Home
Posted By: GregK 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 02/26/21
I'm looking for loads for a 45 Auto Rim using Hornady 230 gr XTP bullet #45160.
I have a large quantity of Hercules 2400 I'd like to use. Guns are a S&W 625-8 and TC Contender with an MGM barrel. Goal is to match Horn factory 45 ACP+P load with the same bullet.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 02/26/21
You can use 45 acp data.
Beyond that, I will be of no help. I never had need for a +P load
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 02/26/21
2400 is a bit slow for what you want. Never have used magnum powders in 45acp or auto rim.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: arkypete Re: 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 02/27/21
I've never used jacketed bullets in my S&W model 25, never saw the need. I've used Bullseye and Unique with 200-grain SWC and from an old Lyman four cavity mold a 250 gr full WC. Very accurate with either bullet.
Posted By: Uncas Re: 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 03/05/21
Borrow or buy a Speer #8 you will be amazed!

That is a terrible idea. First, it does not contain the data the OP wants (230-grain bullets). Second, it was published before Speer started using pressure testing instruments - it is WAY too hot. Once Speer started actually measuring pressure, they dropped the top load for the 200-grain jacketed bullet by 400 fps! I’d be “amazed” if shooters using the #8 data didn’t shoot their revolvers loose in a few range sessions....

The OP will not equal .45 ACP +P performance with safe loads in his revolver. When loaded to the same pressures, the ACP will produce about 100 fps higher velocity than the AR (Speer #14).

Posted By: GregK Re: 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius

The OP will not equal .45 ACP +P performance with safe loads in his revolver. When loaded to the same pressures, the ACP will produce about 100 fps higher velocity than the AR (Speer #14).

Not sure why that is, the AR case is just the 45 ACP with a rim. I've fired Hornady factory 45ACP+P 230 gr XTP (in moonclips) out of my S&W 625 and got 900 fps from the 4" barrel.

There were some loads using 2400 powder listed here which I used as a reference.
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/45-auto-rim-p

Update: I fired the Hornady factory +P 45 ACP load through my Contender barrel and, using the same XTP bullet found a reload with 2400 powder which matched that velocity within 20 fps. This load would work for deer. No over pressure signs. I have not fired it in the S&W yet.
Posted By: lotech Re: 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 03/12/21
Look at some load manuals and use .45 ACP data.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 03/12/21
Went straight to 45 Super load data in my Model of 1955 S&W, bullet weights from 230gr gold dots/fmj-fp's to 270gr cast hp's, they all run very good, btw, those full moon clips are some of the best speed loaders ever accidentally developed, same/same load data using the Starline Auto Rim brass.
Posted By: HawkI Re: 45 Auto Rim Loads wanted - 03/12/21
7 grs. Longshot, 240 Keith (the Auto Rim bullet).
NEVER use 'internet data". Always load from published loads in a manual........Hence I won't tell you what my AR load with 255 gr swc's is.
© 24hourcampfire