Home
I have not purchased an otherwise very nice, classically built, vintage, M98 Mauser actioned sporting rifle. What halted the acquisition was a substantial dovetail cut in the receiver ring to secure a claw mount base. I was leary of the potential compromise in the structural integrity of the ring.

I've seen a number of Mausers that used dove tail cuts into the receiver ring to secure a claw mount base so I have to assume that the method is safe enough, at least for the pressures common for the times they were built.

Still, I know that I would have been apprehensive every time I shot the rifle so the purchase was not made.

Thoughts?

I have 4 rifles with claw mount dovetails cut in the front receiver ring. Like you, I felt some unease upon seeing how deep and wide the cuts were, but over the years I've gotten comfortable with it. One rifle is an early Mannlicher Schoenauer '06, and the other is a Sauer 9.3x62. The '06, liked perky loads, so I gave it what it liked. Over a period of years, I checked the front ring with a dye penetrant kit I have, and was unable to detect any flaws and annually I checked the locking lug bearing surfaces, again, no apparent set back. The beautiful old Sauer was loaded mild to duplicate RWS factory 286 gr loads...mostly because I have lost interest in dealing with recoil. Never tried MD's RL-15 barn burner load, with the stock drop and steel buttplate on my rifle, which would probably be...memorable.
Does anybody know of a documented account of a receiver failing at a scope base dovetail?

I have a '03 MS which is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot, owing in part to the scope set in a receiver dovetail. I don't hot rod it, and it is wonderful to shoot... clover leafs with the right load (which wasn't hard to find).
© 24hourcampfire