Home
I am looking to purchase a Mauser in 30/06. I’m looking for a durable 30/06 and have been told the mauser is the rifle to get. So with a budget of 1K - what mauser model or mfg should I look for??? Thanks.

I also prefer iron sights over optics.
Look for a nice J C Higgins Model 50.
What he says, or a Zastava m70.
Both Mauser designs, European made, and considerably less than $1k
These will fit your requirements.
JC Higgins FN Mauser.

If the stock is cracked at the wrist, and they sometimes are, drop it into a Boyds laminate, or a McMillan, depending on your budget.

Simple and effective, and you will have a rifle that will last a lifetime if you take care of it.
Another option is the Tikka/Ithica LSA 65. 30-06.

It was imported by Ithica, built by Tikka.

Exceptionally accurate rifles, Bofors steel barrels.

Made before Sako took over Tikka.

Superbly ergonomic stocks,

Here is mine:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mine shoots 155 Scenars into little tiny groups.
Here ya go

https://www.cabelas.com/product/interarms-whitworth-commercial-mauser-by-zastava-30-06/3394302.uts?Ntk=GunLibrary&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DGunLibrary%26Ntt%3Dzastava%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dzastava%26searchTypeByFilter%3DGunLibrary%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=zastava
DrDeath,

I will put in a vote for Husqvarna 1600/1640 actioned rifle. They are a well made machine, and .30-06 is probably the most common caliber they come up for sale in. They can be found reasonably priced and generally always have iron sights and a side sliding safety. Almost all of the 1600/1640 actioned rifles are drilled and tapped for receiver sights as well if you prefer that route. Different variations of barrel length and stock configuration can be found. Older Husqvarna models used Belgian FN actions too if you are looking for older with a flag safety. My two cents worth.

Good luck to you,
sixfive
"Older Husqvarna models used Belgian FN actions too if you are looking for older with a flag safety. My two cents worth."

A well spent two cents too. I have one of the Husqvarna M640s with the flag safety. It's no big deal to convert them to the FN style and only takes a minute or two to so it. I just have a barreled action so am still looking for a stock for it. I'm looking for the style they used on their "Husky" model although may just go with a McMillan. Whoever had the action before me put a Timney trigger on the gun.

I'll also second the motion on the J.C. Higgins M50. Some people think the stock is a bit clubby, and that's so for a person with small hands. The nice thing is one can remove enough wood making the rifle have a better feel. I have several, two all original and two, one having the stock slimmed down and the other restocked in a European style to go with the 7x57 chambering. They do have kind of a strange trigger set up but they've never given me a problem A couple of mine have Timney triggers installed but two are still strictly stock.

I also have a few customs on military Mauser actions. I like Mausers.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by Craigster

A fine rifle as is or a fine action for the basis for a custom rifle down the road if that bug bites.
My advice,

Don't do it! Turn off your computer for 3 weeks, take medicine. run away, it's a sickness!!

You'll be bitten by the disease when you hear, see and feel that beautiful action at work.

You can do it easier and cheaper with other actions

Mike
You are going to be spoiled. After shooting Mauser action rifles, I got my first controlled feed Winchester Model 70 and was very disappointed. I felt like I was holding a cheap imitation. It works and I know people love them, but it's not a Mauser.
Another vote for one of the good ol’ Husqvarnas that are out there! No nonsense hunting rifle.
FN Mausers are my favorite action.
For a grand you should be able to find an FN Deluxe or even a somewhat worn Browning.
Bottom line is, just about any COMMERCIAL (no thummy cutty) Mauser 98 would work well for you. I have both a Husqvarna and a Higgins, very fond of them both with a slight edge to the Husq because it's so no-nonsense. No frills at all, but the stock is actually cast off -- that's a "shooter" kind of thing.
Or a Remington 798, Chas Daly, or anything else on a Mark X commercial action.
You'll have plenty of cash left over.
This is nice!!!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/846086798 Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!
I suggest an original FN. Should be found under $1k. My 30-06.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Originally Posted by DrDeath
This is nice!!!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/846086798 Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!

And a nice price too.
The market is too soft now for those sheckels.
Originally Posted by EdM
I suggest an original FN. Should be found under $1k. My 30-06.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Those FN and Browning guns may be some of the best bargains out there, considering what you get.

DF
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Craigster

A fine rifle as is or a fine action for the basis for a custom rifle down the road if that bug bites.

They do make good donors. But, don't shoot the donor... May shoot too good to part out... blush

Here's a link to my HVA project. Sort of a special type Mauser but a good one.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8948791/1

This 338-06 started life as a J.C. Higgins FN Mauser.

DF

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This 338-06 started life as a J.C. Higgins FN Mauser.

DF

Nice rifle, that one.

This is my JC Higgins enroute to being a 275 Rigby.

