Home
So, here in the Rebublik of Kalifornia, Governor Moonbeam signed legislation for lead ammunition restrictions that are fully implemented this season - 2019. Basically, that means no more lead for hunting birds in Kali this year. That sucks, because I love to hunt California quail. No more 7.5 or 8 shot lead allowed for the little b@stards.

This has lead to a couple of things:

1] I have shotguns now that I can only use with bismuth. Bottom line: if I want to hunt with them in Kali anymore, I need to get up on handloading bismuth.

2] I have been forced to see the light on tungsten shot, and I don't know what is more eye-popping, the price for TSS and its variants, or the apparently much increased lethality. I guess I'll find out this year.

3] I may be getting into a new shotgun or two here pretty soon. It looks like with TSS, the sub gauges have a lot to offer.

It's going to be a "different" hunting season around here ...
Once you have a shotgun that handles them, #6 or #7 steel will probably work well for you, they do for me on mourning dove. My hunting pard has successfully killed them with a 28 ga and a 20 is even better. He even tried steel in a .410, but decided that was a little too little. shocked

Ballistic Products is your friend and start them fast.
OR you can leave the Republic................
I'm surprised I haven't see a post on someone breaking a tooth when biting down on that stuff.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I'm surprised I haven't see a post on someone breaking a tooth when biting down on that stuff.

Lead shot hurts too.
Bought some of the newly packaged Kent Bismuth that comes in 25 round boxes instead of the older 10 pack.

Not cheap but I don’t want to shoot steel in my older guns. I’m hoping more companies start to make ammo for us poor slobs in Ca.
We are forced to shoot steel 6's on Crows before Nov 1 here. Crows have to be close.

I would pattern the shotguns for use with steel, IF you are on a budget. $5 a shot is way out of line for dove hunting.
I've had no trouble killing most birds of all sorts with steel shot started fast.

The Kent Bismuth is pretty good stuff, use one size larger than lead IMO.

TSS is a game changer in every way, but the expense is so high it makes me cringe any time I miss (which is often!).
© 24hourcampfire