Home
Posted By: Remington40x Herter's Shell Type? - 01/02/20
Does anyone here know what kind of shell the Herter's sixteen gauge shells sold by Cabela's were? I have a number of flats of them and would like to reload them, but I can't find any information about them anywhere I've looked.

I would have guessed they were Cheddite hulls, but without knowing for sure, I'm stymied.

Thanks.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 01/02/20
Remington40x my money is on Cheddite as well.
Posted By: RegLeg Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 01/03/20
They are Cheddite hulls
Posted By: dale06 Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 01/03/20
They are cheddite hulls. .
I get a couple reloads out of them, then the crimps start splitting.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 01/03/20
Thanks.

Dale: I have three flats of them, so even if I only get two reloads out of each, that's a lot of shooting for 16 gauge side by side.

Rem
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Thanks.

Dale: I have three flats of them, so even if I only get two reloads out of each, that's a lot of shooting for 16 gauge side by side.

Rem

They are only $15.00 per 100 primed and skived. No Hazmat charge
Cheddite 16ga 2-3/4
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 01/04/20
The ones posted and others I've gotten elsewhere seem to be a bit stiffer plastic than the Herters, might be thicker if measured. I've had pretty good luck with them, but nowhere near as reloadable as the AA or Premiere type hulls.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 01/21/20
They are the best out there for cutting down to 2 9/16" and roll crimping. They load nice. MB
Posted By: FYD16 Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 03/25/20
I agree the Herters 16 hulls are Cheddite but does anyone have any experience with finding a primer that fits tight enough? I have a bunch of them that I have not tired to reload and was expecting to use Cheddite primers however.....I have recently seen a number of 12 ga. Cheddite hulls were they must have used some other Euro primer that was oversize and therefore Cheddites frequently fall out.
Euro hulls can be different.
Give the Curmudgeon a call at BPI. He will set you straight.
BPI
Posted By: Jim585 Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 04/04/20
After using Fiocchi primers, I could install Winchester primers with my thumb. I would never use those shells in a semi auto or pump. BPI does sell a tool to make the primer pocket smaller.
Posted By: towerladder Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 01/23/22
After seeing this post, was wondering if anyone could spare a box of the Herter 16 ga Pheasant #5 load. I could either pay or trade for some other new boxes i have. Would greatly appreciate it . I'm in south central Pa.
Posted By: Billewe Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 01/26/22
I have had no problem with that hull and cheddite primers. Could be the powder type or the load. Personally I'm not at all fond of longshot.
My load average out at 1248 for 1oz and with modified claybuster AA clone.
Posted By: Billewe Re: Herter's Shell Type? - 02/02/22
I don't know the age of your primers but till just a few years ago fiochi's primers came in two sizes. A 615 and a 616.
© 24hourcampfire