Home
Posted By: David_Walter 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/08/19
I have a chance to buy or trade into this rifle at a pretty reasonable price.

It's in 257 Roberts, and is cock-on-close.

How hard is it to covert these to cock on open?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: szihn Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/08/19
Pretty Easy.
Brownells sell the kits. made by Dayton Traister I believe. The kits come with easy to follow instructions.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/08/19
Thanks!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/08/19

Some pics of my ‘95 Chilean 7x57 were posted in the Image Gallery on 29 Jan.
I kinda like the cock-on-close and wouldn’t think of changing it.
Check for bolt setback.
Posted By: Owl Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/08/19
That is some handsome wood on that old girl
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/09/19
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Some pics of my ‘95 Chilean 7x57 were posted in the Image Gallery on 29 Jan.
I kinda like the cock-on-close and wouldn’t think of changing it.
Check for bolt setback.

The Dayton Traistor COO triggers on some individual rifles are an absolute cinch to install and some are a real pain requiring quite a bit of fine fitting.

There is a reason they went to COO and virtually everyone prefers the COC. Kids and women, in particular, prefer the COO.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/09/19
I had a cock on close Mauser and I never ever felt disadvantaged or unhappy with it. I used it a lot too, almost exclusively for 15 years.

Just buy it!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/09/19
What sort of trigger and safety does it have on it?

I've worked on a bunch of Swedish Mauser upgrades for myself and my Norwegian bachelor farmer friend. When I do anything with a pre-1898 style SR Mausers, I always do three things:

1. Installed the Dayton-Traiser COO kit.
2. install a commercial style bolt shroud with a bigger gas shield.
3. Install a Bold or Timney trigger.

Since military Mausers were made in many different countries, there is some variability in dimensional specs. One that has dogged me when installing the D-T COO kit is that the inside diameter of the bolt bodies is variable enough to cause the firing pin spring to drag on some, but not on others. If your bolt body has minimum inside diameter, you might need to buy a smaller diameter spring from Brownells.

IMO, the Sweds made the best SR military Mausers and those made for Chile by DWM are a close second. I'm 100% suspect of those made in Spain and think that those made in Mexico are hit and miss quality wise.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/09/19
I'v owned several 95 Chileans and still own one. All of them worked fine with no modifications to the action. YMMV but if the price and condition are right and I wanted another 95 Mauser I'd buy it and use it as is. Good looking rifle.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/09/19
I've picked a couple of those up from the rack at the LGS and whacked myself with the flying bolt because I wasn't thinking. Might learn someday, but time is running out!

Looks like a nice one. I'd swap the one-piece base out for two-piece, if available, and if they drilled two holes in the rear

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 05/09/19
That's good info. Thanks.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 06/07/19
David,
That's a nice rifle.
Thinking of buying a stock military example.
Posted By: powdr Re: 1895 Chilean Mauser - 06/14/19
I've have a '94 Brazilian in 250Ackley w/everything you can do to one. COO, 2 position Win safety, Timney, and FN bolt. I also have my Dad's '95 in 7x57 that is sporterized but no COO. They both work great and have been excellent hunting rifles. I've also built a 338Federal and 338-284 on the small thread Turk actions. Both were good shooters. The Turks are real sleepers...especially if you want to re-thread a bastard barrel to one of them. powdr
© 24hourcampfire