Home
Broke out the No4 Mk2 to show my son. I guess I sold my No1 Mk3.....can't find it. Never had a Webley revolver, but always wanted one.

So now I'm going through the C&R safe. Swede's, Finn's, 03 and 03A3, M1 Garands and Carbines, and the 1917. Even broke out a few handguns.

I need to take a few to the range next time and let my son shoot them.

The movie is definitely a "must-see" on the big screen. It was amazing with a few unexpected twists and turns. My son already wants to watch it again. LOL.

Great stuff. Love the WWII hardware.

Plan to see that movie soon.
I can't believe I got rid of my No 1 Mk 3. That's really what I wanted to show him.

The Swede carbine I have was made in 1903 and just a work of art. Beautiful rifles.

And the US 1917 is a tank. We definitely need to shoot that one.

The Finn 39's are also amazing.
Yeah, those movies do it to me too. I had a couple Garands back in the 80's and "grew" away from them. The next day after "Private Ryan" I was shopping for another one. "Dunkirk" had me looking for a No.1MkIII to replace the last one I got rid of 15 years ago. (Still haven't found the "right" one, but I'm still looking.) I suspect "1917" will accelerate that search. Going to try and see it tomorrow, probably solo as the GF isn't at all keen about it.
My wife really liked it.

I think all young people need to see it to make them realize the sacrifice.
Watched "1917" this past Monday afternoon and now I regret selling that nice Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk 3 last Sept. at auction. Always liked that gun and enjoyed shooting it. Felt a connection to those as my paternal grandfather spent 17 months in France back in 1917- 1918 with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps.. I retired a few years ago and now the collection is getting thinned out. The movie was good and in the credits at the end they even listed the armorers. Wish I could take out the old No.1 again but at least I still have a nice #4 mk 1 that won't be going anyplace soon.
Guess I'll have to conceal carry the 455 (made in 1915) to the theater this weekend when the family goes to see it.
I haven’t seen 1917 yet but really want to while it’s on the big screen.

My brother gave me a Dunkirk DVD for Christmas. I’m going to watch it next week while driving the couch post-surgery. Band of Brothers is also on deck. I won’t have any military firearms to cuddle with though. frown
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Except it's a WWI movie.
I watched it last night it was just OK
I went to see it with my wife a short while ago.
We both “liked” the movie but we also felt it was missing something. Not sure what but somewhat lacking.
Les
I've always wanted a MkIII SMLE., but I need one like an elephant needs roller skates.
Originally Posted by ScottBrad
Guess I'll have to conceal carry the 455 (made in 1915) to the theater this weekend when the family goes to see it.

So you can stand up and shoot those dirty Germans on the screen
I liked the movie. Great story of honor and heroism. It was like a WWI version of Saving Pvt Ryan.
being a mil surp collector, i have examples of american, german, russian arms of that period.
i also have a p 08 luger artillery and some regular p 08's,
the artillery was at the battle of the somme.
the smith and wesson tripple lock was at the somme too.
the man whose name is engraved on the butt is buried at freicourt cemetery.
he was a member of the tenth scottish highlanders.
the luger and the smith share company where they are kept.
have a enfield from 1917 too, immaculate condition for some reason.
i have never shot it, never will. and never thought of it this way, but after the movie it's probably worth a few bucks.
The movie motivated me to want a Lee Enfield finally in life... military furniture on it, and that loooong bayonet...

I had a 455 Webley given to me, but that was back in the 90s and since I didn't have anything to load it with, I gave it to
an older Veteran that wanted it....It was given to me so I gave it to him....
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

4 of us watched it same reaction
Originally Posted by Seafire
The movie motivated me to want a Lee Enfield finally in life... military furniture on it, and that loooong bayonet...

I had a 455 Webley given to me, but that was back in the 90s and since I didn't have anything to load it with, I gave it to
an older Veteran that wanted it....It was given to me so I gave it to him....

enfields are an acquired taste i think. for a long time i thought they were crude ugly weapons.
until i started thinking straight and realized how good they can be.
a friend of mine in bavaria who shoots hi power, in addition to being a sniper with the wermacht, said they are prefered over the mauser for accuracy. they can be fitted easily with small, medium, or long stocks, had a bolt where it's easy to adjust head space off the bolt, are very quick cycling, and in some cases have parker hale sights.
the problem is if it is one is finding one that hasn't been shot out, but has a good barrel, you will find them all over the place.
few years ago a bunch of savage produced enfields, made here, but never sent to england as the war was winding down hit the market.
they are essientially new rifles if you can find one.
great shooters.
some would say the sniper version was probably the best rifle of WWII. they were customized by top end rifle makers like holland and holland for that sniper role.
Originally Posted by chris_c

4 of us watched it same reaction

Me too. I saw it yesterday.
Yep, great cinematography but the story was lacking.

Originally Posted by tmitch

Bingo
Originally Posted by fremont

Originally Posted by tmitch

Bingo

Double-Bingo

Plan to see that movie soon.

Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Except it's a WWI movie.

Typing error
Dude should have done a tactical reload a time or two was waiting on him to click no bang a time or two!!!

Way better movie than everything on the previews laugh

Mike
Originally Posted by 257heaven
My wife really liked it.

I think all young people need to see it to make them realize the sacrifice.

I haven't sen it yet but intend to. But if you want a brush with history don't look to a "Hollywood tale." I'm not sure those writers really understand what they are writing about. If you want a brush with history then you need to get closer to the source than any Hollywood screen writer could ever imagine. Take a look at the following trailer and then try telling me that anything else could come closer to putting you "back in the day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds
Originally Posted by S99VG

I haven't seen it yet but intend to. But if you want a brush with history don't look to a "Hollywood tale." I'm not sure those writers really understand what they are writing about. If you want a brush with history then you need to get closer to the source than any Hollywood screen writer could ever imagine. Take a look at the following trailer and then try telling me that anything else could come closer to putting you "back in the day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds

I saw that one, in 3D at the theater. Stunning.
© 24hourcampfire