Home
I am thinking of reducing my handgun powders to W231/HP38 and W296/H110. I’ve been trying to use HS6, 2400, Unique and several others. But as far as I’ve found I can load everything I load with the exception of my 10mm (maybe) with these two powders.
I load for 38,357,9mm,44,45, and 10mm as far as my handgun loading.

Can I please have your options on this?
Just an opinion. Power Pistol fast end and if you want an alternative to H110 go AA9.
Yes you probably could, but I don’t see those as being the optimum powders for all the calibers. Other problem is that if you put all your eggs into one or 2 powders what happens if and when you can’t find them.
Longshot , CFE Pistol and Power Pistol I've ran in every round you mentioned.
Unique
Loading 9mm and .44 Magnum I'd pared my powder selection down to Unique and HS-6. I shoot the "Skeeter Skelton" load of 7.5gr. of Unique with 200gr. RNFP bullet a load I've shot for nearly 25 yrs. In 9mm I use both Unique and HS-6, I picked up a pound of HS-6 from a friend for $5.00 otherwise I'd be happy with Unique in the 9mm.
My loads with unique have left my guns with a sticky powder residue on them. Maybe I’m not pushing it hard enough?
W231 (or W244) & W296.

Unique is useful but too dirty with anything under near max loads.
Universal or Titegroup and H110 for the majority of those. I do not load for 10mm or .45ACP, so I don't know what to tell you about that. It is nice to have two main powders, but also a plus to have a variety of others for specialty loadings that you might want to experiment with. I use both Titegroup and Universal for .38SPL and 9mm. For .357 I use either 2400 or H110. For .44 Russian either Titegroup or Universal. .44 Mag gets either Universal, 2400, H110, or Titegroup, they all work for what I want from them. I have recently loaded some 9mm and .38SPL+P with Vihtavouri 3N37 with really good results. It should work very well with .357 also, but I have not yet tried it. Incidentally, I also load .380 ACP and .45 Colt with both Universal and Titegroup. .32 S&W Long gets either 2400 or Universal. 9mm Makarov gets Titegroup.
I using Unique and choose 2400 over H110/W296 just because I wouldn't have to stock magnum primers for ball powders.
As an afterthought Blue Dot works well in 9mm, .357, and .44 . Would probably work in the 10mm but I’ve never loaded that cartridge.
And there’s a guy around here that’ll give you low velocity loads for centerfire rifle using Blue Dot. Some day that could come in handy.
Universal and Universal
Universal for sure.It is a cleaner burning powder than all you mentioned. I prefer 2400 over H110 as I reloaded more.357 than 44mag. Plus I use it in my older 38-55 and 38-40
If I had to, I could live with HP 38 and H110. I shoot all the the op's cartridges except the 10mm.
Other choices:
AA#2 and AA#9
Red Dot and Blue Dot
Since the only handguns I load for are .32 S&W Long, .32-20, .38 Special, and .45ACP, and .45 Colt (in an old Colt New Service), I can get by just fine just Bullseye and Unique which I have a stupid amount of. There's HP-38/W-231 on the shelf too, and a pile of Clays and Universal Clays left over from a long ago shotgun addiction. I'm just an old fart with old fart-ish ideas about handgun needs! (But those powders + cast bullets allow me to punch a lot of paper and ring a lot of steel, and woe betide any two-legged predators.)
All the handgun powders I have and use are
Unique and 2400
Those 2 do everything I need to do

As far as "residue ", I have many cleaning patches

As long as the projectile does what I want, everything
else is immaterial
If I could have just 2 powders, Unique, and 296/H110 would be my choices

cdb
Only two? Damn. 2400 and Universal. Glad I have enough to last a long time. Unique also. But, OP said two.
Longshot and 296/H110 will do it all.
Universal and H110 are about all I use anymore.
unique and H110
Not if you were loading buckets of .38 wadcutter target loads and .32 Longs!
A few years ago I bought a LOT of reloading stuff. I was just getting into it and really didn’t have a mentor. I bought the powder choices that I remembered reading about. 8lbs of Bullseye, 8lbs of HS6, numerous 1lb containers of 231,2400,Unique, Lil Gun, H110, W296etc.
I’ve loaded some with all of them. I ONLY use Lil Gun in my 50 Beowulf. But my 5.0grs of 231 and a PCLRN 230gr in my 45 Glock shoots into 1 hole at 15 yards. I tried bullseye but found it to meter worse than 231 for me and was dirtier.
I know Unique is versatile, I’ve loaded it in everything I’ve loaded including 45/70 and 308 (10grs is a HOOT in both of those)
I have a supply, that can’t justify buying anymore powder right now.
I also have been given and am using some 43 year old SR7625 in my 45ammo that is working great.
Originally Posted by BKS
I am thinking of reducing my handgun powders to W231/HP38 and W296/H110. I’ve been trying to use HS6, 2400, Unique and several others. But as far as I’ve found I can load everything I load with the exception of my 10mm (maybe) with these two powders.

I use Power Pistol or Longshot for top end loads in 10 mm and 38 super.

