Home
Posted By: RickBin 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 09/19/19
Hi Guys:

Would like any and all opinions on these patterns. (Apologies for poor iPhone pics). This is HW15 #7s, 1 oz (221 pellets), and BPI lists this load at a smoking 1700 fps. Unfortunately my Labradar does not detect shotgun charges, so I cannot verify velocity, but I think it's safe to say these are smoking fast. These are for pheasant. CONSEP says 90-95 pellets required at X range.

[Linked Image]
IC, 20 yards, 226 pellets in.

[Linked Image]
IC, 30 yards, 218 pellets in, 4 out.

[Linked Image]
IC, 40 yards, 201 pellets in, 20 out. 91% pattern @ 40 yds.

Whatcha think?
Looks fantastic! Test it at 50 yards too, might as well know what to expect.

But also, a 25 yard test would probably be smart, given that most of your shots will be closer than farther.
Not gonna be anything left to eat! Those are some dense patterns, they should knock those ringnecks for a loop.
Good patterns, you going to try any larger shot?
Too bad your Labradar wasn't able to record the charge, it would have been interesting to see how optimistic Kurt was on the velocity. If you get the chance, a pressure reading would be interesting too. In the past, Kurt has been a little optimistic there at times. Some of his data has been enlightening.

Those patterns are far too dense for my purposes when chasing pheasants. Even at 40 yards that load would be putting far too many pellets in the bird if centered and the edges look a little thin if not centered. That looks like an interesting load for diving ducks from a shore blind but I would prefer much more open patterns at the much closer ranges pheasants are shot.
Posted By: RickBin Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 09/21/19
Interesting. Well here are another two of the same load choked Cylnder that I didn’t post before because I ran out of butcher paper and am missing the 40-yd pattern.

Attached picture 58FCBBE5-F24D-4059-9A56-AC38F9CE9E21.jpeg

Description: 30 yards. Cylinder choke.
Attached picture 744259EE-69DD-4294-A875-92888F7F2DAF.jpeg
Posted By: 30338 Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 09/23/19
For me I think that is too much of a good thing. I'd for sure go up in pellet size to try and reduce the number of pellets in the bird. I hunt over a pointing dog and just don't need that tight of patterns I guess, even on wild flushers.
Posted By: RickBin Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 09/24/19
Got some more patterning done this weekend.

Let me get this organized now, first CYL, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards, then IMP CYL, same ranges.

[Linked Image]
20 YARDS - CYLINDER

[Linked Image]
30 YARDS - CYLINDER

[Linked Image]
40 YARDS - CYLINDER

[Linked Image]
50 YARDS - CYLINDER

[Linked Image]
20 YARDS - IMP CYL

[Linked Image]
30 YARDS - IMP CYL

[Linked Image]
40 YARDS - IMP CYL

[Linked Image]
50 YARDS - IMP CYL

Appreciate all input.
Really liking the CYL patterns. That's going to be a wicked load.

Just as an FYI, don't go up in pellet size as the patterns will get tighter. This is not comparable to lead.
Posted By: RickBin Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 09/25/19
Thanks for the input. I think I can live with the CYL patterns, but I ordered a Skeet 1 choke to try to split the difference between the CYL and IC. We'll see what effect it has.

Gonna put up some 28 ga patterns here next. #11s.

I may have some #9s around too. smile
Rick- Even your Cylinder choke is too tight for your 30yd and under patterns for pheasant. I believe that Carlson or Trulock make "negative " spreader choke tubes which are over the barrel bore size. I'd love to see these patterns repeated with chokes 10 and 20 thousandths over bore. This load would be well suited for a twin barrel shotgun, especially for pheasant. A spreader tube in one barrel, the IC or Skeet2 (Light Modified) the other, and I want to see 60 and 70yd patterns. That would be an incredibly adaptable short and long range shotgun.
Posted By: LFC Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 11/24/22
Rick with patterns like that are the pheasants going to be fit to eat ?
Looks like my 70 yard Dove load has been found.
Posted By: glosto Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 12/03/22
Make good Trap loads.
Thanks for posting Rick. That’s a lot of work to put that many on paper.
Those must have been made by a dentist.

Those are incredibly dense patterns. Should not have to worry about runners.
Posted By: Halvin Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 11/24/23
Which BPI load is this?
Posted By: RickBin Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 11/25/23
Load N10765

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load11_18_19.htm
You are very dedicated to pattern HW15, that's getting pricey.

Have you shot anything with that load?
Posted By: MOGC Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 01/07/24
I can't imagine why you're taking the jolt of a 1700 fps load when shooting TSS at a 40-yard pheasant. That extra velocity isn't doing anything positive for you except making you slower on the second shot and knocking your dental fillings loose.
Posted By: RickBin Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 03/10/24
Originally Posted by MOGC
I can't imagine why you're taking the jolt of a 1700 fps load when shooting TSS at a 40-yard pheasant. That extra velocity isn't doing anything positive for you except making you slower on the second shot and knocking your dental fillings loose.

Update:

Tripled up on geese (Ross’) with this load at, oh, 35 yards (before the flare).

Guide was leery of #7s, but the geese were mighty convinced.

Even at (claimed) 1700 fps, recoil was much less than the 3-inch #2 steel at 1500 fps I had been shooting.

My typical late-season pheasant load (for Mexico) is 1 5/8 nickel-plated 5 lead, and I know they outkick this 1 oz load as well.

Haven’t used the HW15 on pheasant yet since I haven’t hunted Mexico in a few years, but after breaking them in on geese …

These things are mean!
Spectacular patterns. Impressive.

As for a pheasant load, imo, you just found the solution to a problem that doesnt exist. At a much higher price to boot!
Posted By: DUKFVR Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Really liking the CYL patterns. That's going to be a wicked load.

Just as an FYI, don't go up in pellet size as the patterns will get tighter. This is not comparable to lead.

Same here. Like those patterns. THANKS for sharing.
Posted By: Darryle Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 03/18/24
I wonder what the velocity bleed off is, small diameter TSS, like steel sheds velocity rather quickly the faster you start it out.

We use 5/8oz #9s in our 28ga guns at 1400fps and they hammer out farther than most people should be shooting.
Posted By: RickBin Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 03/18/24
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Spectacular patterns. Impressive.

As for a pheasant load, imo, you just found the solution to a problem that doesnt exist. At a much higher price to boot!

Keep in mind, we are non-toxic statewide for all hunting. I had to find alternatives to lead. None are less expensive ..,
Posted By: RickBin Re: 1700 fps shotgun patterns! - 03/18/24
Originally Posted by Darryle
I wonder what the velocity bleed off is, small diameter TSS, like steel sheds velocity rather quickly the faster you start it out.

We use 5/8oz #9s in our 28ga guns at 1400fps and they hammer out farther than most people should be shooting.

Yep. I duplex #9 TSS/#7 steel in 20 and use similar TSS loads to you in 28, and it’s amazing what they will do if you can put them on the bird.
© 24hourcampfire