Home
do you have to load your own tss shells or can you buy them already made?
Apex Ammunition makes them at ~ $10/shell.
dang i was looking for some for coyote and fox hunting but dang i hate to see what a box would cost
Originally Posted by jonboy900
dang i was looking for some for coyote and fox hunting but dang i hate to see what a box would cost

There'd be better options out there for you for fox and coyote rather than sending $10 downrange every time you pull the trigger.

I think Federal and possibly Remington made some TSS shotshells, but I don't think it's pure Tungsten like Apex uses. One of the more knowledgeable members will be along shortly to expand on this.
cool i was just looking into them becuse i heard the have better rang then buckshot
TSS will cost you about $3/ounce for the shot if you roll your own. It will pattern better than any buckshot or lead BB load on the market at longer range and will do it with less load development, patterning or investments in chokes. Buy your shot from someone like Hal that will give you load data. It is good stuff. For coyotes you'll want #3 or #4. Threes will have about 65+/- pellets per ounce.
Originally Posted by Hal4son
TSS will cost you about $3/ounce for the shot if you roll your own. It will pattern better than any buckshot or lead BB load on the market at longer range and will do it with less load development, patterning or investments in chokes. Buy your shot from someone like Hal that will give you load data. It is good stuff. For coyotes you'll want #3 or #4. Threes will have about 65+/- pellets per ounce.

cool do you have any contact info for him? also do you have to have any specile tools? frist time i heard of it was on a podcast that talked about loading it by hand insted of a lot of tools
Hal Abbott
Email: [email protected]
phone: 919-662-8138
alt. message board: http://www.tungstensupershots.com/index.php
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/super18tungste ... =bookmarks

You will need a scale. You will likely need a roll crimper.
cool thank you
If shooting predators, I'd suspect you're shooting more than a couple times a year like most turkey hunters. Way more economical to roll your own.

A decent scale and a roll crimper for a hand drill is all you really need. Of course components.

As said, you're still looking at a few bucks a shot. But the pattern and energy is unmatched. For predator hunting, it'd probably be awesome and effective range would be extended greatly. Guys kill deer and pigsbat pretty crazy ranges with fairly small shot.
thanks guys i have heard of guy shooting deer and pigs with them but foxs and more so coyotes are the problem around here. so anyone know any good books or youtub vidoes that can walk you down the steps?
If you're going to load without a press, you should buy new primed hulls. (A lot of TSS recipes call for new hulls).
Weigh and drop powder charge.
Add wad - I usually use a screwdriver to seat the wad firmly on the powder.
Add any felt or other filler wads into the base of the wad if they are called for.
Weigh and drop shot charge.
Add overshot card.
Roll crimp.

If you put "loading TSS" in the youtube search, it'll come up with a ton of videos.
cool thank you
I roll my own. Back when I started, that was the only way to get it. Now there are several companies that sell loaded shells.
Dave Owens, who makes the Pinhoti Project hunting videos, has one on how he rolls his turkey loads. Might pick up a trick or two from him. Looks like he uses a minimum of fancy tools.

I’ve spent a bunch on TSS turkey loads this year, as I’m patterning and sighting in. Should be good for the duration (my duration anyway) now. If you decide to buy, Apex loads are awesome.
No, but you'll get more consistent performance if you do.
Originally Posted by Hal4son
Hal Abbott
Email: [email protected]
phone: 919-662-8138
alt. message board: http://www.tungstensupershots.com/index.php
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/super18tungste ... =bookmarks

You will need a scale. You will likely need a roll crimper.

Hal is the man on TSS. He's professional to deal with, too. That's more than can be said about most.
Reloader7RM here on this site sales TSS and is very helpful.
Just saw this thread. I started using TSS shot to load my own .410 shells. The difference between “regular” factory loads and the TSS loads is stunning. I have used them for upland pheasants only. Number nine shot....lots of little pellets acting like bigger pellets. Pattern density improved over larger shot as well as range. My farthest was a hen at 40 yards going away.
I have always wanted to reload my own. I will check into what you all said above, thanks!
Hal only lives 30 minutes from me….loaded up some 20 ga while back at his place. He got the TSS shot and will set you up on all components you need. He the one that got all started on TSS and his work is first class. You owe it to yourself to get his advice if you going down that reloading path. Dave Owens mentioned Hal in his videos on reloading turkey loads. He the best and you can take that from experience.
Have a contact that sells the same 18-18.5g shot for a lot less then the big names. 40-42.00 a pound.
I’ve got a video on YouTube on how to load it. I’ve been loading my own TSS for 10 years.

As I understand it, TSS etc, is slowly becoming available in 16 gauge. That's okay, because I'm not buying that overpriced garbage anyway.
If I can't get 'em close enough to kill with lead, I'll give them the win and try again tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about advanced technologies, but I'm not paying $15/shell when an entire box of lead ammo is $15!
But that's just me! I'm an old tightwad!

....and I don't have a 16 gauge loader! LOL!

EDIT:
Just went online and found this!

Our 10 GA - 3 1/2" Magnum TTS turkey loads send 880 #9 pellets down range with documented killing power out to 80+ yards with the right shotgun, scope/sight and choke combination!

ONLY $74.99 for a box if 5!

I guess the question should be, "Just how badly do you want to kill a turkey?"!
Been loading my own TSS for the past 11 years. The initial buy in will cost ya, but after that the shot at 40.00 a pound is the most expensive part. Finding ding the components has become a challenge tho.

Bud of mine loaded up some TSS 4s and 5s, he has been smashing the coyotes with them.
The main reason I keep reloading them is that I control everything about what goes into the shell.
Back when I shot Factory Hevi 13 shells, they changed wads and components several times. You would have a shell that patterned great and the next box would shoot like crap. I found the wads from the 2 shells and they were nothing alike.
I ask Hevi about it at the NWTF show and they said they did not change anything until I showed them the two different wads, at that point they would not say anything else.
That is when I started rolling my own
© 24hourcampfire