Home
Posted By: dale06 Storage of empty hulls - 01/21/21

Is there an issue with storing various plastic hulls in large trash bags in my attic. It will get to around 0 degrees a few days in the winter, and I suppose up to high 90s a few days in the summer. They will be dry and all once fired b
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Storage of empty hulls - 01/22/21
Should be fine at those temps
Posted By: hanco Re: Storage of empty hulls - 09/20/21
I store mine in bags in old ice chests.
Posted By: FWP Re: Storage of empty hulls - 09/20/21
I store some in 5 gallon buckets and plastic bags in an outdoor shed. I have not had any problems yet.
Posted By: Viper225 Re: Storage of empty hulls - 01/02/23
I have two plastic trash cans with lids under my bench. One for STS Hulls and the other for the Cheaper Remington hulls.

Lots of folks store them in trash bags, I would think that would work fine.

Bob R
Posted By: johna1 Re: Storage of empty hulls - 01/02/23
I've stored them in plastic trash bags for years. In the basement. It doesn't get really wet or damp or humid down there.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Storage of empty hulls - 01/03/23
I use plastic storage bins with the snap closed lids, most are kept in the garage. Hot in summer, cold in winter. Just be sure they are not cold when reloading them.
Posted By: pullit Re: Storage of empty hulls - 01/06/23
Originally Posted by GF1
I use plastic storage bins with the snap closed lids, most are kept in the garage. Hot in summer, cold in winter. Just be sure they are not cold when reloading them.

I do the same but my garage is in my basement so it never sees extreme heat or cold
This is a two year old thread but as it has resurfaced, a concern regarding the use of plastic bags is that they can be torn if slid across the floor. That can make a mess of things.

Like others have mentioned, I use plastic bins because they are much less likely to tear and mice are less inclined to chew through and set up housekeeping in the stash. Bins also stack much easier and their square shape allows more efficient packing. I use 25 gallon bins for 12 ga as I load a lot of them and that is the largest size I can move easily in a confined space. I have one bin for Winchester AA, one for Remington STS and Gun Club, one for Reifenhauser hulls. 16 and 20 ga utilize a 15 gal bin separated into Win/Rem and Reifenhauser hulls. 28 ga is a pair of 10 gal bins and 410 is also 2 bins, with one for 2.5" hulls - Win AA loose inside with Reifenhauses kept in Ziplocks and the other for 3" hulls with AA loose and Reifenhausers in Ziplocks.
© 24hourcampfire