show. I told him sure, and what ever happened to that 03-A3 i sold you 55 yrs ago ? He stated that was one he wanted to sell. He loaned it to a friend, and got it back after the guy passed away. I couldnt hardly believe it when he got it out of the safe. It was a pile of rust, and the stock looked as if it was drug behind a truck. He told me thats how he got it back, and that I could just keep it.
Thought of trying to sell it, but then decided it would be a good project ( again) !
So I started with the stock, actually took my grinder and took alot of wood off of it, then sanding for hours, and some coats of Tru-oil. The metal I was able to re-furbish using different grits of emery cloth.
Didnt have any cold blue, but alot of browning solution. Heated the barreled action in the BBQ, and put on several coats of the browning.
All in all, pretty happy with the end results, might hunt it again !

Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rem 03A3 - 10/30/23
Nice job!
Thanks ! Still need to work on floor plate /trigger guard.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Rem 03A3 - 10/30/23
How's the bore? When your buddy told you he loaned it and it came back trashed is exactly why I don't loan guns. Mb
Bore looks ok, no rust .
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Rem 03A3 - 10/30/23
Well done. And a very cool story. I have a couple rifles I refinished and then friends wanted to buy them that I wish I hadn't sold... hopefully I don't have to wait 55 years to get them back... but better late than never!
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Rem 03A3 - 11/04/23
Originally Posted by kenster99
Bore looks ok, no rust .
Ken are you setting up in Nampa next week?
I think your buddy was interested in my Ruger no 1?
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Rem 03A3 - 11/04/23
338reddog, wont be doing Nampa, but will be doing the Lewiston show in a couple of weeks .
Yeah, I think he wanted the no.1 300 mag .
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Rem 03A3 - 11/04/23
I still have it. I dont plan on doing Nampa this time either.
Posted By: Sabretooth Re: Rem 03A3 - 11/09/23
That looks good!! Glad you were able to refurbish it- those actions are getting more and more scarce. They are out there, but to find one if great condition in full working order is getting more difficult!
Posted By: MileHighShooter Re: Rem 03A3 - 11/15/23
I've got at least 8-10 1903 sporters in my shop at the moment, from basic affordable just-go-hunt riflesto some really well done customs. They're starting to pour put out of collections lately. If people have always wanted a 1903 sporter, nows a great time
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Rem 03A3 - 12/16/23
where is the like button? really nice!
© 24hourcampfire