Your HP38 is perfect for slightly reduced loads in the revolvers as well as the autopistol rounds.
I could narrow all my handguns down to one powder, for handguns,Unique.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Universal and Universal

I agree, it is very clean burning powder. Works great in some shotgun loads as well. I'd also add Longshot or Power Pistol to that list as well. Unique is also a great powder, but it burns dirty..
Not powders I use much of so I just gotta say , if you can get away with it and be happy I don't know a reason not to . I could live with Unique and 2400 or H110 if I had to but I would not like it .

To be happy loading handgun I need and keep on hand :
Unique
Red Dot
H110
Longshot
Herco
Bullseye
Tight Group

I have a couple of others but these are the ones that get 90% of my loads done . If you can be happy with two , go for it .
I load for several of the big boys, 500JRH, 475 Linebaugh, 45 Colt, 44 mag, etc. As well as smaller stuff.
Power Pistol and 296 would cover me for most of it.
Originally Posted by shaman
Universal and H110 are about all I use anymore.

Same here! Occasionally some Unique, but usually the two listed by Shaman.
I can get along with just 2400 and Trail Boss but I like 700X too.
Power Pistol for the small cases.

H110/W296 or LIL'GUN for the big cases.
9mm Titegroup
45 ACP Bullseye
357 H110/Bullseye
44 H110/Bullseye
I don’t shoot 38 or 10mm
I could make Power Pistol work for the semi autos but I prefer light shooting loads. For all things revolver, 357 to 454 I can live with H110 and Bullseye.
For the Magnums H110 has ended up being my go to powder. I load for 357 Magnum, 357 Maximum, 44 Magnum, and 480 Ruger.
I also use AA#9, and it is a very good option also. Not a real fan of 2400. I also have some Lil Gun, but I do not use it much.

For 38 Special and 45 acp and 45 GAP Unique is still a very good option. It works in most handgun ammo from Mild to Warm. With powders being in short supply over the last few years I have also worked with several shotgun powders such as American Select which I now use frequently.

I do not load for 9mm, so lets get that out of the way.

I do load for 45 acp and 45 GAP, along with lots of 38 Special for my Steel Challenge Revolver. A while back I was working with my 45GAP to see what would work in it. I rounded up samples of about every handgun and shotgun powder available that had been used to load handgun ammo at some point. What I found was that every powder tested would produce useable loads. Some were a little dirty, but everything would produce acceptable mid range ammo.

With that being said for Two Powders that will work for every handgun that you own, Unique and H110 will get the job done. I could also replace Unique with American Select and not lose any sleep.

Bob R
Originally Posted by BKS

Why not use just one? HS6.
Limit myself to two?😂😂😂😂😂

Started with Unique and 296.
Tried and still have Red DOT, 4227, Titegroup, Universal, one of the Clays...

But haven't felt the need two change from,
Unique and 296.

9mm, 38, 357, 44 mag/specials, 45acp/colt. Jacketed, cast, shotshells.
Unique does all well.

Only need 296 for the hotter loads.

Someday I might swap Universal for Unique.
They are pretty much interchangeable in my uses.
Titegroup and 4227 does it for me.
I have done this for years.....

231/HP38 and 296/H110 dos everything I need in a pistol caliber.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I have done this for years.....

231/HP38 and 296/H110 dos everything I need in a pistol caliber.

Just tried some 231 in my 44 mag and a 240gr powder coated acme bullet. Out of my 6.5 629

832fps Average
ES Spread 14 FPS
Average 5 FPS

20rounds over the Chrono went into a 2” single hole at 15 yards
I will say that HS6 cleaned up nicely today in the 45acp. The loads I was trying to use it in a 44 mag was absolutely filthy.
I was loading 7.9grs of HS6 under a 230gr Berry’s Hybrid Hollowpoint today and it averaged

898 FPS
55 FPS ES
15 FPS SD

11 rounds thru the Chrono went into 1 hole that was .663 C2C at 15yards. The 12th hole, we just won’t worry about that one.. haha
Glock 41

Attached picture ECAAEA0E-3EF1-42DA-8EDD-9F0ED5E30274.jpeg
If only using two, 231/HP38 and 2400 would do everything I need
Originally Posted by Metalman52
If only using two, 231/HP38 and 2400 would do everything I need

Me too, I'm loading 380, 38 Spec., 9MM, 357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Spec., 45 ACP, 45 AR, 45 Colt
No brainer, the 2 I have, Bullseye & 2400.👍🏻😉
Unique and H110. I've got a crap ton of both for a reason I guess.

If I could have only two post shtf.
Universal & 2400 if you forced me I love H110 so I’d be sad but 2400 can do a lot.
I used AA#5 for a long time but have not seen it in a long time so I picked up some HS6 this weekend to try.
Originally Posted by pullit
I used AA#5 for a long time but have not seen it in a long time so I picked up some HS6 this weekend to try.