Looking good. I like what you're doing, look forward to seeing the finished product.

Unique bases and great metal work.

DF
Looking good. I like what you're doing, look forward to seeing the finished product.

Unique bases and great metal work.

DF

^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
My advice,

Don't do it! Turn off your computer for 3 weeks, take medicine. run away, it's a sickness!!

You'll be bitten by the disease when you hear, see and feel that beautiful action at work.

You can do it easier and cheaper with other actions

Mike

This is the absolute truth!!!!! Death of a thousand cuts is just around the corner.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a 1909 Argentine (marked "Berlin") Mauser. Many wonderful custom guns have been built up on this action, and many have been rebarreled to 30-06. You can get into one for ~$400 in good condition with basic wood... use the budget balance to upgrade the stock.

Here is an example of one. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838073328
If the bore is good (ask the seller), probably the first two things I would do is shorten and recrown the barrel and install some medium height base-and-rings with a decent scope. If it shoots to your liking, put the next dollar into a blue job and start shopping for a stock.
I'd go for an interarms Mark X as the least expensive starter mauser. Solid, accurate, require zero modification, and can be found for $300-$400 ready to go.

Especially since the word has gotten out about the "sleeper" FNs, I think interarms are the best value on the market
Originally Posted by MTDan
I'd go for an interarms Mark X as the least expensive starter mauser. Solid, accurate, require zero modification, and can be found for $300-$400 ready to go.

Especially since the word has gotten out about the "sleeper" FNs, I think interarms are the best value on the market

They can be a bit rough, but with some work with abrasives, they can be slicked up pretty smooth. Of course, keep the abrasive off the lugs...

Cheaper than tackling a military action. Those are nice, but be ready to spend a good bit of money, more than the the cost of a Mark X.

And sleeper J.C. Higgins FN's are still out there... Those FN's are gonna be slicker than a Mark X.

DF
When you say sleeper FN’s or hard to get FN’s are you talking about the Browning made FNs
Or commercial FN Mausers?
I was referring to the store brand guns (JC Higgins, Wards Western Field, etc) as these used to often sell for less given the perception of a "Sears rifle" as a lower quality piece.

I guess I've never experienced any excessive roughness in the MK X. I think it's because they don't have 50 plus years of break-in like most FNs do

I fully agree.
When you say sleeper FN’s or hard to get FN’s are you talking about the Browning made FNs

FN's and their Browning equivalents are more expensive than the J.C.Penny FN's but you generally get much better fit and finish. I think those guns are a good buy even at a grand or so.

A J.C.Penny FN is still an FN. Those guns have in the past sold for less than the value of the action. Maybe they've been "discovered", but I don't think by everyone. Deals are still out here, just gotta find them. I agree that generally they cost more today than a few years back. I've read that the barrels were fitted by Hi Standard, some were chrome line and they are generally pretty accurate, sometimes too accurate to part them out for a build.

So, if you get one for a donor, DON'T shoot it... blush

grin

DF
I was referring to the store brand guns (JC Higgins, Wards Western Field, etc) as these used to often sell for less given the perception of a "Sears rifle" as a lower quality piece.

I guess I've never experienced any excessive roughness in the MK X. I think it's because they don't have 50 plus years of break-in like most FNs do

Every action should be judged on its own merit. Yes, the sleeper FN's can be a great deal, but then so can the Mk X actions. Each have their pluses and minuses.

I had a brand new, in the box, FN Commercial in 7mm Rem that wouldn't feed at all. Beautiful rifle but if it won't feed it's [bleep].

I agree that the Commercial actions are the ones to look for, at least for those wanting to build a Mauser but not committed to a full blown custom on a milsurp style action. For the average consumer, the Commercial is already scope friendly, already has a 3.400" mag box and is set up to feed '06 length cartridges. These days the number of GOOD milsurp 98's has dwindled and the costs to recontour the rear bridge, drill and tap, and weld on a scope friendly bolt handle can add up to more than a rifle based on a commercial action can be acquired for.

Be advised that unlike the Sears JC Higgins, a good many of the Westernfield rifles were built on Zastava 98 actions (Mk X) or the Zastava supplied commercial intermediate actions (often sold as Heym) . So, inspect before you buy, don't assume automatically that a Westernfield Mauser rifle is built on an FN action.
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a 1909 Argentine (marked "Berlin") Mauser. Many wonderful custom guns have been built up on this action, and many have been rebarreled to 30-06. You can get into one for ~$400 in good condition with basic wood... use the budget balance to upgrade the stock.

If the bore is good (ask the seller), probably the first two things I would do is shorten and recrown the barrel and install some medium height base-and-rings with a decent scope. If it shoots to your liking, put the next dollar into a blue job and start shopping for a stock.

