Home
looking for a powder that will push a 124 xtp 9mm load 1200 fps consistently and accurately. I've tried Longshot and it's all over the place. I'd prefer something flash suppressed that meters well.

Bb
BE-86 is an excellent high-energy powder that has flash suppressants in it. It meters only so-so though, as it is a flake-like powder. I've gotten to 1200 with 5" barrels using standard max load and the 124 XTP. I reach for BE-86 for the 9 if I'm not reaching for Longshot. What primers were you using? Maybe swapping primers would make a difference. I've seen only consistency out of Longshot and various 124gr bullets using CCI500's.
I was using 550's.

Bb
I've had good luck for top end 9mm 124 and 147 gr bullets using Blue Dot. With a magnum primer.
The 124 gr. +P Gold Dot load I settled on after trying many different powders was 7.1gr. of VV3N37 with a CCI 500 primer.
Very clean burning and accurate in several of my 9mm pistols. No reason it wouldn’t work with the XTP.
This load averages 1,210 fps.
There is a lot of info on the Brian Enos forum regarding major factor (+P) loading.
This load is over MAX. It works in my gun but it might not in yours. Work up carefully to your target velocity.
I played around with Longshot and got into the mid 1100s but the spread was way too wide. I then switched over to BE 86 and SD shrunk dramatically and was very consistent at 6g with cci550 and the 124 xtp at 1175 from a glock 19.

I pushed it a bit above max going for +p and went to 6.3g be86 for an avg speed of 1212 fps. Since 1212 is my birthday and phone number I considered it a good sign and stopped there. I loaded enough to take to the range to see how they group and function through 5 different 9mms. If they work well ill call it a load and start mass production. COAL was 1.075.

My long time favorite carry load was a speer 124 gold dot + p police load i got several boxes of years ago that clocked 1220 fps. I'm just trying to get close to that but with the xtp. I've found the xtp to expand a bit less but penetrate more. Should make a good all around load. Ive been pretty impressed with be86 do far. It meters well, its consistent, and has low flash.

For 40s and 10mms I still love longshot but be86 might be my new 9mm powder.

Bb

Max load of Blue Dot will make them scream and is accurate in all of my 9mm’s.
I shoot the 124g Gold Dot in several pistols.

Extreme accuracy with 7.8g of AA#7

Tweek your accuracy by varying OAL in .005 increments and you will be amazed at how such small changes will tweek a pistol's accuracy, I shoot over a simple Hoppes pistol rest. By tweeking the OAL, my Springfield XDM was turned into one heck of a 50 yard gun. Even my Taurus Millinium shoots 3/4" groups at 10 yards with this load.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I played around with Longshot and got into the mid 1100s but the spread was way too wide. I then switched over to BE 86 and SD shrunk dramatically and was very consistent at 6g with cci550 and the 124 xtp at 1175 from a glock 19.

I pushed it a bit above max going for +p and went to 6.3g be86 for an avg speed of 1212 fps. Since 1212 is my birthday and phone number I considered it a good sign and stopped there. I loaded enough to take to the range to see how they group and function through 5 different 9mms. If they work well ill call it a load and start mass production. COAL was 1.075.

My long time favorite carry load was a speer 124 gold dot + p police load i got several boxes of years ago that clocked 1220 fps. I'm just trying to get close to that but with the xtp. I've found the xtp to expand a bit less but penetrate more. Should make a good all around load. Ive been pretty impressed with be86 do far. It meters well, its consistent, and has low flash.

For 40s and 10mms I still love longshot but be86 might be my new 9mm powder.

Bb

Very nice! I hope it works well in all five 9mms for you. I'm not surprised, because I've found the same with BE-86. Great powder for me so far, but I've only tried it in 9mm.
How did you screwup Longshot?
Originally Posted by dla
How did you screwup Longshot?

I don't know why I didn't get it to work well on 9mm. I love it in 40 and 10mm and use it a lot for m8g range loads in 357, 44, and 45 colt. Its also my favorite shotgun powder for pheasant loads.

I buy longshot by the case and its one of the powders I can't go without. So far be86 has been superior for me in 9mm. I don't usually load a lot of 9mm because its generally cheap enough to buy loaded. Years ago I loaded some 9mn during a shortage and had good performance with power pistol but lots of flash. Be86 seems a lot like power pistol without the flash.

Bb
I'd try 7.9 grs of AA7, a maximum load from the Hornady manual.
6.0 grains Unique for about 1240 FPS.
Unique, BE-86, and Power Pistol all provide top accuracy and velocity.

With Unique, I charge my cases from a Uniflow with a fish tank pump and it meters well that way. Can't speak to a progressive.

BE-86 took a little load development to finally hit top accuracy. It meters well and I like it.

Power Pistol really took no load development to achieve accuracy and velocity. Meters well. Since all of my shooting is outdoors in daylight, I have never noticed the flash issues that some shooters dislike. By keeping velocity around 1100 fps, I have not found the recoil to differ from similar velocity Unique loads. FWIW, I have read that at one time the 9MM load used by the AMU was PP behind a 125gr Zero HP.

405wcf
Not sure it meets all your requirements but Power Pistol is where I’d be.
© 24hourcampfire