Home
Posted By: MadMooner Bottom metal - 06/17/19
Anybody make a decent hinged unit that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I keep seeing some fairly cheap aluminum units with a "goat" head engraved. Not my cup o tea.

Steel would be fine.

Crazy how much some of those units go for!
Posted By: gunscrew Re: Bottom metal - 06/17/19
I have 2 or 3 in the white that will have to be polished and blued might sell one for 125.00
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Bottom metal - 06/17/19
I'd love to see them. Shoot me a pic if you could, pls.
Posted By: gunscrew Re: Bottom metal - 06/21/19
forgot all about this, I can send you a picture through email , or phone if you want to pm an address.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Bottom metal - 06/21/19
Get a copy of "Do It Yourself Gunsmithing" by JIm Carmichael. He's got a chapter on making your own hinged floorplate from a regular Mauser military magazine/floorplate/trigger guard assembly. I've done a couple of them that way and it isn't too difficult.
Jerry
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Bottom metal - 06/21/19
SARCO $70

GPC $86

I have not used either one; caveat emptor.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Bottom metal - 06/21/19
Those are leftovers form the Parker-Hale shutdown. There are also a bunch of investment cast P-H receivers available from varoius places, some which use Mauser bolts and others which use a bolt from an 03 Springfield. Since they need to be finish machined and heat treated, they're "non-gun" paperweights, not serial numbered and not subject to NFA rules. I've got about 15 of them stashed away and I've made up a few lathe fixtures to do the finish machining, barrel shank threading, etc. Any machinist worthy of the name can turn one of them into a very nice custom rifle.
Jerry
© 24hourcampfire