I have one of those that is now a .280 Remington. work by Lawson in Tucson and stock by Sterling Davenport. a 24" barrel and will push 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams (old 2 core style) into .75" all day long at 2910 FPS. I've been told it's too pretty to take hunting. It wasn't built for just lookin' at.
Paul B.

One reason that no one may have suggested the 1909 is that the OP's post made it sound like he wanted a turn key .30-06 Mauser. Responses were geared toward that assumption.

If the OP would have indicated that he wanted to BUILD a custom Mauser, I might have suggested a 1909 depending on his budget.

I would never recommend an inexperienced Mauser aficionado buy a sporterized Mauser to start their custom build on. Why? because all too often, they are not correctly drilled and tapped. Hole placement can be off, they can be off center or canted. A novice would not typically know how to correctly identify if these modifications were performed correctly and can trip up even more experienced owners if they are not diligent. In fact, this example you provide does a wonderful job of illustrating this danger. The scope base holes on the front ring are located too far back. The rear hole is drilled through the lug web or worse, through the face of the lug seat. A buyer would be pissing away $329 on this one and others similarly modified. Buyer beware!

Generally, much better for a prospective first time Mauser owner to buy an unmolested Commercial Mauser or an unmolested Milsurp action if they plan on commissioning a custom rifle. Too easy to get misled by the promise of savings "because most of the work has already been done" when all too often that work was done incorrectly.

A nice custom rifle built by a reputable builder can be a good alternative and often a bargain if the styling suits your tastes.
Originally Posted by PJGunner

I have one of those that is now a .280 Remington. work by Lawson in Tucson and stock by Sterling Davenport. a 24" barrel and will push 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams (old 2 core style) into .75" all day long at 2910 FPS. I've been told it's too pretty to take hunting. It wasn't built for just lookin' at.
Paul B.

There's a world of difference between your Sterling Davenport rifle and the one offered on Gunbroker. I doubt yours has the scope base holes drilled in the wrong place as that rifle does.
Originally Posted by z1r

Every action should be judged on its own merit. Yes, the sleeper FN's can be a great deal, but then so can the Mk X actions. Each have their pluses and minuses.

I had a brand new, in the box, FN Commercial in 7mm Rem that wouldn't feed at all. Beautiful rifle but if it won't feed it's [bleep].

I agree that the Commercial actions are the ones to look for, at least for those wanting to build a Mauser but not committed to a full blown custom on a milsurp style action. For the average consumer, the Commercial is already scope friendly, already has a 3.400" mag box and is set up to feed '06 length cartridges. These days the number of GOOD milsurp 98's has dwindled and the costs to recontour the rear bridge, drill and tap, and weld on a scope friendly bolt handle can add up to more than a rifle based on a commercial action can be acquired for.

Be advised that unlike the Sears JC Higgins, a good many of the Westernfield rifles were built on Zastava 98 actions (Mk X) or the Zastava supplied commercial intermediate actions (often sold as Heym) . So, inspect before you buy, don't assume automatically that a Westernfield Mauser rifle is built on an FN action.

Seems to be pretty common on GB these days for almost any commercial Mauser to be tagged as an FN, whether by ignorance or design- who knows?

FN's and their Browning equivalents are more expensive than the J.C.Penny FN's but you generally get much better fit and finish. I think those guns are a good buy even at a grand or so.

A J.C.Penny FN is still an FN. Those guns have in the past sold for less than the value of the action. Maybe they've been "discovered", but I don't think by everyone. Deals are still out here, just gotta find them. I agree that generally they cost more today than a few years back. I've read that the barrels were fitted by Hi Standard, some were chrome line and they are generally pretty accurate, sometimes too accurate to part them out for a build.

So, if you get one for a donor, DON'T shoot it... blush

grin

DF

Prices are all over the place. A year ago I bought an FN Husky with a good Lyman 4x for $375. Was looking today and you could find about any price imaginable. Still think an FN Deluxe is a great buy in a ready to go.
In the past this place has had some good deals but not much selection right now:

https://simpsonltd.com/new-long-guns/
Originally Posted by z1r

One reason that no one may have suggested the 1909 is that the OP's post made it sound like he wanted a turn key .30-06 Mauser. Responses were geared toward that assumption.

If the OP would have indicated that he wanted to BUILD a custom Mauser, I might have suggested a 1909 depending on his budget.

I would never recommend an inexperienced Mauser aficionado buy a sporterized Mauser to start their custom build on. Why? because all too often, they are not correctly drilled and tapped. Hole placement can be off, they can be off center or canted. A novice would not typically know how to correctly identify if these modifications were performed correctly and can trip up even more experienced owners if they are not diligent. In fact, this example you provide does a wonderful job of illustrating this danger. The scope base holes on the front ring are located too far back. The rear hole is drilled through the lug web or worse, through the face of the lug seat. A buyer would be pissing away $329 on this one and others similarly modified. Buyer beware!

