Home
Posted By: leebotx What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/21/19
I have a rescue DWM 1909, matching bolt with no pitting and a useable bore. It appears to be a Cavalry length barrel with original sights that was put in a decent sporter stock.
I haven't shot it yet, but expect it to be acceptably accurate given the issue iron sights.
Is there much hope of finding a correct stock and other parts to restore it to the original configuration, or should I just use it as the donor for a 7x57 patterned after an Oberndorf B or a Rigby Highland Stalker?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/21/19
I would put the odds of finding a complete 1909 DWM cavalry carbine stock with all the parts is closer to none than it is to slim.

If it was mine, I go with the 7x57 in whatever style you prefer.
Posted By: papat Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/21/19
Build and enjoy!!
Posted By: Hook Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/22/19
Originally Posted by leebotx
or use it as the donor for a 7x57 patterned after an Oberndorf B or a Rigby Highland Stalker?

How could you possibly top that!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/22/19
Ditto.
Posted By: leebotx Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/22/19
Any gunsmith recommendations?
Wish I had that "problem"!
Posted By: WTF Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/25/19
Original 09 carbine stocks are not that hard to find. They come up from time to time.
Posted By: leebotx Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/25/19
This barreled action is just too nice to tear apart, thanks for the heads up WTF.
I just rebarreled one to 6.5 X 55 for a customer. Original barrel was badly pitted. I was already sporterized with a stock that had a McSwirly style pattern. It feeds the Swede cartridges' without problems. Made a nice conversion for is wife.
Posted By: z1r Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/26/19
Originally Posted by WTF
Original 09 carbine stocks are not that hard to find. They come up from time to time.

This is one of those situations where you have to be clear what you want. Even if you find an original stock and all the barrel band, etc., you end up with a carbine that isn't original. It is representative. Often, that's good enough if you are after a shooter grade representation of a 1909 carbine. Typically these pieced together examples cost more than what they'll fetch in the market place. Generally, I'd prefer to buy an original not a pieced together example.

On the other hand, customizing a 1909 isn't inexpensive either.

The last two 1909's I had became an 8x60 and a .376 Steyr.
Posted By: WTF Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/27/19
The value only figures in if the firearm is to be sold, otherwise it matters not.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/28/19
The first thing I would do with it would be to have it checked for lug setback. If none and I were having it barreled to a higher pressure round I would consider having it re-carburized.
Posted By: WTF Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/28/19
Originally Posted by 22WRF
The first thing I would do with it would be to have it checked for lug setback. If none and I were having it barreled to a higher pressure round I would consider having it re-carburized.

This is a good idea, but it sounds like he is putting it back into military dress.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 08/28/19
I used one and went the Rigby Highland Stalker route and cou;ldn't be more pleased with the outcome.
If the bore is useable, test fire it and see. Nothing wrong with the 7.65.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: What to do with a 1909 ? - 09/16/19
I'd contact Boyds stocks to see if they have the stock pattern you are looking for. No, it won't be exactly original but I really like the Mauser carbines and if you can rescue it, you be da man.

kwg
© 24hourcampfire