Home
Posted By: mrchongo Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/05/20
Here's one that I'm really looking forward to shooting this summer. I can't for the life of me figure out who the barrel-maker or gunsmith is whose signature is in this photo. Does anyone have a clue for me?

[Linked Image]

Here are a few more pics:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SS336 Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/05/20
Don't have a clue on the maker, but it looks like a nice rifle. What length is the barrel? Looks pretty handy.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/06/20
Makers don't sign junk. That is a nice rifle. You can shoot some pointy bullets out of that one and get some better performance.
Posted By: T Bone Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/06/20
I have no clue on that signature stamp, but looks to be well finished!
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by SS336
Don't have a clue on the maker, but it looks like a nice rifle. What length is the barrel? Looks pretty handy.

Barrel is 22”. That mother is so beefy! I’m glad they didn’t go 24”; I’d have to get my grandson to pack it for me! I haven’t measured the twist yet, though.
Posted By: T Bone Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/07/20
Please let me know how it shoots!

The earlier post showing my newly found full stock 45-70 sports a 20" barrel. I ordered some ammo, but it hasn't even shipped yet....
That's a Siamese action isn't it?
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/09/20
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
That's a Siamese action isn't it?

I haven’t seen the top of the receiver. It came with the scope bases installed.
Obviously military with the thumb cut, but only a short s/n as far as visible stamping.
Reminds me of the Spanish Mauser because it’s very plain, but I do not know anything for certain.
Posted By: xausa Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/23/20
The bottom metal indicates that it is a slant box Siamese action. The shape of the bottom metal is the same as the bottom metal Oberndorf used on the slant box magazines they built for Rigby.
Posted By: DocEd Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/23/20
The Siamese had a sliding "dust cover" on the action to keep the loading port covered. It was retained by small "rails" on the sides of the action. It also had 2 holes, one behind and one in front of the loading port. In the picture it looks as if the rear hole was filled prior to blueing.
i have been collecting and shooting 45-70 since 1958 when my oldest brother gave me a trapdoor Springfield for Christmas. in those years i have collected many mausers converted to 45/70. They all have been Siamese Mausers. just too much to do to a 98 etc.
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Another Mauser in .45-70 - 05/24/20
Wow, guys, I really appreciate the education I’m getting. Thanks!
© 24hourcampfire