Generally, much better for a prospective first time Mauser owner to buy an unmolested Commercial Mauser or an unmolested Milsurp action if they plan on commissioning a custom rifle. Too easy to get misled by the promise of savings "because most of the work has already been done" when all too often that work was done incorrectly.

A nice custom rifle built by a reputable builder can be a good alternative and often a bargain if the styling suits your tastes.

Your observation of the mal-location of the base holes might be correct, or not. Hard to say without more photos, or maybe you have X-ray laptop? Also the OP said he preferred iron sights anyway. Based on that preference likely resulting in an undrilled receiver, you'd still opine against a '09?
The holes in that front ring ARE too far back. By your own statement, that 09 needs some work.
It's inferred by the OP's post that he knows nothing about Mausers and wants advice on a turn key one in 30/06 with iron sights.

Your observation of the mal-location of the base holes might be correct, or not. Hard to say without more photos, or maybe you have X-ray laptop? ?

No, my observation is correct. The hole placement is wrong. Not at all hard to see.

I've built plenty of Rifles on the 1909. As I stated previously, every action needs to be evaluated on its current condition.

Truth is, you can buy a complete FN or Mk X, or other commercial 98 with sights for roughly the same as a GOOD 1909 action alone will cost. 1K for a "Custom" build isn't much. A better approach would be to buy commercial or buy a nice used custom built along the lines you prefer. Starting from scratch it would be hard to build a nice custom for $1000. As evidenced by the GB 1909, all too often starting a build with a previously "customized", and I use that term very loosely, action is a loosing proposition.
One for sale here:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5451078981/m/7451061552

Yup, that's a worthy one to consider. I've had more than a few over the years. The sights work and you can add a receiver sight as well. Mike is a good guy so no worries there. FWIW, my youngest son outgrew the 6.5x55 I built him, so he just selected a JC Higgins 50 in .270 out of my safe as his replacement. Kid has good taste.
Lots of good suggestions. Also suggest doing some serious gunshop prowling. Lots of nice customs have been done over past 70yrs, owners pass on, they end up there, need a home. Unlike online, you can check fit, function, condition at your leisure.

I found two weeks ago an old Paul Jaeger custom ‘06, “near new” on a sako action, nice clean stock, with a leup compact 6x for 1k. It’d been in the rack for shy of a year and i couldn’t stand it any longer.

Lots out there, ready to run.
Edit: ok, so mine wasn’t a mauser, but see lots of them, similar quality, condition, etc
I've got 09's, FN's, VZ24's all ready to go; new straddle f'plate, triggers, two or three position safeties, D&T, new bolt handles, etc, etc. get me an email if you are interested: [email protected]
IF PM is more appropriate Jim no problem but what is the price you charge for a straddle floorplate for a Mauser 98? Specifically, a Husky 146.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by sixfive
DrDeath,

I will put in a vote for Husqvarna 1600/1640 actioned rifle. They are a well made machine, and .30-06 is probably the most common caliber they come up for sale in. They can be found reasonably priced and generally always have iron sights and a side sliding safety. Almost all of the 1600/1640 actioned rifles are drilled and tapped for receiver sights as well if you prefer that route. Different variations of barrel length and stock configuration can be found. Older Husqvarna models used Belgian FN actions too if you are looking for older with a flag safety. My two cents worth.

Good luck to you,
sixfive

This. Nice huskies sell for 450 to 600! I have one, very accurate. A Remington 798 is another option, sell for about the same money!
Mine started as a Higgins 50 off of gunbroker, came in a Tupperware stick, with a 4x Leupold mounted and a Timney trigger. I bought a Higgins 51 stock on the classifieds here, have less than $450 in it ready to hunt. The plan was to make it into a 6.5x55, but, I shot the donor....[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
What is the general Campfire member's opinion of the Santa Fe action? I have several FN and Mark X Mausers and one unmarked 98 that I think may be a Santa Fe. It is smooth and functions fine.
Some people fault them for being soft.
Santa Fe/Golden State Arms were a seller of sporterized surplus firearms. If the action is a 98 and is scrubbed, it's anybody's guess which breed of wartime 98 it is.
Golden State Arms sold Santa Fe models built on both Milsurp 98 and Commercial 98 Actions. The Commercial 98 variants used the same action as used by Parker Hale. The Milsurp based models were sold as bargain basement models and used a brazed on bolt handle. While serviceable, they are nothing to write home about and corners were cut wherever possible. The Commercial action based rifles were nicer, stocks not as fancy, but otherwise about on par with the Parker Hale models. The Milsurp models, as has been said, could be built on any number of 98 variants.
© 24hourcampfire