Home
Posted By: IA_fog Next Dillon question - 11/20/21
So 550 or 750?
I’m wanting a progressive but dont need to load 1000 per hour lol
Want simplicity and i dont want to have to tinker with it
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Next Dillon question - 11/20/21
Very happy with my 550B. Also have a RL1050, kinda overkill for me. The 550 does everything important except for primer pocket decrimp. Don't especially need case-feed and auto-advance.

As a racetrack enthusiast said to me "speed costs money......how fast do you want to go?".
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Next Dillon question - 11/20/21
Does it come 100% setup running perfect or do you have to tinker with it? When changing calibers or primer size do you have to tinker or is it 100% plug and play?
Posted By: K1500 Re: Next Dillon question - 11/20/21
I have a 650 and am looking at getting a 550 (keeping the 650). The 650 with case feed is great for volume, but my understanding is changing primer size is kind of a pain. I think for someone who loads multiple calibers, a 550 (or better yet, two 550’s) would be the way to go. Don’t get me wrong, I live the fact that a 650/750 can crank out nearly 1,000 rounds an hour, but an easy changeover is probably more important.

I have a single stage (everyone should) to work loads up. Then I set the progressive for my volume load and leave it. If I want a couple hundred rounds with a different bullet or load, I just use the single stage. Of course, this means I have a set of dies for the single stage and another for the 650. The 550 is also easier for working up a load if you lack a single stage press.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Next Dillon question - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Does it come 100% setup running perfect or do you have to tinker with it? When changing calibers or primer size do you have to tinker or is it 100% plug and play?

The 550 does not come fully set up. But things like adjusting a powder measure, setting your sizing and seating dies, are not progressive press-specific.

Once set a 550 doesn't need adjustment unless you change components/cartridges, powder charge, bullet seating depth, etc.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Next Dillon question - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by K1500
I have a 650 and am looking at getting a 550 (keeping the 650). The 650 with case feed is great for volume, but my understanding is changing primer size is kind of a pain. I think for someone who loads multiple calibers, a 550 (or better yet, two 550’s) would be the way to go. Don’t get me wrong, I live the fact that a 650/750 can crank out nearly 1,000 rounds an hour, but an easy changeover is probably more important.

I have a single stage (everyone should) to work loads up. Then I set the progressive for my volume load and leave it. If I want a couple hundred rounds with a different bullet or load, I just use the single stage. Of course, this means I have a set of dies for the single stage and another for the 650. The 550 is also easier for working up a load if you lack a single stage press.

I've had a Dillon 550 for almost 40 years. I load all of my 6 pistol cartridges along with my .223 and .308 rifle cartridges on it. I've had a Rock Chucker press on my bench next to the 550 from before I bought the 550. I work up loads on the Rock Chucker and load all of my other rifle cartridges on it.

I have only one set of dies for each cartridge, and freely move the dies between presses because I inserted a shim under the die holder on the Rock Chucker press. A die adjusted for the 550 will have a gap between the top of the shell holder and the bottom of that die in the Rock Chucker. The shim is a 7/8" flat washer ground to the thickness of the distance between the top of the RC shell holder and the bottom of the adjusted dies from the 550.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Next Dillon question - 11/20/21
My next Dillon will be a 750. I like the auto index feature for me.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Next Dillon question - 11/25/21
never used the 550 but from advice here on the fire i went with 750 and love it like everything once you understand how it works it's a breeze the change over is very simple even the primers.

might want to you tube videos of each and see the differences
© 24hourcampfire