Home
Posted By: Muffin 357 Hollow Based Wad-Cutters - 09/13/21
If you ever wondered which way they are supposed to be loaded!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I tried loading them backwards as big hollow points in the late ‘79’s but got inconsistent results in accuracy and expansion. Sometimes I’d get some tipping of bullets on the target and sometimes the hollow base would just mash flat.
I haven’t bothered trying them again since then.
I load them bass ackwards myself. Shoot good out of a 2" .38 spl.
Had some loaded in my S&W model 28, shot a ground hog at 25 feet, made a mess and stopped him right there.
Originally Posted by leemar28
I load them bass ackwards myself. Shoot good out of a 2" .38 spl.

Yep. 👍
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I tried loading them backwards as big hollow points in the late ‘79’s but got inconsistent results in accuracy and expansion. Sometimes I’d get some tipping of bullets on the target and sometimes the hollow base would just mash flat.
I haven’t bothered trying them again since then.

My experience as well. I much prefer Hard Cast full Wad Cutters. Better penetration and accuracy too.
I messed around with those years back, and as navlav8r said, I found accuracy and expansion iffy at best. I have stayed with JHP and JSP bullets ever since
You all didn't mention any ranges. How about for spittin' distance, they work there?
Originally Posted by 5thShock
You all didn't mention any ranges. How about for spittin' distance, they work there?

Should be fine at spittin’ distance.
5thshock.... Shot mine at 25 yds. Averaged right at for 4" out of a 2" S&W Airweight.
© 24hourcampfire