I was ready to give up on HS6 until I pushed it hard and it cleaned up. At lower pressure it is dirty.
I load 9mm, .45 ACP, .38 Special, and .357 Magnum, so I could probably get by with something like Unique and 2400.
Power Pistol and H110 / 296. I am only loading 9mm and 38 / 357.
I’m planning 10mm in the future.
A powder burn rate chart is your friend. Take a look and you will see witch powders are close friends. All most interchangeable. Hasbeen
For many many years it was Universal and 2400. I no longer use Universal, the NEW stuff from Canada was not dropping from my RCBS Uniflow without sticking. I contacted Hodgdon and complained, the TECH told me they had changed the formulation and applied a coating to it. I sold a 8# jug to a fellow that was using a Lee powder measure of some sort and he was happy with it. I began a quest for a replacement and settled on BE-86. Nice stuff, meters very smoothly and shoots great. I am using the same load data that I was using for Universal and Unique.
I load for 32 Auto, 9mm, 38/357, 41 mag, 45 acp and colt and my 2 go to powders are Titegroup and Trail Boss for all.
Have experimented with AA 9 for heavy magnum loads and like it as well, but 95% get one of the 2 favorites.
H110 and unique
or 2400 and unique
Originally Posted by Esox357
Unique
Easy choices for me…Blue Dot and Titegroup

Titegroup for my .500 S&W Mag cast bullet loads, and also works well for most smaller handgun calibers for target plinkers.

Blue Dot for hunting loads/self defense loads.

Doc_Holidude
I’d say unique and titegroup
Unique and H110
Unique and 2400
Originally Posted by HawkI
Longshot , CFE Pistol and Power Pistol I've ran in every round you mentioned.

That's how I roll as well. I'd also look at Clays or Universal Clays. I think they changed the name to just Universal now though. Works very well..
Love Unique.

H110/296.

Startin' to like ENFORCER.

VV N110. always great.
With extensive experience (25+ years) loading 380, 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 40 S&W, 10mm, 44 Special, 44 Mag, 45 Auto, and 45 Colt trying loads of powders from the old standby’s to newer stuff.

I now run it all with just two powders. For cast and jacketed both. Ramshot True Blue and Accurate No. 9.

If ever limited to just one powder, it would be True Blue!

Mark in GA
Ditto +100 on True Blue.
I've never felt a need to limit my powder choices; I try to find what's optimum for my load requirement.
I probably have 7 or 8 pistol powders in stock presently.
Unique and 2400.
AA#5 and AA#9
I suppose I'd get by with Universal or W231 and Alliant 2400. I've had some very good results using Accurate 4100 in place of 2400, but I'm not sure it's as versatile in my cartridge lineup.
these days it pays to keep your powder options open. For example, I have not found Unique in over a year, and have switched for the time being to Tight Group.
PV and Natchez have had Unique in a few times this year, but it sells out super fast. All the Alliant powders disappear quick anytime they restock. I still need to snag some 2400, been too slow on the draw for it online a few times now.

I've gotten really fond of CFEP of late. I got it just to fiddle with in a picky 45 Colt, but it has ended up shooting really well in several cartridges for me. The velocity isn't quite up to par with 2400, being faster burning, but the accuracy has been just as good or better in everything I've tried it in. The stuff was super plentiful online a while back, so I loaded up on it just in case I end up burning up all my 2400 before I get more.
That's no lie, Sam. I bought a 4 or 8 pounder of Universal for shotshells a long time ago, then mistakenly bought another shortly thereafter due to a brain fart of some kind. I scolded myself when I discovered my error, but just a few months ago decided to try the stuff in my New Frontier in .45 Colt. Results were very good and I have a dandy load for that fun shooter, so I have forgiven myself.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Unique and 2400.

Yep.
I'd go with 2400 instead of H110/296 for the slow powder because 2400 has a broader range of use and does not need to be loaded to max. or near max. like the manufacturers recommend. 2400 works well with standard primers as well.
It’s hard to go wrong with so many mentioned. Unique is dirty but very stable with results, bullseye is also stable. H110 if you demand max, but 2400 covers a lot of ground. It’s really hard to go wrong.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Unique and 2400.

Yep.

+1 here
Those do everything I need to do
W231 and Enforcer would cover me if I had to go that route.

I could sub Universal for the 231
I’ve become very fond of the Enforcer for all the same reasons as others list 2400. They are side by side on the burn chart which I never noticed till this thread.
H-110/296 & Ĺongshot
All my needs for 45 ACP, 44 Special, 44 mag, 480 Ruger can be handled with Power Pistol and H110/W296. In my 1911s I can get +P speeds comfortably and even better in the 44 special with Power Pistol. Full power loads from H110 get used for hunting and familiarization
CFEP and H110, covers ,"mild to wild." But, I use alot of TrailBoss and 2400. On the plus side, H110 works great in .300BLK.
Unique, 2400.
Green Dot for
9mm
45 acp
40 sw
12 gauge
I use Power Pistol and H110.
9mm
38 Special
357 Magnum
For years I ran a bunch of Longshot and titegroup with some pp300mp for true magnum stuff. Now that I'm casting again and powder coating I'm trying several other options.

I've often wished they would come up with a new 800x that metered better than corn flakes and was flash suppressed that would be my idea of an ultimate powder. I've got great speeds with 800x in 44 mag and 10mm but I had to weigh each load which just isn't acceptable. Be-86 is kind of close but still can't get 800x speeds

Bb
© 24hourcampfire